The Student Room Group

FCO Graduate Intern Scheme 2019

I saw some posts on the 2018 group and figured we needed a 2019 version! Has anyone else applied? Deadline is today so good luck everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Just submitted mine! I wonder how many people applied, seems fairly under the radar compared to most of the CS graduate offerings.
Reply 2
My computer died and I didn't finish it in time...but it hasn't logged me out or anything?
I submitted it just in time with seconds to go. I was a little bit uncertain by the motivation and personal development question though
(edited 5 years ago)
Also they changed the deadline for application and there was a smaller application window compared to previous years. Do you think this will result in fewer applications?
Reply 5
Yeah, my careers advisor mentioned that it was weirdly unknown... I guess they don't want to advertise it too much in case they get too many applicants? Who knows!
Original post by aubreywannabe
Just submitted mine! I wonder how many people applied, seems fairly under the radar compared to most of the CS graduate offerings.
Reply 6
Yeah, the application window seemed really tight! It was what.. like 10 days or something? I'd like to think that means there are fewer applicants but this is the FCO... so... who knows! :biggrin:
Original post by C..bennet2
Also they changed the deadline for application and there was a smaller application window compared to previous years. Do you think this will result in fewer applications?
Reply 7
Sent off my application last week, so hopefully the results of the sift won't take too long to be announced
Reply 8
What is the next stage of the process- online tests or video interview?
I’ve also applied this! I remember reading through previous years threads and it seemed like there was a lack of interest but actually there were quite a lot of applications!

Not holding out too much hope as my academic background isn’t really directly related to the FCO as someone who has studied maybe languages or international relations would be!
Reply 10
I thought they didn't really look at that kind of thing as it's supposed to be 'blind' - though maybe I'm thinking of the Fast Stream?
From what I've read on threads from previous years, it seems to be based solely on the competencies. I read that some people who had relevant degrees and years of direct work experience weren't successful whereas some fresh graduates with non-relevant degrees and no professional experience were successful... Maybe someone else here has heard/read differently?
Original post by fairplaytoyou
I’ve also applied this! I remember reading through previous years threads and it seemed like there was a lack of interest but actually there were quite a lot of applications!

Not holding out too much hope as my academic background isn’t really directly related to the FCO as someone who has studied maybe languages or international relations would be!
Reply 11
Honestly I’d never count yourself out when it comes to the Civil Service. They actively try to make recruitment as fair as possible through censored information (ie no names are revealed unless we make it to the interview stage). Saw a few people on last years thread getting annoyed that candidates that hadn’t even finished uni had progressed through the sift when they hadn’t, despite years of experience in NGOs etc. But in my view, as frustrating as it can be, the system creates a level playing field, which is great if you lack experience and annoying if you have it. Ultimately comes down to how well you wrote your competencies. Make it through that stage and then experience and personality comes to the fore.

I personally have worked for the CS post-uni (not diplomacy just standard stuff) and have a degree in International Relations, yet I’m still apprehensive about whether my competencies were up to scratch!
Original post by fairplaytoyou

Hey! I also applied - didn't have much luck with the Fast Stream so hoping this might be a little more successful! But who knows with the Civil Service. I study French and Russian so the FCO would be a dream, I just hope I've answered the competency questions well enough.
Original post by OSH996
I thought they didn't really look at that kind of thing as it's supposed to be 'blind' - though maybe I'm thinking of the Fast Stream?
From what I've read on threads from previous years, it seems to be based solely on the competencies. I read that some people who had relevant degrees and years of direct work experience weren't successful whereas some fresh graduates with non-relevant degrees and no professional experience were successful... Maybe someone else here has heard/read differently?

Original post by CC1617
Honestly I’d never count yourself out when it comes to the Civil Service. They actively try to make recruitment as fair as possible through censored information (ie no names are revealed unless we make it to the interview stage). Saw a few people on last years thread getting annoyed that candidates that hadn’t even finished uni had progressed through the sift when they hadn’t, despite years of experience in NGOs etc. But in my view, as frustrating as it can be, the system creates a level playing field, which is great if you lack experience and annoying if you have it. Ultimately comes down to how well you wrote your competencies. Make it through that stage and then experience and personality comes to the fore.

I personally have worked for the CS post-uni (not diplomacy just standard stuff) and have a degree in International Relations, yet I’m still apprehensive about whether my competencies were up to scratch!

Thanks both of you - that’s reassuring to hear! I knew that they looked at the competencies at first, but going through old threads most people seemed to be from the most obvious sort of background!
Yeah I bet most of us applying to this scheme have already failed to get into the Fast Stream haha
Original post by reeannonnalicia
Hey! I also applied - didn't have much luck with the Fast Stream so hoping this might be a little more successful! But who knows with the Civil Service. I study French and Russian so the FCO would be a dream, I just hope I've answered the competency questions well enough.
Reply 15
I haven't applied for Fast Steam before! I was planning on applying to it when it opens in the Autumn. Was this application similar to the Fast Steam one in terms of style/types of questions? Obviously, it doesn't include the numerous exams that you need to do for the Fast Stream, but I read somewhere that the competencies are similar. Is that true?

I also read on a TSR thread that if you've done well in the Fast Stream you should be well prepared for the video interview required for the FCO internship. So you guys should have an advantage!
Original post by aubreywannabe
Yeah I bet most of us applying to this scheme have already failed to get into the Fast Stream haha
Hopefully the video interview will be good prep for this one. Fast Stream doesn't have any written competency questions up front so different in that regard, but yeah same sort of competencies
Reply 17
Did everyone here get an email about the 'Customer Satisfaction Survey' from Civil Service recruiting? Seems weird that this would be sent out before the application process is complete? :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Yes, I got one too. Not gonna lie, I saw RE: *job code* FCO Graduate Internship - We would like to invite... and thought it was good news until I clicked on the email haha. Though the turnaround on that would have been incredibly fast.
Original post by OSH996
Did everyone here get an email about the 'Customer Satisfaction Survey' from Civil Service recruiting? Seems weird that this would be sent out before the application process is complete? :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Hahha! I did the exact same! My heart stopped for a second :tongue:
Original post by CC1617
Yes, I got one too. Not gonna lie, I saw RE: *job code* FCO Graduate Internship - We would like to invite... and thought it was good news until I clicked on the email haha. Though the turnaround on that would have been incredibly fast.

Quick Reply

Latest