The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I heard LSE needs 7 A* minimum like Oxbridge. Not sure thoughhh. Good question =]
Reply 2
I thought unis chose on the basis of A-Levels...
persian.royalty
I heard LSE needs 7 A* minimum like Oxbridge. Not sure thoughhh. Good question =]

"Like Oxbridge"?

Oxbridge does not have any formal GCSE requirements. People have got in without GCSEs before.

LSE, it is believed, has a criterion of something like 8A* to be shortlisted for straight Economics (L100?), and something like 6A* for a couple of other courses (Law, maybe), but then for others, it is relatively easy to get onto the course - LSE was even in UCAS Extra for a couple of degree programmes this year.
persian.royalty

rubbish LSE does not need 7 A*'s. Of course economics is a popular course, so the required gcse grades year on year, will depend entirely on the competition for places. If youv got a string of just A's good PS, and great alevel grades and references, your likely to stand a good chance of getting in as another person. Remember unis dont JUST look at your grades, e.g. one year i read in the paper that a guy who did 10 alevels (yes thats right 10) got 8A's and 2 B's in his Alevels and got rejected from oxbridge.
A well rounded individual is far better than one whos just a complete nerd.
Reply 5
thanks for the help, does anyone have any information on UCL requirements
alenax
I thought unis chose on the basis of A-Levels...

The top two tiers of unis tend to look at GCSEs as well, because it's to easy to get AAA, and there are so many people predicted it, that they need something else to distinguish between applicants.

Also, GCSEs have been proven to be a better academic indicator of degree success than A-Levels. :smile:
ever consider looking on the UCL website for yourself?
Reply 8
alright calm down i said i heardddd
thats a relief anyway
i can calm down a bit
haha
Reply 9
Greatleysteg
The top two tiers of unis tend to look at GCSEs as well, because it's to easy to get AAA, and there are so many people predicted it, that they need something else to distinguish between applicants.

Also, GCSEs have been proven to be a better academic indicator of degree success than A-Levels. :smile:

Fair enough, that makes sense then.

How have they been proven to be a better academic indicator? I'm not trying to discredit your point, actually genuinely interested!
alenax
Fair enough, that makes sense then.

How have they been proven to be a better academic indicator? I'm not trying to discredit your point, actually genuinely interested!

I don't know the specifics, just that there's a much stronger correlation between people who got X number of good grades (A*/A/B) and those who got a First, than those who got, say AAA and got a First. And this continues down all the degree classifications.
Reply 11
Greatleysteg
I don't know the specifics, just that there's a much stronger correlation between people who got X number of good grades (A*/A/B) and those who got a First, than those who got, say AAA and got a First. And this continues down all the degree classifications.

Ahh I see... sounds promising for me then! Ha
Basically ''A*'s with a sprinkle of A's''

If you have more A*'s than any other grade, you are definately fine on the front. If less, it might be a slight hinderence to the application.
Reply 13
iceman_jondoe
rubbish LSE does not need 7 A*'s. Of course economics is a popular course, so the required gcse grades year on year, will depend entirely on the competition for places. If youv got a string of just A's good PS, and great alevel grades and references, your likely to stand a good chance of getting in as another person. Remember unis dont JUST look at your grades, e.g. one year i read in the paper that a guy who did 10 alevels (yes thats right 10) got 8A's and 2 B's in his Alevels and got rejected from oxbridge.
A well rounded individual is far better than one whos just a complete nerd.

that's just wrong with reference to the top universities, being a well rounded person means nothing, you need that something special to show that you are intelligent and passionate. 10 A-levels, especially getting a B in 2 doesn't demonstrate intelligence, in demonstrates ridiculous work rate, and to my mind stupidity due to the pointlessness of doing all that. Oxbridge want stunning interview performance, if your smart enough you get in, this "well-rounded" stuff is complete rubbish, and out of the 6-7 oxbridge admissions tutors I have talked to, every single one of them has said this.

Oxbridge say that they look at your GCSE grades with respect to your schools grades, so if your in the top 5 at your school, it's kind of irrelevant what grades you actually got. However you presumably will need an A* in maths to do an economicsy degree.
Greatleysteg
"Like Oxbridge"?
LSE was even in UCAS Extra for a couple of degree programmes this year.

Thats not true, Oxford was for 1 course, but LSE was not in UCAS Extra.
Callipygian
Thats not true, Oxford was for 1 course, but LSE was not in UCAS Extra.

Actually, it is true.

There is someone on this forum who had their choice rendered void because the course was removed.

They then were able to fill that space with a Management and Something (Finance, Geography... not sure) course. On Extra.

Fact.

I also doubt Oxford was in Extra.
JoMo1
that's just wrong with reference to the top universities, being a well rounded person means nothing, you need that something special to show that you are intelligent and passionate. 10 A-levels, especially getting a B in 2 doesn't demonstrate intelligence, in demonstrates ridiculous work rate, and to my mind stupidity due to the pointlessness of doing all that. Oxbridge want stunning interview performance, if your smart enough you get in, this "well-rounded" stuff is complete rubbish, and out of the 6-7 oxbridge admissions tutors I have talked to, every single one of them has said this.

Oxbridge say that they look at your GCSE grades with respect to your schools grades, so if your in the top 5 at your school, it's kind of irrelevant what grades you actually got. However you presumably will need an A* in maths to do an economicsy degree.

I think yrou right to, but its def a combo of the two. I dont think im wrong, I know someone who is on the admissions team at LSE and one guy at Kings and this is what they told me. Im only going by what they said.
Greatleysteg
Actually, it is true.

There is someone on this forum who had their choice rendered void because the course was removed.

They then were able to fill that space with a Management and Something (Finance, Geography... not sure) course. On Extra.

Fact.

lol thats hardly entering UCAS extra, it says here they dont enter it.
and Oxford did enter it for one obscure course (thinking back it could have been Cambridge), i cant remember what it was, something like Asian studies or something.

Ahh, whoops, yeah it was cambridge
Greatleysteg
Actually, it is true.

Fact.

Oxford and Cambridge do sometimes appear in Extra, but only for 1 or 2 courses. LSE, as a rule of thumb, NEVER apply to appear in it, and if they do, it's because the relevant information hasn't been passed to UCAS in time.

As for GCSEs, as long as you have Bs/Cs in Maths and English then it shouldn't be too much of a problem, although for the top courses you'll need quite a few A*s.
Reply 19
Greatleysteg
LSE was even in UCAS Extra for a couple of degree programmes this year.

It definitely wasnt. A friend of mine who was considering declining his offers called the admissions office in December 07 and they said they would not be in Extra in 2008

Latest

Trending

Trending