The Student Room Group

Missing Out in Classes

Hello everyone,

I'm in YR11 and I'm coming up to my final exams (GCSEs). I'll put it simply: I'm struggling a lot with my mental health and I feel like it's declining again, and in turn I talked to the guidance teacher about my problems.

The thing is that I struggle being in class a lot. There's something about being around other people in a tight space that makes me feel so much more clueless than I already am - and although I tend to be obnoxiously loud, there are so many times where I need quiet / silence to let myself think.

I'm a logical thinker so when I come across problems concerning my mental health, I feel empty because I have none.

The guidance teacher gave me permission to leave class whenever I want to and go to a separate room to do independent study. Independent study helps me a lot because I know that it gives me time to revise, continue to do work and give me the quiet I need. It also gives me the option to not do work if I'm that emotionally shattered. The guidance teacher also agreed to check up on me daily.

As GCSEs are coming up, the majority of my classes are focusing on revision and finishing tiny bits of incomplete courses. I was thinking, should I really miss out on whole days, go to lessons all the time and force myself to do them or should I just go to lessons where I know I still need to be taught specific things?

It might seem simple to answer but I'm at a standstill... my mental health isn't the best right now.

Thank you in advance. All answers are appreciated.
I think you shouldn't panic too much. My anxiety started at the beginning of year 11 and everyone feels roughly in the same boat as you - it's a stressful time in your life right now - the important thing is to remember thousands of 15 and 16 year olds are going through the same thing as you right now, try to keep calm :smile:

I suggest going to as many lessons as you can and only leaving when you really cannot stand it anymore. As someone that has done my GCSE's, from personal experience, lessons are much more valuable in terms of explanations and little details which are vital gaps in your knowledge. If you're in a class where you're super confident in your knowledge, don't go to it and do revision instead because in the end every minute counts so best spend your time wisely.

Well done for revising and working hard, I promise it will pay off when you have a lovely long summer! (This summer was the best of my life!) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending