The Student Room Group

what uni should i put as my insurance? (I NEED HELP)

Hello! So the other day I heard back from my last choice (it was a rejection but i honenstly couldn't care less as it was my less favourite uni/course) and now my next step is to choose my firm and insurance choices.
I'm a Spanish applicant with offers to study English Literature/Comparative Literature at the University of Glasgow, English at the University of Birmingham and World Literature at the University of Kent.
Due to the course being my favourite and the free tuition fees I'm 100% sure I want to firm Glasgow. However, the conditions to their offer are very hard to reach (I would have to get a 9/10 overall and at least two 9's in any of my humanities subjects (this latter requirement I'm pretty sure I can reach), as well as a 13/14 overall in the PAU exams (the most similar thing we have to your A-Levels) which is very hard to get and, from what I've heard, Scottish unis aren't very lenient with applicants who have no fees to pay; that's why I feel like I need to make a very important decision for my future when deciding my Insurance choice,
As a non-british applicant I couldn't manage to visit all my university choices (I only went to Birmingham because I was hesitant about whether I liked the course or not, and I ended up so in love with the Uni) so I can't choose based on my experience visiting.
I love both courses and I can see myself going to any of them; also their conditions are pretty reacheable (for Birmingham I need an 8,2/10 overall (which I think I can get) and a 9 in English; and for Kent I only need a 7,6/10 overall (which I am for sure capable of getting).
I've gathered the following pros and cons for each uni:

BIRMINGHAM:
Pros:
- It's Russel Group uni / higher in the charts
- Easier to access as an Interational applicant as the city has an airport
- I've visited it (I know what to expect from it)
- I am very passionate about a lot of modules
Cons:
- Its requirements are higher
- The high crime rate scares me a little bit
- I'm scared I will be behind on the course as I don't have much famliarity with English literature (we don't study it in our English classes and I feel like everyone will know a lot about it and I will be the only one with only basic knowleadge)

KENT:
Pros:
- It's the course I originally intended to do
- I LOVE all the subjects and I appreciate that most of them are all coursework
- I love the flexivity of the course and how I can choose modules from other courses
- It has lower entry requirements

Cons:
- I would need to travel to London everytime I need to come back home
- I haven't visited it
- It's less prestigious

I also don't really mind the nightlife as I'm not someone who really enjoys nights out.

Based on all that, which uni should I put as my Insurance? As you an see I am in love with both and I am very scared I won't make the right choice for me and I'll end up somewhere I won't enjoy being in.
And in the hypothetical case that I put Birmingham and missed the grades, would I be able to apply to Kent for the course I originally had applied through clearing?
are the Birmingham requirements higher than the Glasgow ones or the Kent ones?
The 2 are very different. Birmingham is a huge city and Canterbury a very small one. Where do you think you will settle best. Canterbury is not that far from Gatwick or Heathrow airports and for the number of times you will make the journey it really isnt an issue. Being part of RG doesnt mean anything. The big issue is where you will be happiest.
Reply 3
They are higher than the Kent ones but lower than Glasgow's
Original post by (3.1415926535)
are the Birmingham requirements higher than the Glasgow ones or the Kent ones?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
If you don't think you can meet your offer from Glasgow, then it would be unwise to put a uni that you haven't visited as your Insurance choice. I would recommend that if you feel that Kent could be for you, you hop on a cheap flight and visit it. I know it might not be as simple as that, but if you possibly can do it, it would make all the difference.

Personally, I love the campus of Birmingham University, but I couldn't stand living in such a huge city. Canterbury, I believe, is a beautiful place, but I don't know very much about the university. It's also very important to consider the courses - if you prefer the idea of studying World Literature to English Lit, that's a significant factor.

Good luck!
Original post by martaagc01
They are higher than the Kent Inés but líder than Glasgow's

Ok so basically don’t base your choice on the Russell Group- it’s genuinely not that important for quality of degree, the Russell Group is just about what research they do. If you like the Kent course more, go for that, and honestly the airport thing isn’t much of a problem as from Kent you can get to an airport by train in less than an hour (pretty sure about this anyway). Also think about what kinda environment you like bc Birmingham is a big city and area around Kent isn’t as crowded, (although Birmingham uni isn’t in the most proper crowded area).
The journey times to the Airports are more like 2 hours. Gatwick would be a lot easier than Heathrow. You could catch a train from Canterbury East to London Victoria and pick up the Gatwick Express from there.
Hi!

I'm in my third year at Kent so any University of Kent related questions I'm more than happy to help answer!
In terms of selecting your insurance choice I'd definitely recommend going with the university that offers the course that appeals to you the most as this will have quite an impact on your university experience. Kent has a Unibuddy system that lets prospective students talk to current students on the same course, here's the link; https://www.kent.ac.uk/unibuddy/ You can ask them all kinds of course related questions which could be helpful in making your final decision.
Although Kent is less prestigious than the other universities you are looking at and is not a Russell Group, it still ranks relatively high among UK universities. To be totally honest, my friends and I have found that the prestige/ranking of the university matters little when applying for graduate jobs and internships, what people really seem focussed on is the grade that you achieved in your degree. So that's why I'd definitely encourage you to choose the university with the course that appeals to you the most.

As you're not able to visit Kent, you might find the online virtual tours quite helpful to get you an idea of what campus is like. You can do tours of the accommodation, catering outlets, social spaces, and academic facilities. Here is the link; https://www.kent.ac.uk/hospitality/virtual-tours/student/?/canterbury/accommodation
To get to an airport it is likely that you will have to travel into London in order to fly out. But from Canterbury West train station (the closest one to the University of Kent campus) you can get to central London in under an hour, so even though you do have to go into London, it won't take ages!

There is always the opportunity to get into most universities through clearing, although, there is no guarantee that the specific course you're interested in will be in clearing. It all just depends on the number of people who did or didn't get the grades on the day or who chose to go elsewhere. Clearing is still an option but don't 100% bank on it, you could find yourself still going to the university that you want but maybe not the course you originally wanted.

I hope that all of this helps a bit! Let me know if you have any other questions about the University of Kent or about UCAS and University applications in general, I'm more than happy to help :smile:

Hello! So the other day I heard back from my last choice (it was a rejection but i honenstly couldn't care less as it was my less favourite uni/course) and now my next step is to choose my firm and insurance choices.
I'm a Spanish applicant with offers to study English Literature/Comparative Literature at the University of Glasgow, English at the University of Birmingham and World Literature at the University of Kent.
Due to the course being my favourite and the free tuition fees I'm 100% sure I want to firm Glasgow. However, the conditions to their offer are very hard to reach (I would have to get a 9/10 overall and at least two 9's in any of my humanities subjects (this latter requirement I'm pretty sure I can reach), as well as a 13/14 overall in the PAU exams (the most similar thing we have to your A-Levels) which is very hard to get and, from what I've heard, Scottish unis aren't very lenient with applicants who have no fees to pay; that's why I feel like I need to make a very important decision for my future when deciding my Insurance choice,
As a non-british applicant I couldn't manage to visit all my university choices (I only went to Birmingham because I was hesitant about whether I liked the course or not, and I ended up so in love with the Uni) so I can't choose based on my experience visiting.
I love both courses and I can see myself going to any of them; also their conditions are pretty reacheable (for Birmingham I need an 8,2/10 overall (which I think I can get) and a 9 in English; and for Kent I only need a 7,6/10 overall (which I am for sure capable of getting).
I've gathered the following pros and cons for each uni:

BIRMINGHAM:
Pros:
- It's Russel Group uni / higher in the charts
- Easier to access as an Interational applicant as the city has an airport
- I've visited it (I know what to expect from it)
- I am very passionate about a lot of modules
Cons:
- Its requirements are higher
- The high crime rate scares me a little bit
- I'm scared I will be behind on the course as I don't have much famliarity with English literature (we don't study it in our English classes and I feel like everyone will know a lot about it and I will be the only one with only basic knowleadge)

KENT:
Pros:
- It's the course I originally intended to do
- I LOVE all the subjects and I appreciate that most of them are all coursework
- I love the flexivity of the course and how I can choose modules from other courses
- It has lower entry requirements

Cons:
- I would need to travel to London everytime I need to come back home
- I haven't visited it
- It's less prestigious

I also don't really mind the nightlife as I'm not someone who really enjoys nights out.

Based on all that, which uni should I put as my Insurance? As you an see I am in love with both and I am very scared I won't make the right choice for me and I'll end up somewhere I won't enjoy being in.
And in the hypothetical case that I put Birmingham and missed the grades, would I be able to apply to Kent for the course I originally had applied through clearing?
Reply 8
Thank you for your reply!
Do you know if I would be likely to get uni accomodation if I insure Kent?
I know they don't guarantee it but are there any chances i would get a room in uni halls?

Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi!

I'm in my third year at Kent so any University of Kent related questions I'm more than happy to help answer!
In terms of selecting your insurance choice I'd definitely recommend going with the university that offers the course that appeals to you the most as this will have quite an impact on your university experience. Kent has a Unibuddy system that lets prospective students talk to current students on the same course, here's the link; https://www.kent.ac.uk/unibuddy/ You can ask them all kinds of course related questions which could be helpful in making your final decision.
Although Kent is less prestigious than the other universities you are looking at and is not a Russell Group, it still ranks relatively high among UK universities. To be totally honest, my friends and I have found that the prestige/ranking of the university matters little when applying for graduate jobs and internships, what people really seem focussed on is the grade that you achieved in your degree. So that's why I'd definitely encourage you to choose the university with the course that appeals to you the most.

As you're not able to visit Kent, you might find the online virtual tours quite helpful to get you an idea of what campus is like. You can do tours of the accommodation, catering outlets, social spaces, and academic facilities. Here is the link; https://www.kent.ac.uk/hospitality/virtual-tours/student/?/canterbury/accommodation
To get to an airport it is likely that you will have to travel into London in order to fly out. But from Canterbury West train station (the closest one to the University of Kent campus) you can get to central London in under an hour, so even though you do have to go into London, it won't take ages!

There is always the opportunity to get into most universities through clearing, although, there is no guarantee that the specific course you're interested in will be in clearing. It all just depends on the number of people who did or didn't get the grades on the day or who chose to go elsewhere. Clearing is still an option but don't 100% bank on it, you could find yourself still going to the university that you want but maybe not the course you originally wanted.

I hope that all of this helps a bit! Let me know if you have any other questions about the University of Kent or about UCAS and University applications in general, I'm more than happy to help :smile:
It is very likely that even if you put Kent as your insurance choice, that you will still get accommodation on campus. First year students are prioritised in the accommodation allocation process. As with most things like this, there is always a small chance that this may not happen. However, during my time here I have not heard of any first years not getting any accommodation on campus. I hope that this puts your mind at ease :smile:
Thank you for your reply!
Do you know if I would be likely to get uni accomodation if I insure Kent?
I know they don't guarantee it but are there any chances i would get a room in uni halls?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending