The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Thank you this thread is very entertaining and has amused me.

Exeter is fine you should have looked round before going there like any sensible person would.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
No its not fine.Or if it is fine then there are much better universities to study.It's a comparison process.
Original post by Jenx301
Thank you this thread is very entertaining and has amused me.

Exeter is fine you should have looked round before going there like any sensible person would.
It is a good university to go to and I firmly believe that for anyone thinking of going to uni, there is no best university other than the one that suits that person's situation. Plus you can't say its a bad uni when you think there's not enough trees like you actually have to talk about quality of teaching and job prospects when talking about how ''good'' a uni is.
Original post by Studentvoice443
No its not fine.Or if it is fine then there are much better universities to study.It's a comparison process.

IT’S YOUR OPINION.

Someone else might have the exact same feelings if they studied at Durham or UCL or Birmingham or wherever.

Just because you hate somewhere, you don’t need to try and enforce that on someone else as university is a personal decision.

You might have loved it if you went to UCL day or you may have hated it, you don’t know. Same with someone who goes to Exeter as it’s a personal choice.
Here is proof that this person did not even read my essay. I did talk about quality of teaching and job prospects in the essay. I have said before and I will say again, It's your job to learn how to read not my job to teach you. If you haven't read it then go back to read it. There are nicer universities to go to which are just as good academically. Academically speaking the top 50 are all the same. Again, I made that point in my essay.
Original post by SimpleMathsPhys
It is a good university to go to and I firmly believe that for anyone thinking of going to uni, there is no best university other than the one that suits that person's situation. Plus you can't say its a bad uni when you think there's not enough trees like you actually have to talk about quality of teaching and job prospects when talking about how ''good'' a uni is.
Why I put the video on the thread in the first place was not to do with diversity at all. It's what they say about Exeter and the city that backs up my points in the essay. And the part where they talk about false advertising regarding diversity is important, in as far as it reinforces my point about the broader media campaign Exeter university use to dupe people, as that's how she felt,duped. They also mention the importance of actually really thinking about whether a university is for you.If they had used the comparison process in a better way, then they would not have gone to Exeter.

I watched it and the whole video was on diversity from the perspective of BAME students.

When they visited, they would have know that Exeter is mainly white and homogeneous.

When they say diversity, they usually mean internationals from Asia or the US who are loaded, not black students. If she’d looked in more depth, she’d have been able to see this and find out the stats.

They should have done more research, as should you.
Here is proof that this person did not even read my essay. I did talk about quality of teaching and job prospects in the essay. I have said before and I will say again, It's your job to learn how to read not my job to teach you. If you haven't read it then go back to read it. There are nicer universities to go to which are just as good academically. Academically speaking the top 50 are all the same. Again, I made that point in my essay.

Again, nicer universities is very opinionated. Someone could do a 4000 word essay on why they loved Exeter - are they wrong?

It’s a personal choice, let’s leave it at that.
watching Ibz Mo and Selina Ozay it seems like this opinion is a common theme!
Tbh, I was going to apply to Exeter through UCAS, it was one of my 5 main universities. I looked at the website and saw its horrible accomidation (in my opinion) My sister also did some research on the school for me and told the school was racist, so I stayed clear of the school. I don't have the oppurtunity to visit open days because I am an international student, it's not like I can fly to the school, visit the open day, and fly back. So I had to watch a lot of videos, reviews, view pictures and go into virtual reality to decide what school I wanted to go to.
Original post by JayJ2001
Tbh, I was going to apply to Exeter through UCAS, it was one of my 5 main universities. I looked at the website and saw its horrible accomidation (in my opinion) My sister also did some research on the school for me and told the school was racist, so I stayed clear of the school. I don't have the oppurtunity to visit open days because I am an international student, it's not like I can fly to the school, visit the open day, and fly back. So I had to watch a lot of videos, reviews, view pictures and go into virtual reality to decide what school I wanted to go to.

And that’s your opinion and your entitled for that - it’s not for everyone and you’ve formed that decision yourself.

You have to decide the best place for you and if that’s Exeter or not that’s fair.
The problem with your argument my friend is that it does not exist. You literally have no argument.I think you drank too many sugary drinks last night and woke up on the wrong side of bed. You are probably more of a Dora the explorer type anyway, that level of intelligence.Thomas the tank engine probably confuses you.

OP please let me show you something.

899BB68F-1925-45DC-94CB-E36D3DC1FD1F.png

This is evidence taken from UCAS in 2017 of the different backgrounds of students from 2012-2017.

In 2017, the intake of black people was 50 - so that’s 1.5% of the entire intake.

It does lack diversity, especially for black students but when you apply you know that. It’s not false advertising as you can clearly find the information online about inclusiveness and diversity.

Please answer that :smile:
Original post by JayJ2001

The uni isn’t racist. That’s like saying after the recent scandal at Warwick, that the whole uni is sexist or that Oxbridge is classist. It’s also a bit weird that you aren’t able to visit the uni for yourself
Original post by Arisapo

This is evidence taken from UCAS in 2017 of the different backgrounds of students from 2012-2017.

In 2017, the intake of black people was 50 - so that’s 1.5% of the entire intake.

It does lack diversity, especially for black students but when you apply you know that. It’s not false advertising as you can clearly find the information online about inclusiveness and diversity.

Knowing that the intake is 1.5% black - look at https://www.exeter.ac.uk/, scroll through the images on their front page (the ones that start on "Exeter subjects ranked amongst world’s best" ). Or https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/ and scroll through the images there.

Do you think that the imagery Exeter is using on the front page of their website gives a misleading picture of diversity at Exeter?
(edited 5 years ago)
Exeter has had royal family members, MP’s, CEO’s of multi million pound law firms graduate happily from the university.
Every year so many different people invest into Exeter

It’s the 12th best university in the country right now with most of its subjects in the top 20.

Exeter is more than fine.
You’re upset because your university experience didn’t go how you had imagined it to go
Firstly you shouldn’t have had preconceived notions of what to expect anyways you should have started with an open mind
Secondly if it was really that bad you should have left ages ago

All of your issues with Exeter are personal problems.
Exeter is a great university and your personal problems aren’t going to change that.

So instead of ranting figure out a way to make your experience better.

Original post by PQ
Knowing that the intake is 1.5% black - look at https://www.exeter.ac.uk/, scroll through the images on their front page (the ones that start on "Exeter subjects ranked amongst world’s best" ). Or https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/ and scroll through the images there.

Do you think that the imagery Exeter is using on the front page of their website gives a misleading picture of diversity at Exeter?

You make a good point and it is misleading in that sense but it's marketing at the end of the day - if they want BAME students to come, they'll advertise it.

But if you look in detail and read about it, you can easily find the stats for yourself, which people should do if they're that concerned about it.

If you just look around the campus you see it's predominately a white student body so I don't know why people see this and know this and then complain there's little diversity - what do you expect?
Well you are wrong and foolish to believe that. I stated that his favourite TV show was playing and that he should get ready to watch it with a glass of milk.Call me a hypocrite (lie) call me whatever your small brain can come up with. I've written the truth for all to see. And like the person who stated he was now avoiding Exeter, clearly the truth is having a deep impact.

He didn't even look around it like you, and it's not had a deep impact on many people.

No one here believes you even go to Exeter or if you do, you were likely kicked out or are failing your degree and blame Exeter for your shortcomings.

If someone wants to go to Exeter, let them, you probably wouldn't have been happy wherever.
That person on Francesca's video that you have watched said that they felt misled by how Exeter portrayed the university on their website in terms of diversity.You can find the information online about %,but clearly she didn't or overlooked doing that.But she specifically said it was the website that made her feel misled,not what UCAS said.Actually both of the interviewees said that they had a different expectations to what Exeter was going to be, compared to what it is,in terms of diversity. When it is 2 people saying the same thing, its more than just an anomaly of judgement. But its more than just the diversity issue. One of the interviewees says its a more general feeling of having been lied to and that backs up the points I made in my essay.
Original post by Arisapo

Original post by Arisapo
You make a good point and it is misleading in that sense but it's marketing at the end of the day - if they want BAME students to come, they'll advertise it.

But if you look in detail and read about it, you can easily find the stats for yourself, which people should do if they're that concerned about it.

If you just look around the campus you see it's predominately a white student body so I don't know why people see this and know this and then complain there's little diversity - what do you expect?

It's difficult. But given that BAME students are more likely to come from low incomes or be international students then those are two groups less likely to be able to afford to visit a university for an open day.

And when applicants ask on TSR whether a university is diverse they're very often attacked for "reverse racism". The stats from UCAS have only been available for the last 2 years - and they're not exactly front and centre on the UCAS website. I know where they are and it takes 6 clicks to get to a report from the homepage (often on counterintuitive links). It's hardly fair to blame students for not finding those stats and believing the image that Exeter painted of itself.
And black people doesn’t mean diversity
There are loads of people who maybe are mixed race but class themselves as white so categorise themselves as white
Original post by Arisapo

That person on Francesca's video that you have watched said that they felt misled by how Exeter portrayed the university on their website in terms of diversity.You can find the information online about %,but clearly she didn't or overlooked doing that.But she specifically said it was the website that made her feel misled,not what UCAS said.Actually both of the interviewees said that they had a different expectations to what Exeter was going to be, compared to what it is,in terms of diversity. When it is 2 people saying the same thing, its more than just an anomaly of judgement. But its more than just the diversity issue. One of the interviewees says its a more general feeling of having been lied to and that backs up the points I made in my essay.

Francesca this, Francesca that. What about your experience? Do you have friends? Have you been out? What is the course like? You haven’t answered any of those questions, so I’m doubting your experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending