The Student Room Group

KCL International Affairs or YORK MPP/MPA, or QMUL MPP

Hi! I was admitted at the following and don’t know what to do: Kings College for International Affairs Master (security related)University of York Master in Public AdministrationUniversity of York Master in Social Policy and Public PolicyQueen Mary University of London, Master in international public policiesI study both subjects so what I look for is prestige and a challenging school, since I already hold a couple of masters more. I want this to be my last since I will pursue a PhD in Public Policy at Oxford.Help!!!
Original post by Euni
Hi! I was admitted at the following and don’t know what to do: Kings College for International Affairs Master (security related)University of York Master in Public AdministrationUniversity of York Master in Social Policy and Public PolicyQueen Mary University of London, Master in international public policiesI study both subjects so what I look for is prestige and a challenging school, since I already hold a couple of masters more. I want this to be my last since I will pursue a PhD in Public Policy at Oxford.Help!!!

I'm assuming you don't already have a PhD offer from Oxford. What are your previous masters in? I question why you are collecting them? Oxford (or any uni) is going to look at your knowledge and experience not how many masters you have or prestige (whatever that means).
Reply 2
Got it. My previous masters are specialized, since I had a previous job that required them. Not collecting them at all! But I since they are Mexican (I’m Mexican) degrees, I feel like I would have more chance If I have a UK degree
Thanks in advance
Original post by alleycat393
I'm assuming you don't already have a PhD offer from Oxford. What are your previous masters in? I question why you are collecting them? Oxford (or any uni) is going to look at your knowledge and experience not how many masters you have or prestige (whatever that means).

however, the question was which program is better
Original post by Euni
Got it. My previous masters are specialized, since I had a previous job that required them. Not collecting them at all! But I since they are Mexican (I’m Mexican) degrees, I feel like I would have more chance If I have a UK degree
Thanks in advance

That makes a bit more sense! You still need to pick the course that’s most interesting to you now and relevant to what you want to do a phd in.
Reply 4
I would like to study the PhD in policy, so it seems to me that the option would be the MA in social policy (York) right?

That makes a bit more sense! You still need to pick the course that’s most interesting to you now and relevant to what you want to do a phd in.
Original post by Euni

Wait are you limited to online/distance learning courses if so Hi! :hello: I had these exact choices.... I ended up with PPM at York :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Euni
I would like to study the PhD in policy, so it seems to me that the option would be the MA in social policy (York) right?

I’d spend a bit more time looking at the actual course content and see how it aligns with your research and academic interests. Course names aren’t necessarily indicative of what the course will cover.
I’d spend a bit more time looking at the actual course content and see how it aligns with your research and academic interests. Course names aren’t necessarily indicative of what the course will cover.

Also from my own research all of these courses are very different in content and should be chosen based on personal interests.
Many of the courses listed are not ideal for going onto research. Better off with a MRes for sure if doing it for PhD purposes.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Themysticalegg
Also from my own research all of these courses are very different in content and should be chosen based on personal interests.
Many of the courses listed are not ideal for going onto research. Better off with a MRes for sure if doing it for PhD purposes.

I think this is aimed at the OP rather than me.

Also an MRes helps but isn’t necessary for doing a phd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending