The Student Room Group

Another perspective

Hi all,

just submitted a stinking assignment, i'm hoping it will pass but im preparing to resubmit.

With this in mind my attention turned to my overall grade :frown:
So, i dug out the university postgrad handbook and found the following excerpt;

A student’s final degree classification is determined by either the weighted arithmetic mean of the contributing grade points or by the majority grade, whichever results in the higher outcome.

Final classification of the award is determined by the better of either:

a. the weighted arithmetic mean of all modules that contribute to the final award or

b. the majority grade of all contributing modules, where the majority grade is calculated on the basis of more than half of the credits which contribute to the award achieving a particular classification or higher.

The second method, (b), interests me, as i assumed (a) was pretty standard.

So, does this mean that, of the 180 credits making up the MSc, i need 90.5 marked at a distinction to achieve that classification as a final result, regardless of the other 89.5?
(edited 5 years ago)
Essentially yes but also bear in mind that you will get whichever is the better grade after applying both methods.
Original post by dantheram
Hi all,

just submitted a stinking assignment, i'm hoping it will pass but im preparing to resubmit.

With this in mind my attention turned to my overall grade :frown:
So, i dug out the university postgrad handbook and found the following excerpt;

A student’s final degree classification is determined by either the weighted arithmetic mean of the contributing grade points or by the majority grade, whichever results in the higher outcome.

Final classification of the award is determined by the better of either:

a. the weighted arithmetic mean of all modules that contribute to the final award or

b. the majority grade of all contributing modules, where the majority grade is calculated on the basis of more than half of the credits which contribute to the award achieving a particular classification or higher.

The second method, (b), interests me, as i assumed (a) was pretty standard.

So, does this mean that, of the 180 credits making up the MSc, i need 90.5 marked at a distinction to achieve that classification as a final result, regardless of the other 89.5?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Essentially yes but also bear in mind that you will get whichever is the better grade after applying both methods.

i'm aiming at the 90.5 :smile: - i'm on 76 so far with 80 left to play for . . . . .
Great good luck!
Original post by dantheram
i'm aiming at the 90.5 :smile: - i'm on 76 so far with 80 left to play for . . . . .
Reply 4
Nice to look back at this - I nailed every piece of work at >90, achieving a distinction.

How we panic so

Thanks all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending