The Student Room Group

Languages revision - Spanish

Scroll to see replies

Don't worry. Everybody in my class finds French easy and I'm like- WHAT?????
Me in my French class: 🤤🤤🤤
Me when my teacher asks: Qu'est-ce qu'il y a sur la photo? (What's in the photo?) - 😲😲😲🤤🤤🤤😓😓😓😨☠ Bonjour?
Original post by LWebb337
ahhh I don't get how you don't find it hard. It's not fair lol
Reply 21
Yeah sometimes I regret the subjects I chose (history, Spanish and drama) on top of triple higher science's and higher maths because there is a lot to do in all of the and even drama turned out to be way more complicated than I thought with tons of written work similar to English ( I don't hate it there is just a lot). But then I do want to learn Spanish and do a language so... and I really enjoy history and drama so...
Original post by holly_puntonx
Neither haha! I used to stress over it but now I don't at all. Wish I hadn't taken it sometimes though.
You literally need half the marks in the paper for like a grade 6/7 or something. It is easy to pick up marks and get the grades. Your speaking will pull your grade up too. In my mocks I got a 7 in Listening, 7 in writing and 6 in reading. Then an 8 in Speaking (52/60)
Yeah, I'm not even rubbish at it but hate sitting exams and am one of the lowest in my class at the moment, I somehow have amazing people in my class ( a lot of them, getting 8s and 9s all the time) I recently did a listening which I found so hard but luckily the grades were easy to get so I got a 6. however I think I got half the marks and whilst taking the exam I felt sick because I had no clue what was going on at all.
Reply 23
HAhaa yeah I used to do french and hated it so so so much so was so glad when I dropped it this year!
Original post by Stardom33
Don't worry. Everybody in my class finds French easy and I'm like- WHAT?????
Me in my French class: 🤤🤤🤤
Me when my teacher asks: Qu'est-ce qu'il y a sur la photo? (What's in the photo?) - 😲😲😲🤤🤤🤤😓😓😓😨☠ Bonjour?
As long as you enjoy what you do, it will be fine. I regret picking Ethics most days because it can get so hard to remember all the content. But all my other subjects I love apart form English Literature and Maths.

Yeah sometimes I regret the subjects I chose (history, Spanish and drama) on top of triple higher science's and higher maths because there is a lot to do in all of the and even drama turned out to be way more complicated than I thought with tons of written work similar to English ( I don't hate it there is just a lot). But then I do want to learn Spanish and do a language so... and I really enjoy history and drama so...
Reply 25
You don't after a while, it gets easier. Once you have done your mocks, you will understand. Its honestly nothing to worry about.

Thanks!
Lucky!!! I would give THOUSANDS to drop it.
I think I failed my writing exam but I have to wait until the holidays are over to know 😣
Literally, I didn't understand the question and I used the Spanish board without realising it was Spanish to form my answers... 🤤 Here come a grade 1!!!

HAhaa yeah I used to do french and hated it so so so much so was so glad when I dropped it this year!
Reply 27
Thanks, this really makes me feel better, I think most of it is just the idea of it and I get so stressed and panicked and hate taking exams. But thanks
You literally need half the marks in the paper for like a grade 6/7 or something. It is easy to pick up marks and get the grades. Your speaking will pull your grade up too. In my mocks I got a 7 in Listening, 7 in writing and 6 in reading. Then an 8 in Speaking (52/60)
Reply 28
I do a-level Spanish and got an A* in the GCSE, albeit it was the year before the GCSE's properly changed, however revision techniques are all the same. During my GCSE I didn't revise much at all, only for the speakings and writings that I had to do, but coming to a-level I obviously have to revise A LOT, so if you're the sort of person that is struggling and needs to revise it too, then I'll suggest quizlet 100%.

Just put your vocab on there, in English and then your MFL. Obviously categorise them and just use the learning feature on there, and then writing it out too really helps. You can also quizlet certain subjunctives, grammar phrases, sentence structures and tenses, and it will really help. Posters around your room and flashcards may help too.

Good luck!
Reply 29
English lit is probably my strongest subject see its crazy haha. Some people can hate one thing and another person love it :smile: What board are you doing for English lit?
As long as you enjoy what you do, it will be fine. I regret picking Ethics most days because it can get so hard to remember all the content. But all my other subjects I love apart form English Literature and Maths.
Reply 30
No thanks so much I will try these all, some I have heard of and used but will continue to use and yes I think they're similar in the way you revise them!
Original post by Stardom33
Hello,
I do French, but I suppose MFL subjects link together in a way?
I would suggest investing in a CGP guide, they include a massive section on grammar, which really helps 😁. I don't know if it's the same in Spanish, but I do AQA and we only have to recognise the subjunctive because it's more for A Levels (unless i have been mislead 😣).

As mentioned, use Seneca, but do not rely on it too much. Duolingo is great for both vocab. and grammar and Memrise is good for vocab. Use Lyrics Training to get used to vocab through songs. If you are really struggling, look on YouTube because there are SO MANY useful videos! 😊

Finally, you might not like this, but write on a table. Literally, buy some felt tips/ markers that rub off and ask a friend/ parent to test you on a tense or a topic. Write down everything you can think of that is relatable (endings etc.) , and afterwards look to see if you got it right. If you haven't, write it on a post-it note and stick it on a wall so that you are constantly looking at it. After you have done, clean the table (obvs. 😂) and start memorising!

Oh, use mindmaps or revision clocks (google if unsure) and on the back, draw pictures/ phrases that help you remember the endings. Create flashcards and use Quizlet for tenses/ irregular verbs. Most importantly though, you have to learn to love the language and have fun with it, because then you'll want to learn it. Listen to music and immerse yourself in it or use social media with it to enjoy yourself.

Eventually, do practice papers to see if you've improved!
Hope this helps and sorry if it doesn't. 😥 Sorry it's soooo long!😯
English lit is probably my strongest subject see its crazy haha. Some people can hate one thing and another person love it :smile: What board are you doing for English lit?

i would defo appreciate some help with English lit XD
We do AQA, I hate Literature. I prefer Language. We sat ours a year early and I passed on a 6 but I chose to resit because I got a 9 in my mocks haha.
No thanks so much I will try these all, some I have heard of and used but will continue to use and yes I think they're similar in the way you revise them!

what is your weakest part? listening, speaking, writing or reading?
Reply 34
Thanks, yeah ooh a levels! I have thought about maybe taking Spanish because I want to speak fluently if possible, but depending on how I find the rest of GCSE. How do you find it?
Original post by clf09
I do a-level Spanish and got an A* in the GCSE, albeit it was the year before the GCSE's properly changed, however revision techniques are all the same. During my GCSE I didn't revise much at all, only for the speakings and writings that I had to do, but coming to a-level I obviously have to revise A LOT, so if you're the sort of person that is struggling and needs to revise it too, then I'll suggest quizlet 100%.

Just put your vocab on there, in English and then your MFL. Obviously categorise them and just use the learning feature on there, and then writing it out too really helps. You can also quizlet certain subjunctives, grammar phrases, sentence structures and tenses, and it will really help. Posters around your room and flashcards may help too.

Good luck!
Reply 35
Thanks, yeah ooh a levels! I have thought about maybe taking Spanish because I want to speak fluently if possible, but depending on how I find the rest of GCSE. How do you find it?

It's definitely the hardest one. I take Spanish, History, and English Literature. I would recommend it if you want to speak fluently because I could move to Spain now and settle in just fine, but the a-level itself can be gruelling and is a lot of hard work. If you're already learning subjunctive phrases now and your grammar then it will be easier for you, it's just learning what the examiners are looking for and performing to that. But it is completely worth it in the end, I love speaking another language.
Reply 36
Thats crazy I was thinking of taking those exact three hah. Yeah that's why I want to maybe take it. How do you find the other two?
Original post by clf09
It's definitely the hardest one. I take Spanish, History, and English Literature. I would recommend it if you want to speak fluently because I could move to Spain now and settle in just fine, but the a-level itself can be gruelling and is a lot of hard work. If you're already learning subjunctive phrases now and your grammar then it will be easier for you, it's just learning what the examiners are looking for and performing to that. But it is completely worth it in the end, I love speaking another language.
Reply 37
Oh no way! I find Lit the easiest, it’s all open to interpretation and you don’t even have to remember loads of quotes, I choose to but there aren’t many A* essays that only have about 3 quotes in the whole thing. There’s a lot of choice too so that’s good.

I want to be a history teacher so obviously I really like history, but there is SO much content it’s quite overwhelming. It can be a bit boring sometimes but at the same time there’s always interesting topics too, I’d say it’s just very different to gcse, however I really like it. There’s just a lot to learn.

Thats crazy I was thinking of taking those exact three hah. Yeah that's why I want to maybe take it. How do you find the other two?
Try immersion - read Spanish book, watch movies, read the news in Spanish etc. Some people even find Skype friends. For learning tense endings, I don't recommend flashcards. I just stare for a while when learning French. Memrise is good. Next time you're bored, just repeat the endings for -er, -ar, and -ir verbs in all tenses (without looking). If there's any you can't remember, stick them in a website. Don't go overboard - once I spoke/listened to Spanish for so long I almost forgot how to speak to my English mother.
Reply 39
Thank you I will keep these in mind, yes I really enjoy history and English literature is my top subject and I enjoy it too
Original post by clf09
Oh no way! I find Lit the easiest, it’s all open to interpretation and you don’t even have to remember loads of quotes, I choose to but there aren’t many A* essays that only have about 3 quotes in the whole thing. There’s a lot of choice too so that’s good.

I want to be a history teacher so obviously I really like history, but there is SO much content it’s quite overwhelming. It can be a bit boring sometimes but at the same time there’s always interesting topics too, I’d say it’s just very different to gcse, however I really like it. There’s just a lot to learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending