The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Job opportunities

I will be enrolling to university September 2019 for my first year, most likely at the Uni of Kent and I wanted to know if it is possible to do part time placements or work when not attending lectures within Canterbury.
Original post by Mtenderrrrre
I will be enrolling to university September 2019 for my first year, most likely at the Uni of Kent and I wanted to know if it is possible to do part time placements or work when not attending lectures within Canterbury.

If your placements or job doesn't conflict with your classes or affect your studying, then it is possible.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by Mtenderrrrre

Hi there!
I'm currently in my third year at Kent and I've had several part time jobs during my second and third years here. In my second year I worked part-time in a shoe shop in town and in my third year I've had a range of jobs from giving campus tours twice a week, to going into schools to help with history workshops as a History Ambassador, and as a social media student rep. There's loads of shops, cafes and restaurants hiring students in Canterbury town center, especially over the Christmas periods. The university also employs students in lots of different roles such as in the shops on campus, library cafe, or for help on open days and applicant days (where you often get a free lunch too!).
Most of the jobs are advertised either via e-mail sign ups, which you'll have the chance to subscribe to once you enroll at the University, or via JobShop. JobShop have an outlet on campus so you can go in and talk to one of the people there about internships, part time work, seasonal work or graduate jobs. Here is the link to their website; https://kentunion.co.uk/jobshop/

In terms of internships and graduate jobs (and some part time work too) the Careers centre on campus are super helpful! They have a service where they can check over your CV for you or any job applications before you send them. They also advertise potential internships, graduate jobs and give career advice too.

I've found having a job alongside my classes/lectures relatively easy, as long as you are organised and keep your degree your priority (that's why you're at uni after all) then you'll find it no problem to manage.
I hope that this all helps! Let me know if you have any other questions about life at Kent, I'm more than happy to help :smile:
Hey,

I am also a final year student at Kent and thought I would also give you my personal experience of working part-time alongside studying. I have been fortunate enough to have undertaken a number of jobs with the University itself where I was Student Ambassador for Kent Business School, an Academic Peer Mentor and a Social Media Rep. I also took part in the the Work-study scheme which offers you temporary and short-term roles including being an Open Day Helper, Graduation Ceremony assistant, Employment fair assistant, etc, so there are definitely a lot of internal opportunities as well as external as Annabel has mentioned.

In response to your question - yes it is possible! Just make sure you give yourself enough time to balance studying with work and that it doesn't clash with your lectures or seminars. Although, you can always change your seminar classes around if need be. I have a friend who owns his own business and has managed to fit his lectures and seminars all into two days of the week so he has the rest of the time to dedicate to his business/studies. That was just pure luck though and it will differ depending on your course and how they schedule the lectures. :smile:

Hope this helps
All the best

(Original post by Mtenderrrrre)
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!
I'm currently in my third year at Kent and I've had several part time jobs during my second and third years here. In my second year I worked part-time in a shoe shop in town and in my third year I've had a range of jobs from giving campus tours twice a week, to going into schools to help with history workshops as a History Ambassador, and as a social media student rep. There's loads of shops, cafes and restaurants hiring students in Canterbury town center, especially over the Christmas periods. The university also employs students in lots of different roles such as in the shops on campus, library cafe, or for help on open days and applicant days (where you often get a free lunch too!).
Most of the jobs are advertised either via e-mail sign ups, which you'll have the chance to subscribe to once you enroll at the University, or via JobShop. JobShop have an outlet on campus so you can go in and talk to one of the people there about internships, part time work, seasonal work or graduate jobs. Here is the link to their website; https://kentunion.co.uk/jobshop/

In terms of internships and graduate jobs (and some part time work too) the Careers centre on campus are super helpful! They have a service where they can check over your CV for you or any job applications before you send them. They also advertise potential internships, graduate jobs and give career advice too.

I've found having a job alongside my classes/lectures relatively easy, as long as you are organised and keep your degree your priority (that's why you're at uni after all) then you'll find it no problem to manage.
I hope that this all helps! Let me know if you have any other questions about life at Kent, I'm more than happy to help :smile:

Thank you very much again, all this insight is really beneficial my future plans to attend Kent.
Thank you. I will definitely look into planning and managing my time wisely so I can still stay on track with my academics.
Original post by Student Rep Phil
Hey,

I am also a final year student at Kent and thought I would also give you my personal experience of working part-time alongside studying. I have been fortunate enough to have undertaken a number of jobs with the University itself where I was Student Ambassador for Kent Business School, an Academic Peer Mentor and a Social Media Rep. I also took part in the the Work-study scheme which offers you temporary and short-term roles including being an Open Day Helper, Graduation Ceremony assistant, Employment fair assistant, etc, so there are definitely a lot of internal opportunities as well as external as Annabel has mentioned.

In response to your question - yes it is possible! Just make sure you give yourself enough time to balance studying with work and that it doesn't clash with your lectures or seminars. Although, you can always change your seminar classes around if need be. I have a friend who owns his own business and has managed to fit his lectures and seminars all into two days of the week so he has the rest of the time to dedicate to his business/studies. That was just pure luck though and it will differ depending on your course and how they schedule the lectures. :smile:

Hope this helps
All the best

(Original post by Mtenderrrrre)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending