The Student Room Group

University of Liverpool vs University of the Arts London

Hi! So I applied for an (BA) Architecture course and I don't know which university I should choose as my firm and insurance choice. I have 2 options: University of Liverpool and University of the Arts London. As I am from Europe I know almost nothing about these uni's so it's very hard for me to decide. London is a perfect option as I love big, loud cities, but I am not sure if this university is going to satisfy me. There is almost nothing on the internet about this specific course at this uni (like yt vlogs made by its students) so it feels like buying a pig in the poke. Liverpool seems like a really nice place but I am scared that I am going to find it a little boring. It's also a lot cheaper than London and the uni seems to offer more interesting classes.
Which one should I choose? Any advice will be helpful
Original post by ducatoo
Hi! So I applied for an (BA) Architecture course and I don't know which university I should choose as my firm and insurance choice. I have 2 options: University of Liverpool and University of the Arts London. As I am from Europe I know almost nothing about these uni's so it's very hard for me to decide. London is a perfect option as I love big, loud cities, but I am not sure if this university is going to satisfy me. There is almost nothing on the internet about this specific course at this uni (like yt vlogs made by its students) so it feels like buying a pig in the poke. Liverpool seems like a really nice place but I am scared that I am going to find it a little boring. It's also a lot cheaper than London and the uni seems to offer more interesting classes.
Which one should I choose? Any advice will be helpful

Hey,

I’d say firstly you should decide whether you want to study architecture at a traditional university like Liverpool, or an ‘arty’ university like UAL. I say this because the courses and approach towards critical theory and ideas will differ quite a lot and depends on what you’re interested in. I do think both will provide a good foundation for learning architecture, but in my opinion, studying it at an art school brings a more creative and fun element to it - which I would prefer. 

Secondly, you need to decide whether you’d like to spend three years (or more) in Liverpool or London. Liverpool is a big party town and that’s all I know about it. I did my undergraduate in London which definitely influenced my modules. London is also great if you are looking for summer work/internships related to architecture. I did my undergraduate degree in London and yes it can be difficult but I think at a smaller university like UAL you’ll be better off with an established community of creatives. 

I took a short architecture course at UAL last year so perhaps I’m a little bias but I loved it. I’m not sure which college you’re at but Central Saint Martins is an incredible place study, I found the building so light and spacious which didn’t feel like London at all. There were lots of first year architecture student exhibitions going on when I was there which were so interesting. I spoke with some of the lecturers when I was there who suggested that if I wanted to continue with Architecture that I should do it at an art school, and my time there really reflected their reasoning well. UAL is quite small but I feel that being in London you’ll see the benefits of the small community it has.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending