The Student Room Group

RAF Air Power

Am I right in my understanding that air power (in my own words) is

"The RAF's ability to achieve air supremacy through height speed and reach tactics using both air and space platforms to help the RAF or it's coalition partners to achieve their objectives".

Three Key Characteristics:
Height - use of drones and GPS Satellite. less vunerable than its land and sea counterparts. strong safety component. Allows the RAF o display dominance.

Speed - speed in which aircrafts can respond implies intent and presence. QRA allows a for a fast reaction to threats to UK airspace. QRA based at Lossiemouth and Coningsby.

Reach - Unrivalled by land and maritime. has a greater global influence. In Op Allied Force, RAF Tornados operated out of their home base in Germany and attacked targets in Kosovo.

limitations to airpower: high costs, maintenance and weather plays a role in take off and landings

advantages of airpower: global reach and less vunerable

The 4 underlining Pillars to Air Power are
Air Mobility, Defence, Intelligence and Attack
Reply 1
The point of the interview is to test your suitability for the RAF, and some of that is checking that you can put the work in to prepare and you understand the organisation for which you are applying.

If you think this is Air Power, then say this to the interviewer. It defeats the object if you put together an answer from other people's responses on here, and this is why some of us get cross with posters coming on here and asking for the obvious.

That said, good luck!
Original post by sophbirm1808
Am I right in my understanding that air power (in my own words) is

"The RAF's ability to achieve air supremacy through height speed and reach tactics using both air and space platforms to help the RAF or it's coalition partners to achieve their objectives".

Three Key Characteristics:
Height - use of drones and GPS Satellite. less vunerable than its land and sea counterparts. strong safety component. Allows the RAF o display dominance.

Speed - speed in which aircrafts can respond implies intent and presence. QRA allows a for a fast reaction to threats to UK airspace. QRA based at Lossiemouth and Coningsby.

Reach - Unrivalled by land and maritime. has a greater global influence. In Op Allied Force, RAF Tornados operated out of their home base in Germany and attacked targets in Kosovo.

limitations to airpower: high costs, maintenance and weather plays a role in take off and landings

advantages of airpower: global reach and less vunerable

The 4 underlining Pillars to Air Power are
Air Mobility, Defence, Intelligence and Attack

You are also thinking a bit too specifically. Think more generally what advantages height, speed and reach give.

Al aircraft give the advantage of height over land and sea activities.

Whatever, aircraft are faster than sea or land movement.

Reach means you can operate from a safer area, away from the area of operations.

Quick Reply

Latest