The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thewaterbottle12
If a question is worth 4 marks and doesn’t specify how many reasons to give but I write 6 points, can I still get full marks or are only 4 of the points marked?

This doesn't make sense. Please rewrite it. Thanks :smile:
If you don't have time to finish an essay could you still get marked on your plan
What happens when a paper is re-marked, does a more high level examiner mark that paper or just another random examiner

If the marks go up Is the original examiner penalised in anyway

Does every remark paper that changed scores from an examiner added up and if you have higher than a certain limit of remark requests that change scores is there any repercussions and does anything happen to the rest of the papers that you marked

What about the examiner that marked it differently are they reviewed to see who is correct
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by blackvoid17
If you don't have time to finish an essay could you still get marked on your plan

Yes, definitely - and I'd always encourage you to do a plan for that reason. If you have mistimed your exam and know you can't finish an essay, sometimes a fleshed-out plan is in some ways better than a fraction of an unfinished essay.
if the question asks for 4 points and you write 10 and 6 are incorrect but 4 are correct, do you still get full marks?
how are re-marks processed and how often do grades actually change?
Reply 586
How are papers actually marked? Are they scanned in, or do you mark the physical papers?
Original post by tjto
How are papers actually marked? Are they scanned in, or do you mark the physical papers?

Depends on the exam and board. GCSE science is marked as scanned 'clips' which are anonymised answers from the entire cohort. Some papers are still marked by hand, though.
Hey this is really cool! Here are my questions ...
1. For essay based subjects I would like to use a papermate ink joy gel pen, which is comfortable to write for 2hrs+ with. The head of exams at my school says it is fine to use, since apparently the papers are not scanned anymore, but a digital photo is taken of them. But when I got into my first essay exam, it said on the front - do not use gel pen! So I used biro for this exam and the rest - resulting in a very achy hand! So, can i write with gel pens or not?

2. I respect you might not be able to answer this one, but how often do you get papers which you mark at 95% or over. It must be inpressive. Or do you mark just induvidual answers?
Original post by bella.ii
how are re-marks processed and how often do grades actually change?

The paper is checked by a dedicated Reviewer and if a Marking Error is discovered the new mark will be calculated. Grades do change as a result of this process.
Do you know of anybody who got full raw marks in unit 4 or 5 in the A2 papers ?

Do you sometimes disagree with mark schemes ? For example, A few members on TSR who are teachers or doctors, basically professionals told me that lactic acid isn't produced in anaerobic respiration ( that there was lactate and an acid but it's never lactic acid) but the mark schemes include the production of lactic acid in questions such as why anaerobic respiration can't be sustained .
What do you suggest I do in these cases, stick to the MS or stick to what's right ?
are the examiners the same people that write the exam questions ? If not do you have experience in writing exam questions ?
Original post by birdnerd
Hey this is really cool! Here are my questions ...
1. For essay based subjects I would like to use a papermate ink joy gel pen, which is comfortable to write for 2hrs+ with. The head of exams at my school says it is fine to use, since apparently the papers are not scanned anymore, but a digital photo is taken of them. But when I got into my first essay exam, it said on the front - do not use gel pen! So I used biro for this exam and the rest - resulting in a very achy hand! So, can i write with gel pens or not?

2. I respect you might not be able to answer this one, but how often do you get papers which you mark at 95% or over. It must be inpressive. Or do you mark just induvidual answers?

Thank you :smile:

1. Pen choices seem to greatly exercise candidates. Biros are recommended because they are permanent, a good readable black and a consistent choice. However, I have never, I repeat NEVER, seen an issue with a 'type' of pen used that wasn't a biro - and I see scripts written in all sorts of things! The official advice is 'black biro'...however, if you know that this is going to be a really difficult pen for you to use, and you'll end up thinking more about your achy hand than your stellar answer, then I would always advise you to use a pen that works for you. The issue with gel pens is that some of them have thermochromic ink, which can get erased by a combination of heat and pressure. You don't really want an exam script which is blank! A permanent liquid ink pen,like a uniball eye, is fine (though this isn't 'official' advice).

2. GCSE is marked as individual clips (at least in science), but I do mark whole papers for other qualifications and in different settings. It is uncommon, but certainly not unheard of.
how quickly do you mark one biology (i)GCSE paper? how many do you mark each year?
Original post by JanaALEVEL
Do you know of anybody who got full raw marks in unit 4 or 5 in the A2 papers ?

Do you sometimes disagree with mark schemes ? For example, A few members on TSR who are teachers or doctors, basically professionals told me that lactic acid isn't produced in anaerobic respiration ( that there was lactate and an acid but it's never lactic acid) but the mark schemes include the production of lactic acid in questions such as why anaerobic respiration can't be sustained .
What do you suggest I do in these cases, stick to the MS or stick to what's right ?

I strongly recommend you stick to the mark scheme. The problem is that science often has to 'simplify' things at different stages. The difference between the lactate ion and calling it 'lactic acid' isn't really an important difference at this level: the question is looking to see you know that in anaerobic conditions, pyruvate cannot be oxidatively decarboxylated to Acetyl Co-A and enter the TCA so is instead reduced to lactate, producing NAD+ in the process which allows glycolysis to continue.

However, there is no point in putting the 'wrong' answer of lactate down when you're actually being asked for 'lactic acid'. Additionally, the MS (or our gloss on it) may well indicated that 'lactate' is an acceptable alternative answer.

Original post by JanaALEVEL
are the examiners the same people that write the exam questions ? If not do you have experience in writing exam questions ?

No, Setters/Principal Examiners set questions, assisted by item writers, revisers, vettors, etc. I am an item writer as well as an examiner.
Original post by rke7241
how quickly do you mark one biology (i)GCSE paper? how many do you mark each year?

I don't time it.

It depends on the type of paper. Roughly, an allocation is 100-250 odd scripts
Original post by Reality Check
As an examiner of many years' experience for a major awarding body, I'm doing an AMA for you to put your questions regarding the setting, administration and marking of your upcoming examinations. I principally mark Biology, but have also marked Chemistry. I'm happy to answer questions about these sciences in particular, or more general non-specific subject questions. Candidates often have misconceptions surrounding the marking and moderation of their papers, and maybe I can dispel a couple of them via this thread. For instance - if you write outside the box, it will be marked!

I will not comment on the adequacy or otherwise of individual answers to particular examination questions, so please don't post questions which ask this.

Ask away.

NB: the views and advice I give here are based on my own personal experience and observation. They are not the views of a particular awarding body, nor are they officially endorsed by one. Should you have specific, substantive queries about your individual examination entry, you must contact your school/college tutor or Examinations Officer about it.

What happens if a paper can't be scanned because of the barcode? I turned the first paper and i am not trolling. I killed this fly by accident and it went over the bar code. Because of the stupid fire alarm that went off and a fly just fell from my hair.
What if your handwriting is not legible will an examiner give it to another examiner. Or will their be no marks being awarded.
Original post by Pro Gamer 2003
What if your handwriting is not legible will an examiner give it to another examiner. Or will their be no marks being awarded.

Which of those two sounds more realistic?
Original post by Discrepancy
What happens if a paper can't be scanned because of the barcode? I turned the first paper and i am not trolling. I killed this fly by accident and it went over the bar code. Because of the stupid fire alarm that went off and a fly just fell from my hair.

:smile: It should be absolutely fine - I've never heard of a problem with this sort of thing.

Latest