The Student Room Group

Is that important live on dorms the first year?

Well, I’m planning to study in Edinburgh Napier University as an international student. I will applicate the last deadline before 30 of June. I know It will be quite late to apply for dorms by the 11 of July if I get accepted or the admissions are still open. Probably I will be on waiting list.

I know I applied to late and it’s my fault but I hadn’t thought of the accomodation topic because where I live the 95% of people lives off campus so people make new friends through classes instead of dorms. Now I’m thinking about that and is something that worries me so much.

For different reasons I’ve had friends outside but I’ve been isolated during highschool. I was always alone. I suffered a lot and I know this may sound harsh but I would prefer not to go to Edinburgh and stay in my country than being alone again. ( Going to Edinburgh is something I wish so so so much)

I’ve read a lot about the freshman year and living on the dorms and how important is to make friends. Above all for the freshman week that there’s when everyone meet each other.
Then I thought about searching in websites like spareroom to find freshmans who go to the same university that me so I can go with them to the fresh week. But that looks quite improbable because almost everyone would be living in dorms.

I really don’t know what to do. I just don’t want to be alone. It’s horrible .
I felt isolated alot during uni despite living in the most popular accommodation. I put in the effort but in the end I just couldn't fit in.

If you don't get halls don't worry about it, because societies are an excellent way of making friends and having fun. You will also strengthen your friendships in 2nd/3rd year through houseshares.

I think best thing about halls is being close to lectures/facilities
I'd say it's all to do with your mindset. If you are determined to make friends and get out of your comfort zone, you will thrive in dorms. You will meet the most interesting, fun people ever.

If you have a personality which has a tendency to step back and become isolated then don't make the move. You'll most likely find yourself in a rut of being alone whilst being surrounded by loads of people. Weird concept I know but I've been there.

Basically you have to make the most of whatever you choose. Life won't happen for you, you have to make it happen.

(Original post by Someonered)
Well, I’m planning to study in Edinburgh Napier University as an international student. I will applicate the last deadline before 30 of June. I know It will be quite late to apply for dorms by the 11 of July if I get accepted or the admissions are still open. Probably I will be on waiting list.

I know I applied to late and it’s my fault but I hadn’t thought of the accomodation topic because where I live the 95% of people lives off campus so people make new friends through classes instead of dorms. Now I’m thinking about that and is something that worries me so much.

For different reasons I’ve had friends outside but I’ve been isolated during highschool. I was always alone. I suffered a lot and I know this may sound harsh but I would prefer not to go to Edinburgh and stay in my country than being alone again. ( Going to Edinburgh is something I wish so so so much)

I’ve read a lot about the freshman year and living on the dorms and how important is to make friends. Above all for the freshman week that there’s when everyone meet each other.
Then I thought about searching in websites like spareroom to find freshmans who go to the same university that me so I can go with them to the fresh week. But that looks quite improbable because almost everyone would be living in dorms.

I really don’t know what to do. I just don’t want to be alone. It’s horrible .
Reply 3
I am really aware about that. My dark years were between 14-16 years old. I was and I am an outgoing person if just the peole from that highschool was wicked and the ambient toxic. ( Everyone who had gone there could tell you this but well that’s not the matter now)

I changed schools and I made friends after that. It’s normal the accomodation issue worries me. I’ve reas a lot on student room about this and almost look like if you don’t go to dorms during the freshman years you’re ****ed up
Original post by earlybird88
I'd say it's all to do with your mindset. If you are determined to make friends and get out of your comfort zone, you will thrive in dorms. You will meet the most interesting, fun people ever.

If you have a personality which has a tendency to step back and become isolated then don't make the move. You'll most likely find yourself in a rut of being alone whilst being surrounded by loads of people. Weird concept I know but I've been there.

Basically you have to make the most of whatever you choose. Life won't happen for you, you have to make it happen.

(Original post by Someonered)
Reply 4
Okay thank you so much❤️
Original post by SuperHuman98
I felt isolated alot during uni despite living in the most popular accommodation. I put in the effort but in the end I just couldn't fit in.

If you don't get halls don't worry about it, because societies are an excellent way of making friends and having fun. You will also strengthen your friendships in 2nd/3rd year through houseshares.

I think best thing about halls is being close to lectures/facilities
That's a real immature view though. Some people stay at home and save etc. There's pros and cons for both. Do what you want, not what you think others want.
Original post by Someonered
I am really aware about that. My dark years were between 14-16 years old. I was and I am an outgoing person if just the peole from that highschool was wicked and the ambient toxic. ( Everyone who had gone there could tell you this but well that’s not the matter now)

I changed schools and I made friends after that. It’s normal the accomodation issue worries me. I’ve reas a lot on student room about this and almost look like if you don’t go to dorms during the freshman years you’re ****ed up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending