The Student Room Group

Are languages REALLY that tough?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Is it marked severely? I've heard some sites online say that languages are tough because of severe marking.
Original post by sqrt of 5
i do 3 languages at gcse: french, spanish and italian. i absolutely love learning new languages but all you need to do at gcse level is to learn vocab and phrases and of course work on your pronunciation
Hey,
I do French as a GCSE and I have to admit, I am thinking about A levels...
The thing is that languages are really, REALLY weird. You have to have an absolute passion to get a good grade in it, you have to be dedicated and work hard, but I think that if you love it and perhaps want to persue it later on in life, then take it.

Do not be put off by what people say. It may be difficult at first, but your work ethic normally kicks in and lets you fly through in languages. True- there is grammar, vocab, exams etc to get through, and apparently Geography is easier, but it genuinely depends if you are prepared to put 100% into your exams.

Good luck.
Original post by dizzdizzie
So would I be better off just doing it as a course outside of school, maybe after uni or something? I'm aiming to do a job in either medicine or teaching sciences- I don't think that, although I love languages, they'd be much use.

It's possible to take language lessons at uni on top of your course, or, a course you want to study that is taught partially or fully in that language. (Example: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/chemistry-department/chemistry-spanish-msci/)
There may even be native Spanish speakers at your future course at uni that you can make friends with and help each other become more fluent in their second languages :smile:
Reply 23
Thank you! I definitely do love languages, and have always scored well in them, but I don't think I'll really carry it beyond GCSE, for my aspired career I have all the required GCSEs - I'm left with one to pick so what I think I may do is do geography (since it may be more applicable to a medical kind of career) and do Spanish later on after exams as a hobby/course. But then again, it would be a good gcse to have.
Original post by Stardom33
Hey,
I do French as a GCSE and I have to admit, I am thinking about A levels...
The thing is that languages are really, REALLY weird. You have to have an absolute passion to get a good grade in it, you have to be dedicated and work hard, but I think that if you love it and perhaps want to persue it later on in life, then take it.

Do not be put off by what people say. It may be difficult at first, but your work ethic normally kicks in and lets you fly through in languages. True- there is grammar, vocab, exams etc to get through, and apparently Geography is easier, but it genuinely depends if you are prepared to put 100% into your exams.

Good luck.
Reply 24
Thank you for the link!! I'll definitely consider that. I just don't know if I'd cope with the pressure of a language at GCSE so I'll most likely opt for that. I can put that on a CV, right?
Original post by hello_shawn
It's possible to take language lessons at uni on top of your course, or, a course you want to study that is taught partially or fully in that language. (Example: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/chemistry-department/chemistry-spanish-msci/)
There may even be native Spanish speakers at your future course at uni that you can make friends with and help each other become more fluent in their second languages :smile:
Reply 25
How much time are you willing to put into the subject? I did French at GCSE and aside from science and maths (which I naturally lean towards), I would say it was one of my easiest GCSEs. HOWEVER, I put that entirely down to the fact I put the most effort into this subject above all others. From year 9-10, I was getting Cs and Ds. After spending a lot of time on the memrise GCSE courses and outside learning etc. I came out with A*s.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that, yes, it is a difficult subject if you don't want to work for it, but it's a subject that is very easy to revise and boost your grades for in my opinion.

As a side note, I'd definitely recommend taking a language since it's a pretty valuable skill you can say you have ^^
I suppose that is a good idea.
What are your other options?
Thank you! I definitely do love languages, and have always scored well in them, but I don't think I'll really carry it beyond GCSE, for my aspired career I have all the required GCSEs - I'm left with one to pick so what I think I may do is do geography (since it may be more applicable to a medical kind of career) and do Spanish later on after exams as a hobby/course. But then again, it would be a good gcse to have.
Reply 27
I have one other option, and that is Geography. Two very different subjects..
I suppose that is a good idea.
What are your other options?
As well- employers highly regard people with GCSEs in a language, and Spanish is actually quite useful in medicine. You may get higher pay for it- so do give it some consideration, especially if you are good at it. 😄
Thank you for the link!! I'll definitely consider that. I just don't know if I'd cope with the pressure of a language at GCSE so I'll most likely opt for that. I can put that on a CV, right?

Yep, that is fine :smile: if you ever apply for a job where being able to speak another language is mandatory then the interview will usually test you on that
Have you chosen triple science?
I have one other option, and that is Geography. Two very different subjects..
Hey, I do Spanish, absolutely love it because we learn about the culture and important issues in Spain.
No, languages isn’t hard. The hard bit is having to do work EVERY DAY even though you don’t want. You can’t cram for a language, it’s something long term and that’s what makes it hard because for most people they weren’t expecting to have to do constant work.

The marking is a bit mean, because instead of marking based on fluency like in GCSE, they mark for accuracy. One accent missing can cost a mark. But that’s what makes it’s fun I guess lol

The best thing about languages is that they are invaluable! They look good on any CV or application and you know how much more people I can speak to know because of Spanish? Lots! I can even watch some Spanish shows without subtitles haha.
If you think geography is better for you in the long term, go for it! But languages is really good, so keep it an option. You can always learn it on your own, but it may be harder/slower.

Anyways, bueno suerte 👍
Reply 32
Thank you! I'd definitely be willing to put 100% in to all of my subject, I'll definitely consider doing it- I might do it just as a course outside of school- kinda like a hobby?
Original post by Myrtey
How much time are you willing to put into the subject? I did French at GCSE and aside from science and maths (which I naturally lean towards), I would say it was one of my easiest GCSEs. HOWEVER, I put that entirely down to the fact I put the most effort into this subject above all others. From year 9-10, I was getting Cs and Ds. After spending a lot of time on the memrise GCSE courses and outside learning etc. I came out with A*s.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that, yes, it is a difficult subject if you don't want to work for it, but it's a subject that is very easy to revise and boost your grades for in my opinion.

As a side note, I'd definitely recommend taking a language since it's a pretty valuable skill you can say you have ^^
Reply 33
Yes.. and I am slightly intimidated although I do enjoy sciences.
Have you chosen triple science?
Dw! I do triple science and French, and alhough the content is difficult, they are so worth it.

Buena suerte!
Reply 35
I love Spanish too! However, the difficulty for me would be learning it every day- I fear it may take more time than other subjects, and that would mean less time for my other subjects (history, triple sciences, further maths and the compulsory ones too). History is a MAMMOTH subject too..
I am considering attending classes outside of school with my friends because it would mean less pressure and I'd still get to learn a new, useful language.
Original post by watershower
Hey, I do Spanish, absolutely love it because we learn about the culture and important issues in Spain.
No, languages isn’t hard. The hard bit is having to do work EVERY DAY even though you don’t want. You can’t cram for a language, it’s something long term and that’s what makes it hard because for most people they weren’t expecting to have to do constant work.

The marking is a bit mean, because instead of marking based on fluency like in GCSE, they mark for accuracy. One accent missing can cost a mark. But that’s what makes it’s fun I guess lol

The best thing about languages is that they are invaluable! They look good on any CV or application and you know how much more people I can speak to know because of Spanish? Lots! I can even watch some Spanish shows without subtitles haha.
If you think geography is better for you in the long term, go for it! But languages is really good, so keep it an option. You can always learn it on your own, but it may be harder/slower.

Anyways, bueno suerte 👍
Reply 36

Triple science is definitely good if you enjoy science ^^ If it settles your nerves at all, the further additional content isn't any harder than the core or additional content. It's just that you learn a little extra.
Reply 37
Oh, never realized that..
I might do it on the side at uni or just as a course outside of school (less pressure). Yeah, I'll definitely give it some good consideration since I do enjoy it.
As well- employers highly regard people with GCSEs in a language, and Spanish is actually quite useful in medicine. You may get higher pay for it- so do give it some consideration, especially if you are good at it. 😄
I love languages as well, I took French and Spanish for GCSE and actually finished my French GCSE yesterday (going to miss it ngl). A few people I know who took double language at GCSE did not like it, but personally I loved it and wouldn't have taken anything else. Languages always went well for me all the way from year 7, even though I only started French and Spanish then, and I was probably one of the only people in my class who loved it so much. I grew up bilingual so they do come to me a bit easier, and I'll be honest I didn't put that much work in, I just always tried my hardest in lessons because I think languages aren't something you can just cram the night before the exam, you have to pick them up over a long period of time. So, other than putting in my full effort with lessons and homework, I haven't revised loads for my language exams (apart from speaking, I did quite a bit for that), but I found French fine and I'm hoping for 9s in both.

I'm going to take Spanish for A-level (would've taken French too but I don't actually want a career with languages and I'm already going to take 4) and I dropped geography before GCSE so I'm definitely biased, but I strongly think you should choose Spanish. Don't let these people put you off! If you truly love the language you should have no problem, one language GCSE is compulsory in my school so a lot of people aren't enthusiastic about it but still do well. I think you'll do great at Spanish and enjoy it too!

One extra thing, you might not know what you want to do after GCSEs but carrying on a language afterwards is seen as a really good skill that stands out and will be taken notice of. I want to do computer science at uni so Spanish is technically irrelevant to that, but it's nice to have something different to my maths and computer science options.
Reply 39
Aww thank goodness. I'm perfectly ok with learning a bit extra!
Original post by Myrtey
Triple science is definitely good if you enjoy science ^^ If it settles your nerves at all, the further additional content isn't any harder than the core or additional content. It's just that you learn a little extra.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending