The Student Room Group

Applying for PhD with condoned pass in Statistics at MSc level?

I'm finishing my Masters this summer and failed stats by 1% ;____; My uni does the 'condoned pass' thing, if the result falls between 40-49%, and it's automatic without resits for a certain amount of credits, which are the requirements I meet. This will be on my transcript as a 'condoned pass', though.

Other modules I have completed are ranging between high pass, merit, high distinction - three more modules have unknown results but I'm optimistic. I had a 2:1 in my undergrad (extenuating circumstances), my dissertation was acclaimed at an international competition.

I may have an opportunity to resit stats (capped at 50%, no change if grade obtained is lower than first attempt) but it's not clear if the 'condoned pass' is not an automated procedure for my uni if only one module is failed.
If my next grades & dissertation are high the uni still allows merit/distinction overall classification, even with condoned module.

My question is, how bad is this situation if I want to apply for PhDs in the near future? Does having a condoned pass and particularly in stats ruin my chances? Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Due to health reasons and having to work whilst studying full time I'd rather not do a resit if it does not matter much, and focus on my remaining modules & dissertation, but I will fight for it if it will limit my future opportunities. Please advise?
Original post by Liquid_Moreen
My question is, how bad is this situation if I want to apply for PhDs in the near future? Does having a condoned pass and particularly in stats ruin my chances? Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Due to health reasons and having to work whilst studying full time I'd rather not do a resit if it does not matter much, and focus on my remaining modules & dissertation, but I will fight for it if it will limit my future opportunities. Please advise?

It would depend what area the PhD is in. For most I would think it wouldn't matter much at all in the grander scheme of things. Especially if you get a merit overall.

Most people don't give a toss about whether a MSc is a pass/merit/distinction (overall), the only area where it seems to matter is in areas like Psychology where it's a thing to go on for hours and hours about pass/merit/distinction and even individual modules.

If the process is close, the academics may look at modules, in which case they'll see the other high module marks.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Liquid_Moreen
I'm finishing my Masters this summer and failed stats by 1% ;____; My uni does the 'condoned pass' thing, if the result falls between 40-49%, and it's automatic without resits for a certain amount of credits, which are the requirements I meet. This will be on my transcript as a 'condoned pass', though.

Other modules I have completed are ranging between high pass, merit, high distinction - three more modules have unknown results but I'm optimistic. I had a 2:1 in my undergrad (extenuating circumstances), my dissertation was acclaimed at an international competition.

I may have an opportunity to resit stats (capped at 50%, no change if grade obtained is lower than first attempt) but it's not clear if the 'condoned pass' is not an automated procedure for my uni if only one module is failed.
If my next grades & dissertation are high the uni still allows merit/distinction overall classification, even with condoned module.

Will your PhD be in statistics or have a large statistics element? If you're applying for a competitive studentship or institution then it may come down to your module marks if it's a topic central to your project.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending