The Student Room Group

UWC applicants for 2020

I haven’t seen any forums for United World Colleges applicants for 2020. I know it’s very early but I wanted to be prepared and see what everyone else is doing in terms of volunteering/extracurricular as I’m not sure I have enough. In essence, are you considering applying to UWC next year and what have you done for it so far?

Scroll to see replies

Thank you so much for creating this! I'm thinking of applying and it would be so great to have people to talk to about it!
Which national committee will you be applying to? I'll be applying to GB. I wish I could start on the essays but I have no idea what the questions are and they don't come out until August. In terms of extra-curricular activities I take dance lessons, play clarinet (taking my grade 8 exam this month), I go to rangers and am a young leader at Brownies, help at messy church and this year I joined lacrosse club at school (I'm not very good though lol). I am also doing DofE and World Challenge. What about you?
I will also be applying to the GB committee (hopefully that means we’ll see each other at interviews:h:). I really want to start the essays as well and wish they would release them, however I have been looking through previous years threads to see what the questions are like and thinking of what I might do. As for extracurricular I don’t have as many continuous ones as other people as I have had to move countries quite a lot (father in military), but I volunteer at my local library, am a student librarian and help children with lower reading ages to improve, founded and run a debate society in my school for younger students, was a scout until I had to quit, will have completed my DofE by the time applications open and I am part of a group at school aimed at promoting the United Nations convention on the rights of the child. I do take part in sports but none very consistently so I couldn’t list any particular clubs.
Original post by JasmineNPH
Which national committee will you be applying to? I'll be applying to GB. I wish I could start on the essays but I have no idea what the questions are and they don't come out until August. In terms of extra-curricular activities I take dance lessons, play clarinet (taking my grade 8 exam this month), I go to rangers and am a young leader at Brownies, help at messy church and this year I joined lacrosse club at school (I'm not very good though lol). I am also doing DofE and World Challenge. What about you?
I think that's really great! And wow, moving countries and experiencing many cultures must have been so interesting. That is surely something interesting to put in your application! I'm also eager to make a start on the essays, as I know how much I tend to mull over things 😂
Which schools are you particularly interested in? Will you be looking to get a scholarship?
I mean I would love to be accepted to any of them but the main issue is scholarship. I think I probably wouldn’t be able to get that much scholarship though so I’m just applying to the European ones. I really like UWC Maastricht but that’s mainly because I lived near there and speak semi-fluent Dutch/ would like to relearn. However I think I would be best suited to UWCRCN because I love the location and campus and they do a couple of skiing events which I love. However I think if we get in the selection committee will probably put us in the one we’ll do best in even if we may not have considered it.
Original post by JasmineNPH
Which schools are you particularly interested in? Will you be looking to get a scholarship?
Which schools are you thinking of? Also I was wondering if you know any of the statistics about what household income would get what amount of scholarship? I mean you might not even need scholarship, but I haven’t been able to find much information on it
Original post by MadeliefjeHolmes
I mean I would love to be accepted to any of them but the main issue is scholarship. I think I probably wouldn’t be able to get that much scholarship though so I’m just applying to the European ones. I really like UWC Maastricht but that’s mainly because I lived near there and speak semi-fluent Dutch/ would like to relearn. However I think I would be best suited to UWCRCN because I love the location and campus and they do a couple of skiing events which I love. However I think if we get in the selection committee will probably put us in the one we’ll do best in even if we may not have considered it.

Yeah I think RCN looks great too. Well, tbh I'd be so happy to get into any. I feel like the European ones would probably be easier financially though.
Oh Lord, now that I've read the replies above I feel so insecure cause I haven't done as much.. I've volunteered at my local rehabilitation centre for children (for 9 months but I don't think it's enough) and took part in MUN and I'm a part of my school's volleyball team. I'm also doing DofE but I don't think I'll be able to finish it before the applications begin. I used to play the piano (I finished music school) but haven't played it in 2 years so I'm not sure whether I should include it too..
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by overthinqueen
Oh Lord, now that I've read the replies above I feel so insecure cause I haven't done as much.. I've volunteered at my local rehabilitation centre for children (for 9 months but I don't think it's enough) and took part in MUN and I'm a part of my school's volleyball team. I'm also doing DofE but I don't think I'll be able to finish it before the applications begin. I used to play the piano (I finished music school) but haven't played it in 2 years so I'm not sure whether I should include it too..

Don't worry, what you've done sounds great! Extra curriculars are only one of the things they take into consideration. Glad to hear from another person applying 😊
you guys have all done so much! i did netball for a year and scouts for 2, but bc of finances i haven’t really done much lately:frown: i do attend the youth climate strikes and im a representative for my school, and i help out in my schools art club and take part in the school plays, do you think that’s enough? volunteering hasn’t been possible for me because my local area only takes over 16s, and the other spots have been taken by DofE participants (couldn’t do it bc i couldn’t afford it & only 60 people were picked from my school at random)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by peachpit
you guys have all done so much! i did netball for a year and scouts for 2, but bc of finances i haven’t really done much lately:frown: i do attend the youth climate strikes and im a representative for my school, and i help out in my schools art club and take part in the school plays, do you think that’s enough? volunteering hasn’t been possible for me because my local area only takes over 16s, and the other spots have been taken by DofE participants (couldn’t do it bc i couldn’t afford it & only 60 people were picked from my school at random)

Dw, as long as ur passionate about the uwc movement, u will be fine. Anyways, I'm sure they take financial situations into consideration.
hey guys im the gb student at pearson just here to say if yall are interested theres 4 uwc info days coming up: (actually the Birmingham one has already passed, was on the 15th june yeet), newcastle 22nd, london 22nd (i’ll be there too lmao hmu), and york 29th june. im p sure u can find more info on the uwc gb website too.
It does say on their website that it looks for individuals that have excelled within their circumstances, so if there were financial reasons they’ll definitely take that into account. Also extracurricular is only a small part of what they look at so I’m sure you’ll do great✨
Original post by peachpit

It
Hiya guys! ^-^
Gosh, I can't believe there's already a new thread lol. I applied in October 2018. Somehow, I managed to get accepted to AC and will be starting there in September *-*
Don't stress too much on extracurriculars, just do things you are passionate about and you'll be fine. Good luck with your applications and try not to stress too much :smile: I only started my application 2 weeks before the deadline and I was okay lmao.
if you have any questions or just wanna chat, feel free to message me :biggrin:
Hey guys! I'm gonna be applying through the committee in the US!

In terms of ECs, I'm a leader in my school Band and Marching Band, I volunteer down at the middle school, do Mock Trial, and this year I'll be picking up a few extra things. I do a lot of self teaching, but idk if they even wanna hear about all that.... I don't think it'll be enough, but my grades are good and I take every advanced course offered to me at the highest level. What do you guys think?

My main issue is scholarship. My dad passed and we don't have a lot of money, so if I can't get money to cover AT LEAST 75% of the costs, I can't go, even if I do get accepted.
Oh, and I think my top choice will be RCN (finances not considered). Maybe some of us will get to meet!
Hi, I’m also looking at applying to UWC this year, with my first choice most likely being Maastricht. However I feel as though I’m lacking in extra curriculars, I was on the rugby team and I take part in my schools journalism club too, and volunteered for St. John ambulance for a while but that’s about it. I have a part time job at the moment, will that count as an extra curricular too? x
I read that they understand if students had a job, and working shows you're responsible and may even demonstrate an ability to commit if you've been working there for awhile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending