The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2019/2020

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by numberthree
The highermathematics.co.uk website is really good. It has past papers arranged by topic and, if you're using the Heinemann textbook, then you can find worked solutions to all the questions on there too. DLB Maths on youtube is also great. The key with Maths is consistency. Do as many questions as you can and your hard work will pay off :smile:

Thank you so much for your help!
Where is everyone at with higher maths? We are halfway through the last topic in Unit 2!
Original post by kawaii_panda101
Where is everyone at with higher maths? We are halfway through the last topic in Unit 2!

There is units??? We have like 12 portfolios like in different topics and right now we are at portfolio 7. I think our school has done it a strange way as we started with Logs and Exps which on like websites for help it is one of the last topics
Original post by Valeriex
There is units??? We have like 12 portfolios like in different topics and right now we are at portfolio 7. I think our school has done it a strange way as we started with Logs and Exps which on like websites for help it is one of the last topics

Oh! I thought all the schools did it in Units. We work through 3 units that cover everything. we started with like some basics like the distance and midpoint formula then went from there.
Reply 24
Is anyone doing the prelim in Monday, if so what's gonna be in the prelim and is it non-calculator or calculator or both?
Original post by CharG3
Is anyone doing the prelim in Monday, if so what's gonna be in the prelim and is it non-calculator or calculator or both?

Different schools do their prelims on different dates (and using different question papers), but I'd expect that you'll have both a calculator & non calculator paper, covering all of the topics that you've done so far, unless your teacher has told you otherwise. Good luck with it! :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Labrador99
Different schools do their prelims on different dates (and using different question papers), but I'd expect that you'll have both a calculator & non calculator paper, covering all of the topics that you've done so far, unless your teacher has told you otherwise. Good luck with it! :smile:

Ok, thank you :biggrin:
Reply 27
image.jpgHey could someone be able to help me with question 8, I understand simple chain rule stuff but this question has got me stumped
Original post by N3W
image.jpgHey could someone be able to help me with question 8, I understand simple chain rule stuff but this question has got me stumped

Looking at that shows me how much a actually need to study omg, all those questions are hella confusing 😂😂
Reply 29
Original post by xBeccaPx
Looking at that shows me how much a actually need to study omg, all those questions are hella confusing 😂😂

it is from the Leckie and Leckie higher question papers book, but I am finding the questions so difficult compared to the ones we do in class,, literally my thoughts when I first opened the book
Anyone else find just anything to do with graphs confusing! I just look at them and almost give up lol
Original post by Mollyanne2003
Anyone else find just anything to do with graphs confusing! I just look at them and almost give up lol

Yeah, optimisation is the absolute worst though. It cost around 20 marks in the prelim and I hadn't a clue on how to do a single step :s-smilie:
Original post by SchuylerSister22
Yeah, optimisation is the absolute worst though. It cost around 20 marks in the prelim and I hadn't a clue on how to do a single step :s-smilie:

Yep it just makes me so confused! I’m in the process of getting a maths tutor as I really need an A this year, and I really don’t want to have to resit it so hoping that a tutor will help!
Failed the prelim:frown:
Original post by xelliexx223

Sorry to hear it didn't go so well :console:

But don't give up, remember a prelim is just a prelim - it doesn't really matter. You've still got time to turn things around before the exam in May :yep:

Looking at your question paper...
Were there particular topics where you lost lots of marks?
Or particular question types?
Or maybe your grade in one of the papers was much lower than the other?
Once you identify these things you'll have a pretty good idea of what areas of the course you need to focus on.

Here, I don't mean the questions, I mean the actual exam on the day...
How did you feel the exam went?
Did you have a bad day, or was something distracting you from giving it your focus?
Did you struggle with your timings?
Was it different/easier/harder than you expected?
Did you follow a plan of how you approached the exam? Did the plan you followed (or the lack of one) work well for you?
Answering these will help you find out if you need to work on any particular aspects of exam technique.

And thinking about your preparation...
What methods did you use to revise? Are these the same ones you used for Nat 5, or have you adapted them to suit the Higher content/level? Are you using active methods of revision that work effectively for you as an individual?
Did you have enough resources (decent teaching, revision materials such as past papers, support from teachers, time) to prepare?
Have you been able to keep up with the work/homework in class? (there's lots of reasons someone might not have, so there's no shame whatsoever if this one is a no)
Equally, have you balanced this preparation with looking after yourself?
If there's an aspect of these that you feel is missing, taking action to make it better might be able to make quite a big difference & improve your grade.

The above is to think about, rather than necessarily something you need to respond to here (though happy to chat about it!), and will hopefully help you figure out what key things you could work on between now and the final exam. Hope this helps- you've got this :yep:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by xelliexx223

Don't worry, I also failed
Original post by Labrador99
Sorry to hear it didn't go so well :console:

But don't give up, remember a prelim is just a prelim - it doesn't really matter. You've still got time to turn things around before the exam in May :yep:

Looking at your question paper...
Were there particular topics where you lost lots of marks?
Or particular question types?
Or maybe your grade in one of the papers was much lower than the other?
Once you identify these things you'll have a pretty good idea of what areas of the course you need to focus on.

Here, I don't mean the questions, I mean the actual exam on the day...
How did you feel the exam went?
Did you have a bad day, or was something distracting you from giving it your focus?
Did you struggle with your timings?
Was it different/easier/harder than you expected?
Did you follow a plan of how you approached the exam? Did the plan you followed (or the lack of one) work well for you?
Answering these will help you find out if you need to work on any particular aspects of exam technique.

And thinking about your preparation...
What methods did you use to revise? Are these the same ones you used for Nat 5, or have you adapted them to suit the Higher content/level? Are you using active methods of revision that work effectively for you as an individual?
Did you have enough resources (decent teaching, revision materials such as past papers, support from teachers, time) to prepare?
Have you been able to keep up with the work/homework in class? (there's lots of reasons someone might not have, so there's no shame whatsoever if this one is a no)
Equally, have you balanced this preparation with looking after yourself?
If there's an aspect of these that you feel is missing, taking action to make it better might be able to make quite a big difference & improve your grade.

The above is to think about, rather than necessarily something you need to respond to here (though happy to chat about it!), and will hopefully help you figure out what key things you could work on between now and the final exam. Hope this helps- you've got this :yep:

Thank you!
So I got a c in my prelim and I never passed the recent test we had in February and I don't know what else to do to up my marks. I've done all past papers and practised on the stuff I did bad in, In my prelim. Anyone got any more tips????
Original post by Hamzy786
So I got a c in my prelim and I never passed the recent test we had in February and I don't know what else to do to up my marks. I've done all past papers and practised on the stuff I did bad in, In my prelim. Anyone got any more tips????

Do five to ten questions every night from highermaths dot com to start with - they cover so many topics and I think there’s about 200 of them, plus they have all the past papers etc
Reply 39
Original post by Hamzy786

Are you working from a textbook in class? If so - and assuming you don't already - ask if you can take it home and every night, do a few questions. The thing about maths is you have to do it to learn it rather than just learn the theory. Whilst you're doing questions do the same topic that day as you will apply what you learn to the next questions. And then if you're getting questions wrong, ask your teacher to explain. http://www.hsn.uk.net/higher-maths/notes This website has very good notes on every topic, and it has all the different types of questions you can be asked. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending