The Student Room Group

I have £84,000 in the stock market, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

where did you ge the money to invest in the market in the first place?
Original post by TS33
How much did you have the last time you did an AMA? 82 or 62k?

82k because donald trump took all my money putting tariffs on china and mexico. Market has been flat because of tariffs, slowing economy and brexit. Still managing to stay above water regardless and I should get to 100k once the market picks up.
Original post by iBearHQ
Do you think as someone beginning to invest it would be smarter to look at investing into indexes initially?

Yes, index funds if you don't want to bother with learning finance. Just gradually keep adding to a S&P 500 index fund every month (ideally one which is hedged against the dollar, since the pound is weak right now). Try to add more when markets decline as well.
Original post by Gent2324
where did you ge the money to invest in the market in the first place?

Side jobs, phd stipend
Original post by maachu_pichuu
82k because donald trump took all my money putting tariffs on china and mexico. Market has been flat because of tariffs, slowing economy and brexit. Still managing to stay above water regardless and I should get to 100k once the market picks up.

I haven't done this in a while, ask me anything on the stock market/ investing/ finance.

What stocks/ETFs are you invested in?
Not a troll, I hardly have millions in the market lol. I don't need to provide a screenshot, I can answer your questions if you want.
Original post by SchmuckOff
What stocks/ETFs are you invested in?

Mainly Apple, Visa and Square......smaller holdings in Greggs, Alphabet, Facebook, Berkeley Group Holdings, Paragon Banking Group, Legal and General and Starbucks
Ok, I'm a troll. Are you happy now? I've made these threads before you know.
If you're actively investing, prepare to get burned. Almost no one consistently beats the index, no reason to think you will!
I add money every month mate, the market has been flat. I've been investing since 2015. Jesus, why are you so paranoid? I'm just here to answer your questions.
how long did it take you to save that much money? also what was your job as this is the student room Im going to presume your at uni at the same time? how do you balance both investing in stocks and study? Im afraid to put my savings in stocks as i know absolutely nothing about it and I have heard you could lose all your money? what advice do you have for me who has £5000 in savings and after uni in 5 years time. what stocks should I invest in?? ie which is the safest yet could give me a good return ect??
Original post by DarthRoar
If you're actively investing, prepare to get burned. Almost no one consistently beats the index, no reason to think you will!

Buffett did, Peter Lynch did, a lot of people have. But yes, it is hard, but you limit your holdings to a few conviction bets.
Swing trader or long term trader
Buffett did, Peter Lynch did, a lot of people have. But yes, it is hard, but you limit your holdings to a few conviction bets.
Original post by LillyAllen
how long did it take you to save that much money? also what was your job as this is the student room Im going to presume your at uni at the same time? how do you balance both investing in stocks and study? Im afraid to put my savings in stocks as i know absolutely nothing about it and I have heard you could lose all your money? what advice do you have for me who has £5000 in savings and after uni in 5 years time. what stocks should I invest in?? ie which is the safest yet could give me a good return ect??

Investing since 2015. I'm a PhD student, so I get a stipend plus I work a side job. PhD involves more research than study, I couldn't hack an exam these days, I can barely do maths as well now lol.

£5000 is a lot of money, if I could only pick one stock to invest in right now it would be either Visa or Mastercard, but there is a lot of risk with investing in a single stock. You can remove firm specific risk by diversifying, but you will tend towards a market return of 8-9% a year if you do that. Visa last year clocked 30%. So you can see the difference.

If you want a more balanced approach, VTI (vanguard total index fund) or VOO (vanguard S&P 500) is good as well.

Well if you think you're a Buffet then have at it, but imo index funds are the best risk/reward tradeoff.

Put savings in stocks if:
- You don't want to access them for 10+ years.
- You understand about investing and/or index tracker funds.
- You can hold your nerve after seeing your savings lose value for several years straight.

I must also mention my PhD is in finance, so I have a fair bit of knowledge when it comes to what to buy and when to buy. But if you don't have much knowledge in investment, it's best to buy an index fund consistently over time.
ngl , I'm 16 and I made 6.5% last year so....
Most people can beat inflation :biggrin:
But I'm also quite lucky.
Yea OP did this exact same AMA 6 months ago i think, and i got the same impression, didn't seem as aware as i would expect someone who is completing a finance doctoral studentship to have...
+ having 84k means nothing its small potatoes for normal market movers
I think I've made around £16,000 in profit (just capital gains) and at least £5000 (if not more) in dividends. I'm a PhD student in finance.

in 4 years? thats not a lot?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending