The Student Room Group

Msc Geoscience: Leeds or Aberdeen

I was recently accepted into the Structural Geology with Geophysics masters program at the University of Leeds and the Integrated Petroleum Geoscience program at the University of Aberdeen. I am struggling to pick between the two. Both seem like well respected programs with Aberdeen's name coming up a little more often in discussions about reputation. However, Leeds has some advantages as a city for me and my wife over Aberdeen. Is there a significant difference betweem the job placement after graduation between the two schools with oil companies? Or other reasons to pick one over the other?
Hello Deltafiveoh,
I saw your thread about which programme to choose. It is always difficult choosing a specific programme and place. I would look at both programmes and the modules to see which best fit what you would like to do with your career. I would then decide what added value you can get from the programme and city.

Aberdeen is of course known globally for the oil and gas industry and the programmes here reflect this to a large extent. Many of the academics here have been researching the industry and working with it since the 1970s oil boom across the supply chain and many programmes are led by industry advisory boards, made up of professionals from the industry to ensure that the needs of the industry are addressed in programmes.

There are hundreds of oil and gas related companies in the city and many are household names with head offices in the city. Throughout the year there are industry events held in the city and plenty of networking opportunities at events to meet people. Many postgraduate programmes offer either 'live' consultancy work for students to investigate challenges in the industry, case studies - direct from research, or exciting field trips to really understand your subject. You may like to view the various industry organisations in the city which include:

Oil and Gas UK
The Oil and Gas Innovation Centre (OGIC)
The National Decommissioning Centre
Oil and Gas Authority

Have you been to an open day in Aberdeen to find out more about the university and programme? You can also visit Aberdeen without booking an open day and chat to your tutor and maybe find out if you can visit one or two companies whilst you are here to find out first hand what sorts of opportunities are available inlcuding placements. Also contact the oil and gas recruitment agencies as they will know where specific skills are likely to be required locally and globally.

Enjoy your studies wherever you decide to go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending