The Student Room Group

Experiences on the Copper or Hormonal coil?

So I’ve been on the pill for the last 4 years since I was 16, I was on microgynon and had absolutely no issues with it, I went to the chemist to pick up some more and suddenly been changed to Rigevidon, I’ve heard many many things about this and considering I’m going to uni in 2 months I’m not happy with them changing my pill suddenly.
I’ve been thinking about the coil, more so the hormonal one like the Mirena, but I want to know how painful they are or if there’s anything really bad? I know everyone’s body is different but I’ve been stressing about my contraception for ages now and I’m even considering just stopping altogether and using condoms. So do I use regividon, try the hormonal coil or just stop altogether😫😫
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve been on the pill for the last 4 years since I was 16, I was on microgynon and had absolutely no issues with it, I went to the chemist to pick up some more and suddenly been changed to Rigevidon, I’ve heard many many things about this and considering I’m going to uni in 2 months I’m not happy with them changing my pill suddenly.
I’ve been thinking about the coil, more so the hormonal one like the Mirena, but I want to know how painful they are or if there’s anything really bad? I know everyone’s body is different but I’ve been stressing about my contraception for ages now and I’m even considering just stopping altogether and using condoms. So do I use regividon, try the hormonal coil or just stop altogether😫😫

Microgynon and Rigevidon are the same - same amount of each hormone. I know this because I was on Rigevidon for 3 years and was then swapped to Microgynon, and had the same concern as you. But they're the same, and I took it with no issues.

If you want to talk more about different options of contraception, speak to your GP and they can help decide what is best for you.
Original post by Anonymous

I've had a mirena and it wasn't the most comfortable thing having it inserted but the pain literally lasted a few of minutes until they put in local anaesthetic gel. It's bearable, probably similar to a really bad period on the pain scale. Worth considering as you don't have to worry about contraception for 5 years, and some people find that it stops their periods as well.
I'm 21 and I've had the copper coil for a year and a half now following a pregnancy scare and it's been amazing! It's so good not having to worry about getting pregnant or using a condom (was previously with a long term boyfriend, otherwise defo use a condom for safe sex). Also with the copper one I still get my periods which is reassuring to know I'm not having an ectopic pregnancy or anything (which is a very very low risk btw). The procedure didn't hurt for me at all as I had the local anaesthetic and took painkilllers before and after. After that, my periods got more painful than usual (I rarely used to get period pain) but that was the only downside really. The past 6 months or so, I'm back to hardly getting period pain. I've heard others say that they find the IUD painful or get more heavy bleeding but this wasn't the case for me. I suggest trying it if you're keen because if you don't like it, it's super easy to remove. And if you do, you're sorted for the next 10 years at least and you don't have to worry about unplanned pregnancy! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest