The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for setting up the thread!

Welcome to the new thread for prospective Cardiff medical school A100 applicants for 2020 entry. This thread is designed to give prospective applicants a chance to discuss the application process, the course and the university, as well as get to known eachother.

There are current Cardiff medical students around to answer your questions:
- @Mutmit287 - Current Cardiff final year

Here are some useful links and contact details:
Overview and entry requirements
2020 entry undergraduate degree programme
Key contacts

FAQ Section:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Is there any information on what the academic criteria are (in particular the GCSE grade scoring)? The website was supposed to have updated in August buts it clear what the new criteria are.

How are applicants selected for interview?
Cardiff perform an academic and non-academic assessment of applicants prior to interview.
The academic score is formulated from your best 9 GCSEs (to include English Language, Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry or double award science) as well as any achieved A-level grades at A or above.
If an applicant meets the academic score cut-off (which is not pre-set, it is decided upon during each application cycle and can change each year), their personal statements and referees report will be assessed.
Further information can be found here

Reply 3
Welcome aboard this year's thread for prospective undergraduate Cardiff medical school applicants! Post your stats and fire away!
Reply 4
Original post by hills20
Is there any information on what the academic criteria are (in particular the GCSE grade scoring)? The website was supposed to have updated in August buts it clear what the new crI meant its "not" clear what new GCSE mapping is.

I understand that for selection for interview the GCSEs were scored with A* being scored as 3 points and A being scored as 2 points.
It is not clear whether an 8 in the new GCSE grading system will be awarded 2 points or 3.
See this link "New GCSE grading structure in England"
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/policies-and-procedures/uk-qualification-reform
which is found on the Admissions criteria page:
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/admissions-criteria/medicine/medicine
It seems to suggest that an 8 in the new grading system maps to A in the old grading system. Whereas in the open day we were told that 9 and 8 will map to A*.
Reply 5
Cardiff changed it this year. A*, 8 and 9 are now awarded 3 points.
Reply 6
Why would they not update the website then? This is very confusing.

Where did you get the information that they changed it?

Original post by Mel242
Cardiff changed it this year. A*, 8 and 9 are now awarded 3 points.
I am a little unsure of how the scoring system works, my GCSE grades are a mixture of numbers and letters. They are as follows:

Maths-8
Eng Lang-9
Eng Lit-8
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A
Physics-A*
Geography- A
Spanish-A*
Computer Science-6
HPQ (higher project qualification) - A*

Could somebody tell me what my score is with the new system and how it will compare to the cut offs?
Original post by Walid1902
I am a little unsure of how the scoring system works, my GCSE grades are a mixture of numbers and letters. They are as follows:

Maths-8
Eng Lang-9
Eng Lit-8
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A
Physics-A*
Geography- A
Spanish-A*
Computer Science-6

Could somebody tell me what my score is with the new system and how it will compare to the cut offs?

You could either convert them all to numbers or letters. I would say they look good from a glance and you might wanna give Cardiff a shot, if unsure just email them.. they are really good with their replies

Maths-8
Eng Lang-9
Eng Lit-8
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A
Physics-A*
Geography- A
Spanish-A*
Computer Science-6

Top 9 GCSE’s 3pts for 9/8/a* 2 pts for 7/a and 1pt for 6/b
I make your score 23 and cutoff is usually around 24-26 although more frequently the higher end of that ( I don’t think the hpq would count though but if it did you would have 25 and whilst possible it is good to know the cutoff is often 26)
Original post by DGeorge13
Top 9 GCSE’s 3pts for 9/8/a* 2 pts for 7/a and 1pt for 6/b
I make your score 23 and cutoff is usually around 24-26 although more frequently the higher end of that ( I don’t think the hpq would count though but if it did you would have 25 and whilst possible it is good to know the cutoff is often 26)

Ok thanks probably be smart not to apply then. Also do you know what the cut off was last year (2018-2019) entry. I know that the previous year was 26.
Ok thanks probably be smart not to apply then. Also do you know what the cut off was last year (2018-2019) entry. I know that the previous year was 26.

I think it dropped slightly as only 9=3 pts last year
Original post by lecrae
You could either convert them all to numbers or letters. I would say they look good from a glance and you might wanna give Cardiff a shot, if unsure just email them.. they are really good with their replies

I'm not so sure I should apply, they are very borderline. I have sent them an email asking whether they count the HPQ or not. Just waiting for a response.
I'm not so sure I should apply, they are very borderline. I have sent them an email asking whether they count the HPQ or not. Just waiting for a response.

It will also depend on what your other stats are , what your other choices are and how safe they are as well as how badly you want to risk Cardiff
Reply 14
Original post by Samski10
So I have A*AA already achieved at A level. 7A* and 7A at IGCSE and A* in EPQ. Is Cardiff a good bet for an interview? I'm not sure if A levels are added to GCSE marks? Would I be likely to go to Personal Statement stage of scoring? Thanks

Assuming they score iGCSE the same as normal ones, you have (7 x 3) + (2 x 2) +3 +2 +2 = 32 but this will be rounded down to 27 (full marks). They add the points for achieved A levels to those for GCSEs
Reply 15
Hiya,
So at GCSE I got 2 9's, 1 8, 7 A*'s and an A, in my UCAT I got a score of 2950 (737.5 av) and band 2, and I'm predicted 3 A's at A level (my school doesn't predict A*'s). I'm very certain that I want to apply to Newcastle, Sheffield and Birmingham, which all seem to be very friendly and a nice place to study, but I am torn about my fourth choice. I like the look of Cardiff, however, I can't seem to get my head around how its selection for interview takes place (I know it's quite GCSE based but there's some chat about 8's being scored as A's) and also whether they take into account predictions when making offers. Can anyone offer any advice?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Charlotte2018
Hiya,
So at GCSE I got 2 9's, 1 8, 7 A*'s and an A, in my UCAT I got a score of 2950 (737.5 av) and band 2, and I'm predicted 3 A's at A level (my school doesn't predict A*'s). I'm very certain that I want to apply to Newcastle, Sheffield and Birmingham, which all seem to be very friendly and a nice place to study, but I am torn about my fourth choice. I like the look of Cardiff, however, I can't seem to get my head around how its selection for interview takes place (I know it's quite GCSE based but there's some chat about 8's being scored as A's) and also whether they take into account predictions when making offers. Can anyone offer any advice?
Thank you :smile:

They score your best 9 GCSEs as detailed in the first post, with an A*/9/8 being scored 3, an A/7 being scored 2 and a B/6 given 1 (or this is what they have done in previous years and they have not stated it is different this year, though Cardiff do not like giving out clear, precise information).
Cut offs are not fixed, but were 26 out of 27 for 2017 and 2018 entry.
Predictions are not part of the scoring, but if you have achieved A levels, then the score for those is added to your GCSE score
Reply 17
Original post by GANFYD
They score your best 9 GCSEs as detailed in the first post, with an A*/9/8 being scored 3, an A/7 being scored 2 and a B/6 given 1 (or this is what they have done in previous years and they have not stated it is different this year, though Cardiff do not like giving out clear, precise information).
Cut offs are not fixed, but were 26 out of 27 for 2017 and 2018 entry.
Predictions are not part of the scoring, but if you have achieved A levels, then the score for those is added to your GCSE score

Thank you so much! It just all seems a bit up in the air with the information available about Cardiff- seems to be a problem many other students are having! Do you happen to have any other suggestions about where to apply? What’s your opinion on Scottish universities, I’ve heard the number of UK students have really been reduced.
Reply 18
Original post by Charlotte2018
Thank you so much! It just all seems a bit up in the air with the information available about Cardiff- seems to be a problem many other students are having! Do you happen to have any other suggestions about where to apply? What’s your opinion on Scottish universities, I’ve heard the number of UK students have really been reduced.

Post all your stats on the megathread and people will try to help. We do not want to derail the Cardiff thread
hi guys, please could anyone answer my questions if you know?

if you are resitting an a level do you think you can add the others ones to the main score of GCSEs?
also, does anyone what the cut off has been for the last three years for the academic requirements?

Latest

Trending

Trending