ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago

Welcome to the Cardiff University A100 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde...medicine-mbbch

For entry requirements click: (see above)

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks ecolier for setting up the thread!

Welcome to the new thread for prospective Cardiff medical school A100 applicants for 2020 entry. This thread is designed to give prospective applicants a chance to discuss the application process, the course and the university, as well as get to known eachother.

There are current Cardiff medical students around to answer your questions:
- Mutmit287 - Current Cardiff final year

Here are some useful links and contact details:
Overview and entry requirements
2020 entry undergraduate degree programme
Key contacts

FAQ Section:

Spoiler:
Show
How competitive is it to gain a place on the medicine course at Cardiff?
Cardiff medical school receive approximately 3,000 applicants each year for around 300 places. Approximately 1,500 students are invited to interview.

How are applicants selected for interview?
Cardiff perform an academic and non-academic assessment of applicants prior to interview.
The academic score is formulated from your best 9 GCSEs (to include English Language, Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry or double award science) as well as any achieved A-level grades at A or above.
If an applicant meets the academic score cut-off (which is not pre-set, it is decided upon during each application cycle and can change each year), their personal statements and referees report will be assessed.
Further information can be found here

Do i need to sit an entrance exam?
Yes, Cardiff require all undergraduate applicants to sit the UCAT examination. This must be sat in the months prior to application, you cannot use a UCAT score from previous admissions cycles. All graduates must sit the GAMSAT rather than the UCAT. There is no minimum threshold/cutoff score used for either of these exams.

What is the interview process like at Cardiff?
Cardiff uses the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) format. If invited to interview you will spend half a day on campus. During this time you will complete a 9 station, 8 minute per station MMI interview. These interviews take place over 3 weeks in December/January.

What style is Cardiff's medicine course?
Cardiff's medical degree is built around case based learning (CBL). This is a structured and supportive learning style designed to facilitate peer assisted learning and independent thinking skills. In years 1 and 2, you will be presented with clinical cases which will form the basis of your teaching for a 2 week block. All lectures, small group tutorials, labs, anatomy classes and placements will be based around this case. You will consolidate these structured timetabled learning sessions during your regular case group meetings, alongside a small number of colleagues and a facilitator (an academic). Cardiff Spiral curriculum also means that each year you will revisit the common clinical problems and build on what you have already learnt.

Does Cardiff do dissection?
Yes, During your first year you will perform dissections in order to learn anatomy.

Does Cardiff medical school have early patient contact?
Placements begin in year 1, with students visiting general practice settings weekly alongside their case based learning. This continues into year 2 and is backed up throughout by clinical skills and communication skills teaching.
Years 3, 4 and 5 consist of longer structured blocks of clinical placements, where students are attached to specialities within the hospitals throughout Wales. Students move hospitals for each placement allowing them to experience different medical settings.

Can you intercalate at Cardiff?
Cardiff offers intercalated BSc (iBSc) degrees within the school of medicine, the school of bio-sciences and Bangor University. Students can apply during their 3rd or 4th years and if successful will undertake a year of study outside them medical programme and gain a bachelor of science degree.

If you have any other questions please ask away!

hills20
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is there any information on what the academic criteria are (in particular the GCSE grade scoring)? The website was supposed to have updated in August buts it clear what the new criteria are.

How are applicants selected for interview?
Cardiff perform an academic and non-academic assessment of applicants prior to interview.
The academic score is formulated from your best 9 GCSEs (to include English Language, Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry or double award science) as well as any achieved A-level grades at A or above.
If an applicant meets the academic score cut-off (which is not pre-set, it is decided upon during each application cycle and can change each year), their personal statements and referees report will be assessed.
Further information can be found here

A_J_B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Welcome aboard this year's thread for prospective undergraduate Cardiff medical school applicants! Post your stats and fire away!
hills20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hills20)
Is there any information on what the academic criteria are (in particular the GCSE grade scoring)? The website was supposed to have updated in August buts it clear what the new crI meant its "not" clear what new GCSE mapping is.
I understand that for selection for interview the GCSEs were scored with A* being scored as 3 points and A being scored as 2 points.
It is not clear whether an 8 in the new GCSE grading system will be awarded 2 points or 3.
See this link "New GCSE grading structure in England"
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde...ication-reform
which is found on the Admissions criteria page:
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde...icine/medicine
It seems to suggest that an 8 in the new grading system maps to A in the old grading system. Whereas in the open day we were told that 9 and 8 will map to A*.
Mel242
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cardiff changed it this year. A*, 8 and 9 are now awarded 3 points.
hills20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would they not update the website then? This is very confusing.

Where did you get the information that they changed it?

(Original post by Mel242)
Cardiff changed it this year. A*, 8 and 9 are now awarded 3 points.
Walid1902
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am a little unsure of how the scoring system works, my GCSE grades are a mixture of numbers and letters. They are as follows:

Maths-8
Eng Lang-9
Eng Lit-8
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A
Physics-A*
Geography- A
Spanish-A*
Computer Science-6
HPQ (higher project qualification) - A*

Could somebody tell me what my score is with the new system and how it will compare to the cut offs?
Neurocandid
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Walid1902)
I am a little unsure of how the scoring system works, my GCSE grades are a mixture of numbers and letters. They are as follows:

Maths-8
Eng Lang-9
Eng Lit-8
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A
Physics-A*
Geography- A
Spanish-A*
Computer Science-6

Could somebody tell me what my score is with the new system and how it will compare to the cut offs?
You could either convert them all to numbers or letters. I would say they look good from a glance and you might wanna give Cardiff a shot, if unsure just email them.. they are really good with their replies
DGeorge13
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Maths-8
Eng Lang-9
Eng Lit-8
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A
Physics-A*
Geography- A
Spanish-A*
Computer Science-6

Top 9 GCSE’s 3pts for 9/8/a* 2 pts for 7/a and 1pt for 6/b
I make your score 23 and cutoff is usually around 24-26 although more frequently the higher end of that ( I don’t think the hpq would count though but if it did you would have 25 and whilst possible it is good to know the cutoff is often 26)
Walid1902
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Top 9 GCSE’s 3pts for 9/8/a* 2 pts for 7/a and 1pt for 6/b
I make your score 23 and cutoff is usually around 24-26 although more frequently the higher end of that ( I don’t think the hpq would count though but if it did you would have 25 and whilst possible it is good to know the cutoff is often 26)
Ok thanks probably be smart not to apply then. Also do you know what the cut off was last year (2018-2019) entry. I know that the previous year was 26.
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok thanks probably be smart not to apply then. Also do you know what the cut off was last year (2018-2019) entry. I know that the previous year was 26.
I think it dropped slightly as only 9=3 pts last year
Walid1902
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lecrae)
You could either convert them all to numbers or letters. I would say they look good from a glance and you might wanna give Cardiff a shot, if unsure just email them.. they are really good with their replies
I'm not so sure I should apply, they are very borderline. I have sent them an email asking whether they count the HPQ or not. Just waiting for a response.
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not so sure I should apply, they are very borderline. I have sent them an email asking whether they count the HPQ or not. Just waiting for a response.
It will also depend on what your other stats are , what your other choices are and how safe they are as well as how badly you want to risk Cardiff
Samski10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I have A*AA already achieved at A level. 7A* and 7A at IGCSE and A* in EPQ. Is Cardiff a good bet for an interview? I'm not sure if A levels are added to GCSE marks? Would I be likely to go to Personal Statement stage of scoring? Thanks
Samski10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Samski10)
So I have A*AA already achieved at A level. 7A* and 7A at IGCSE and A* in EPQ. Is Cardiff a good bet for an interview? I'm not sure if A levels are added to GCSE marks? Would I be likely to go to Personal Statement stage of scoring? Thanks
Sorry I meant to say 7A* and 3A at IGCSE (though I wish it were 7....)
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Samski10)
Assuming they score iGCSE the same as normal ones, you have (7 x 3) + (2 x 2) +3 +2 +2 = 32 but this will be rounded down to 27 (full marks). They add the points for achieved A levels to those for GCSEs
Samski10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Assuming they score iGCSE the same as normal ones, you have (7 x 3) + (2 x 2) +3 +2 +2 = 32 but this will be rounded down to 27 (full marks). They add the points for achieved A levels to those for GCSEs
Thank you! I wasn’t sure.
Charlotte2018
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya,
So at GCSE I got 2 9's, 1 8, 7 A*'s and an A, in my UCAT I got a score of 2950 (737.5 av) and band 2, and I'm predicted 3 A's at A level (my school doesn't predict A*'s). I'm very certain that I want to apply to Newcastle, Sheffield and Birmingham, which all seem to be very friendly and a nice place to study, but I am torn about my fourth choice. I like the look of Cardiff, however, I can't seem to get my head around how its selection for interview takes place (I know it's quite GCSE based but there's some chat about 8's being scored as A's) and also whether they take into account predictions when making offers. Can anyone offer any advice?
Thank you
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Charlotte2018)
Hiya,
So at GCSE I got 2 9's, 1 8, 7 A*'s and an A, in my UCAT I got a score of 2950 (737.5 av) and band 2, and I'm predicted 3 A's at A level (my school doesn't predict A*'s). I'm very certain that I want to apply to Newcastle, Sheffield and Birmingham, which all seem to be very friendly and a nice place to study, but I am torn about my fourth choice. I like the look of Cardiff, however, I can't seem to get my head around how its selection for interview takes place (I know it's quite GCSE based but there's some chat about 8's being scored as A's) and also whether they take into account predictions when making offers. Can anyone offer any advice?
Thank you
They score your best 9 GCSEs as detailed in the first post, with an A*/9/8 being scored 3, an A/7 being scored 2 and a B/6 given 1 (or this is what they have done in previous years and they have not stated it is different this year, though Cardiff do not like giving out clear, precise information).
Cut offs are not fixed, but were 26 out of 27 for 2017 and 2018 entry.
Predictions are not part of the scoring, but if you have achieved A levels, then the score for those is added to your GCSE score
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (97)
68.31%
No I haven't decided yet (27)
19.01%
Yes but I might change my mind (18)
12.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed