The Student Room Group

Too late to tell unis important info?

Hi,
I am applying to study law at university for 2019 entry. I wanted to go in 2018, but did not get the required grades for my firm choice so i have taken a gap year and retaken.

During the gap year i have done 6 months of work experience at a law firm. But because i started after the UCAS deadline the universities do not know about it (not in the personal statement).

In fact all they have from me is that i'm working at sainsbury's. But i left this job in November, so i am worried that they will hold the fact i had not informed them when i had left against me.

Any form of advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by undergradhopeful
Hi,
I am applying to study law at university for 2019 entry. I wanted to go in 2018, but did not get the required grades for my firm choice so i have taken a gap year and retaken.

During the gap year i have done 6 months of work experience at a law firm. But because i started after the UCAS deadline the universities do not know about it (not in the personal statement).

In fact all they have from me is that i'm working at sainsbury's. But i left this job in November, so i am worried that they will hold the fact i had not informed them when i had left against me.

Presumably you already hold your offers and the unis won't care one jot that you left your sainsburys job in November, if that is what you're asking? It's not very clear from your post.

The 6 months work experience at a law firm will be helpful in the future when it comes to applying for jobs in Law as you will be a bit better informed than the majority of applicants, but you need to carry on getting as much relevant work experience as you can throughout your degree too.
If you already have offers this wont make any difference at all.
Its grades that matter at this stage.
Firstly, thanks for your reply. A rather strange analogy of my attempt to inform the universities of relevant work experience? But also humorous.
Original post by undergradhopeful
Hi,

Hello,

That's really great! Working at a law firm for 6 months is a fantastic opportunity to show uni that you are very passionate for law! You can contact the uni and ask them for a email where they may be able to let you inform them or put it in your CV and email it to the uni. Also you do not need to worry, they mainly focus on the grades and when you get accepted you can tell them after.

They will not hold this against you. Working at Sainsbury shows the uni you were being productive with your time.

I hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending