The Student Room Group

Needing appeal information.....please !!

Have just finished 3rd year Uni in Scotland. I have posted on here before, but my circumstances have ever so slightly changed.
I failed literally all of my May exams and was told because of this that I would not be progressing to 4th year and I had no grounds for appealI. I was then advised which capped modules I should be resitting to give me the best chance of leaving with a pass degree.
On speaking to an advisor at the Union I was told that due to my circumstances I 100% Ishould appeal. Anyway appeal has gone in, but I'm now left wondering if I've even done the right thing. If my appeal is succesful (and I know thats a massive if !!) Ive been told that I may be entitled to uncapped resits but they weren't sure if it would be just the May exams or both December and May. Can that be right ??
I was really hoping to resit 3rd year as I dont think given my health issues I could study for all that before the beginning of August resits. I'm also concerned that If I do have to do all of those uncapped resits that I may actually jeopardise me leaving with a pass degree (cause I actually think I'll fail the uncapped resits!!) which was based on me simply sitting a couple of modules. Could anyone tell me........if the board said I could do uncapped resits could I just opt back to focusing on the pass degree modules which would be capped ????
Original post by Anonymous
Have just finished 3rd year Uni in Scotland. I have posted on here before, but my circumstances have ever so slightly changed.
I failed literally all of my May exams and was told because of this that I would not be progressing to 4th year and I had no grounds for appealI. I was then advised which capped modules I should be resitting to give me the best chance of leaving with a pass degree.
On speaking to an advisor at the Union I was told that due to my circumstances I 100% Ishould appeal. Anyway appeal has gone in, but I'm now left wondering if I've even done the right thing. If my appeal is succesful (and I know thats a massive if !!) Ive been told that I may be entitled to uncapped resits but they weren't sure if it would be just the May exams or both December and May. Can that be right ??
I was really hoping to resit 3rd year as I dont think given my health issues I could study for all that before the beginning of August resits. I'm also concerned that If I do have to do all of those uncapped resits that I may actually jeopardise me leaving with a pass degree (cause I actually think I'll fail the uncapped resits!!) which was based on me simply sitting a couple of modules. Could anyone tell me........if the board said I could do uncapped resits could I just opt back to focusing on the pass degree modules which would be capped ????

if they can say that from december you were affected by issues then perhaps you could do those exams but otherwise i'd think it would the may ones alone. i m afraid it's wait to see what the appeals board say.
Reply 2
Would you know though If I could just go back to trying to get my pass degree as I was originally advised if I wasnt happy that the appeal came out on the side of uncapped resits as I opposed to repeating the year which I havec requested. My current frame of mind would not yet let me cope with that amount of resits so soon.
Original post by claireestelle
if they can say that from december you were affected by issues then perhaps you could do those exams but otherwise i'd think it would the may ones alone. i m afraid it's wait to see what the appeals board say.
Would you know though If I could just go back to trying to get my pass degree as I was originally advised if I wasnt happy that the appeal came out on the side of uncapped resits as I opposed to repeating the year which I havec requested. My current frame of mind would not yet let me cope with that amount of resits so soon.

i'm afraid i couldn't say, i m sorry.
Reply 4
Thankyou anyway
Original post by claireestelle
i'm afraid i couldn't say, i m sorry.
If they allowed you basically another 1st attempt at year 3 you could ask about deferring it and taking a leave of absence.
Thankyou anyway
Reply 6
How would that work though ?? Would I have to go home and wait another year to sit them without attending classes or would I still get to attend uni ??
Original post by doodle_333
If they allowed you basically another 1st attempt at year 3 you could ask about deferring it and taking a leave of absence.
Reply 7
Ideally I want to repeat year !!
How would that work though ?? Would I have to go home and wait another year to sit them without attending classes or would I still get to attend uni ??
Depends on your uni decision. But I can't imagine they'd allow you to retake an entire years exams without further tuition... most people would fail if they didn't have the knowledge first time around. You'd probably have to retake the year with tuition too. If you took a leave of absence thrn you would just leave for a year then come back and start studying again when you've dealt with whatever problems you have now.
Reply 9
Ok interesting
Thankyou do much for all your advice.
Original post by doodle_333
Depends on your uni decision. But I can't imagine they'd allow you to retake an entire years exams without further tuition... most people would fail if they didn't have the knowledge first time around. You'd probably have to retake the year with tuition too. If you took a leave of absence thrn you would just leave for a year then come back and start studying again when you've dealt with whatever problems you have now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending