The Student Room Group

PIP advice please

I im the process of being diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome after years of horrific pain. I had a telephone PIP assessment (that apparently I consented to, but I was not given an option for an in person one) in November that lasted only 35 minutes, with a paramedic who wouldn’t have had any idea about chronic illness and the problems I face. In the report they have scored me zero for everything, despite my forms and evidence showing I have difficulties in walking, am in constant pain and need to be able to pay for medication, supports and mobility aids, because this apparently wasn’t evident in my assessment (over the phone!!). I requested a mandatory reconsideration where they made the same decision, but no new report was made, and they didn’t contact me to ask any questions regarding new information and there is no evidence of any of the update I reported over the phone. I feel like this is a blatant attempt to just bin my claim and now that i am going to appeal, what can I do to make sure they take me seriously?

I feel like it might be worth pointing out that I have a friend who already gets PIP for EDS who is able to do much more than me, like walking to the beach and going partying. In no way am I saying she doesn’t deserve it, but she will say that if she can get it, I definitely should. And if pip is getting refused to people who can show that they struggle more (she has said this herself, I am not assuming), that shows what a mess the system is!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
I think a high % of appeals are allowed so I would definitely appeal but strongly advise that you get help with it.
Did you have any help from a Benefits Advisor filling out the orignal application form? I would go back to them if you did, and if you didn't I strongly recommend finding one to help you.
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
I think a high % of appeals are allowed so I would definitely appeal but strongly advise that you get help with it.
Did you have any help from a Benefits Advisor filling out the orignal application form? I would go back to them if you did, and if you didn't I strongly recommend finding one to help you.
I didn’t because I had just turned 18 and was navigating everything on my own - i reckon thats part of the reason it didn’t go through. I am going to go to my towns citizen advice to ask for recommendations and now have a friend whose mum works in courts so knows the process a bit better than I do.
I'm not a 100% sure as it might be because you hadn't got the diagnosis yet and they even though you weren't were making it up but maybe with the paper work and doctors letters hopefully it will be more useful

Quick Reply

Latest