The Student Room Group

I want to convert to Christianity

Scroll to see replies

Verily, those who disbelieve, it is the same whether you warn them or do not warn them, they will not believe.

Pretty great line, I try and stand by it but it's pretty difficult
I don't want you to convert plant man, you do whatever you want. You don't have to see Islam the way I see it
But at least try and understand where I'm coming from.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
But he obviously didn't, Zayn. The Biblical god doesn't tell people to pray 5 times a day and so on. Besides, I'm not talking about a scripture that may or may not have changed, I'm talking about how the gods are actually believed in, now. And they're undeniably different.

The reasons are irrelevant, the point still stands that they're different gods with different functions and purposes.

The overwhelming majority of branches believe Jesus is God, just as the overwhelming majority of Islamic branches believe Muhammad is the last messenger of Allah.

I'm afraid you're not, the two gods are hugely distinct and I have already demonstrated this with theological evidence. You have provided no evidence they're the same, you're doing the intellectual equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming "la, la, la, la" every time I highlight the differing commands and expectations between Allah and Yahweh.

Nothing wrong with pointing out flaws in beliefs.

Never said there wasn't a difference, where you're erring is thinking I can't engage in both if I want to.

She can talk about it all she likes, doesn't mean the errors aren't still there, which they are and which I've highlighted.

But the Quran is supposed to be 100% relevant to all times and people, not just to certain situations in the past so you're contradicting yourself in the same breath.

You're again talking about something I didn't say. I never claimed all Buddhists (people) are peaceful, I was strictly talking about the ideology of Buddhism.

Maybe do some reading on it then :wink:

So you just assumed all religions go against my ideals then? Not disliking all religions isn't the same as liking any particular one so much that I want to convert to it. That's basic logic, Zayn. The only one who has been shown to be a liar here is you, who has been unable to back up your claims about what I've said :lol:

And "Plantagenet" comes from "planta genista" which is a type of plant :biggrin:
Wow! What a journey! I suggest you start reading 1 John 4:18, Ecclesiastes 3:11 and Philippians 3:13-14. Download the Bible app and start reading the plans that they offer you. It doesn’t make you a bad Christian to miss out on church a few times as long as it doesn’t become a habit and you can always ask God for forgiveness if you made a mistake. Don’t forget to pray as much as possible. Try and get involved with the youth group at your local church and go to Bible study if you can. Good luck and welcome to the family.:h:
Original post by SlipperyWizard
Sorry in advance if this gets too long, currently 1am in the morning & my brain won’t shut off, so here we go I guess; I’m a 15 year old British Muslim born in Sheffield, my late mother was also a Muslim, born in Lahore, Pakistan, unfortunately she passed away when I was 13. My father was an atheist, but converted to Islam to be with my mother, unfortunately he too died when I was 8 years old, fighting in Afghanistan (operation Herrick) he was one of the many Royal Marines sent there for Aid, I now live with my mothers side of the family, as nobody knows anything about my dads side of the family and nobody’s ever met my dads parents or siblings if he even has any 🤷*♂️, What I really wanted to say today was that, I’ve been through hell for most of my life , moving from here to there, getting involved with drugs, alcohol & gangs, but not so long ago my cousin & her husband took me in (which I highly appreciate) and moved to Manchester, I’ve had a lot of time to think & ultimately, I started wondering if Islam is really what I believe in and what my parents would think if i decided otherwise, but I’ve decided that, really, it’s my life & i want to live it to its fullest and believe what I have faith in, I’ve read a lot about Christianity, I secretly went to church to see what it’s like, I cannot express in words what I felt the first time I prayed to god in church, i suddenly felt a strong bond, almost like a connection. From that moment onwards I knew I wanted to be a Christian, it all just makes sense to me, and I believe Jesus Christ guided me to him, and showed me the light. Now this all may sound very wonderful and glorious, but now the only problem I face is telling my auntie and my cousin, which are all very very religious Muslims, and always tell me stuff like ‘when you grow up we will take you to umra, then we will move back to our home country (Pakistan)’ I always get uncomfortable and anxious when they say that, as frankly I really do not want to move to Pakistan, like ever, I was born on British soil & I hope to die on british soil, but I just don’t have enough courage to say that to them, never mind tell them that I no longer want to follow Islam, I couldn’t bare to think what their reaction would be 😬 I honestly don’t know what to do ... don’t know if this would help but I’m thinking of joining the royal marine commandos as soon as I turn 18, I’m already physically fit & my mind has been through enough to have the ‘state of mind’, I tried talking to my cousin about this and she Freaked out, saying stuff like she will never let me end up like my farther, and that if I am going to join she will never let me join the British armed forces, she will only let me join the Pakistani armed forces, why on earth would I spend all my life in britain, then decide to fight for a completely different country ? That makes

no sense to me. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Thomas.
Sure. 😂
Original post by syrup!
this is real bangla not ur btec kind :rofl:

Tumi - You?
Mittah - Sweet/Sugary? Erase?
Bolcho - Forgotten? Lost?

I can't be that far off. Does it just mean 'You have forgotten'? 😂
Original post by Dunya
Lmfaoooo 😂😂 How can you get it that wrong? Try again :biggrin:

Guess khor :hahaha:
Original post by xxlaila03xx
It is the same God they just view him differently.

But it isn't the same god, as I have explained already multiple times.

The Bible was changed to claim that God's commands were different, but the God Himself did not change.

You have no evidence whatsoever that the Bible contained all the same commands and doctrine as the Quran and hadith, which then mysteriously just disappeared. So just as with your previous claims not backed up by evidence, they can be dismissed.

The God is the same in all the Abrahamic religions, I can assure you of that. The 'evidence' you have provided me with is just a different interpretation of the same God. The God is the same, but what people believe He told them to do is different, that's why there's different religions. I think I know what I'm talking about :wink:

No it isn't. While the religions share many similarities, the deities are decidedly different. Given they command and expect different things, they can't be identical, by definition. It's the most fundamental characteristics of the deities that's wildly different, not some minor, irrelevant detail.

Engage in both, but at least be honest about it the first time, no need to fake innocence plant man.

Look, I'm not psychic. If you quote a specific snippet of a conversation and accuse me of belittling Islam, then I'm going to tell you that no mocking occurred in that conversation, simple.

There are no errors in my opinion, but you believe what you want to believe :smile:

I'm afraid your opinion is irrelevant on the issue. If Islam says X and the evidence shows X as demonstrably untrue then it's an error, whether you accept it or not.

Not contradicting myself. There are some lines in the Quran that refer to issues needed to be dealt with at the time. Since we don't come across those issues we don't need to implement those lines.

The Quran contains violence and torture, and as it's supposed to be the guide for all humanity, those things must still apply now. An apt example of that is 5:33, where Ibn Kathir's tafsir confirms that the punishment of those who "wage war" against Allah, which he says includes simply disbelieving in Islam, is death. That has no place in today's world.

Also love how you ignore all the lines that make Islam look good but focus on the ones that you can twist the meaning of to appeal to you.
A religion can't be all bad but that is exactly what you're saying.

The good parts of Islam are almost exclusively reserved for those who are Muslim or submit to Islamic rule. Little else than hatred and contempt is reserved for non-Muslims in the Quran. The little good there may be does not excuse the bad.

The ideology of Islam is peaceful too, that is what I was getting at, even a donkey could understand that.

Some bits, but as just explained, mostly just for Muslims and those subjected to Islamic rule. The Quran goes into gruesome and unacceptable detail about how anyone who doesn't believe in Islam will be tortured and mutilated.

Nah, religions all have the same ideas in the end, if put simply.

They clearly don't. Religions have wildly different beliefs and practices, and if you had done the most basic research on any faith other then Islam you'd know this.

I am not a liar like you habibi, please point out my lies

You claimed I said I hated all religions. Given you've been unable to provide evidence for this, we must come to the conclusion it was a lie.

Never said Plantagenet wasn't a plant, but you said I got your nickname from your profile picture which I did not.
plant man is more creative than Zayn at least :wink:
you are a plant man whilst I am no Zayn

Getting a nickname from someone's username is no more creative than getting it from someone's profile picture. If I'm a plant man then you're a Zayn :biggrin:
Original post by xxlaila03xx
Verily, those who disbelieve, it is the same whether you warn them or do not warn them, they will not believe.

Pretty great line, I try and stand by it but it's pretty difficult

Actually, it's a pretty awful line, coupled with the one about Allah setting a seal on the hearts of disbelievers, merely confirming that it's him who stops people from converting and so makes his punishment all the more unjust and insane.

I don't want you to convert plant man, you do whatever you want. You don't have to see Islam the way I see it
But at least try and understand where I'm coming from.

Oh, and I'd never want to convert, Zayn :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Na amrar ta aroh bala 100%
Original post by 95000
Sure. 😂

Tumi - You?

Tumi mittah bolcho = You've told a lie/Misamatreh but I think I like your version better 😂😂
It is the same God. Allah sent down the Bible, the Torah, the Zabur and the Quran.
My evidence is in the Quran which I believe is all true, if you don't that's not relevant here now is it :wink:

Didn't mysteriously disappear. Look at the Old Testament. Very similar to the Quran.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you said plant man, but you can't blame me. You're the one who gave me that impresssion.

But it doesn't say anything wrong.
Also please try and understand this concept
Let's say Islam is the correct religion right and Allah is our superior?
Well, wouldn't it make sense to punish the people who went against Him? As unjust as it may sound to you. If Allah is our superior then we must obey him, if we do not we will get punished. Call it harsh, but Allah did not have to create you, this life is just a test. Your opinion btw is irrelevant here also, just try and understand this concept without putting in your own views for once.

Also you love to say how an all knowing deity can not perform tests, don't you?
The idea is not that you will be tested and Allah will not know the outcome. If Allah yeeted you into hell, you'd say 'you never gave me a chance to prove I would obey or not'. The test is for you prove what choices you will make in Dunya. Allah gave you Dunya as your heaven whilst making it the believers 'hell' let's say. Then you will go to Hell and we (may) go to Heaven. If we are wrong in the end, at least we know we lived a good life here on Earth.

We are told to leave the disbelievers alone, I already gave you that line.

I remember you saying you find all religions disgusting but I may be wrong (although it really does sound like something you'd say)

No one stops you from converting but yourself. If Allah saw any good in you, He would guide you to the correct path.

Nah at least I changed something around, you know, added an extra word in there, shortened another. You just used the first name of my old profile picture. I was more creative than you :smile:

Good plant man
I like arguing with you :wink:

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
But it isn't the same god, as I have explained already multiple times.

You have no evidence whatsoever that the Bible contained all the same commands and doctrine as the Quran and hadith, which then mysteriously just disappeared. So just as with your previous claims not backed up by evidence, they can be dismissed.

No it isn't. While the religions share many similarities, the deities are decidedly different. Given they command and expect different things, they can't be identical, by definition. It's the most fundamental characteristics of the deities that's wildly different, not some minor, irrelevant detail.

Look, I'm not psychic. If you quote a specific snippet of a conversation and accuse me of belittling Islam, then I'm going to tell you that no mocking occurred in that conversation, simple.

I'm afraid your opinion is irrelevant on the issue. If Islam says X and the evidence shows X as demonstrably untrue then it's an error, whether you accept it or not.

The Quran contains violence and torture, and as it's supposed to be the guide for all humanity, those things must still apply now. An apt example of that is 5:33, where Ibn Kathir's tafsir confirms that the punishment of those who "wage war" against Allah, which he says includes simply disbelieving in Islam, is death. That has no place in today's world.

The good parts of Islam are almost exclusively reserved for those who are Muslim or submit to Islamic rule. Little else than hatred and contempt is reserved for non-Muslims in the Quran. The little good there may be does not excuse the bad.

Some bits, but as just explained, mostly just for Muslims and those subjected to Islamic rule. The Quran goes into gruesome and unacceptable detail about how anyone who doesn't believe in Islam will be tortured and mutilated.

They clearly don't. Religions have wildly different beliefs and practices, and if you had done the most basic research on any faith other then Islam you'd know this.

You claimed I said I hated all religions. Given you've been unable to provide evidence for this, we must come to the conclusion it was a lie.

Getting a nickname from someone's username is no more creative than getting it from someone's profile picture. If I'm a plant man then you're a Zayn :biggrin:

Actually, it's a pretty awful line, coupled with the one about Allah setting a seal on the hearts of disbelievers, merely confirming that it's him who stops people from converting and so makes his punishment all the more unjust and insane.

Oh, and I'd never want to convert, Zayn :biggrin:
nahhhh amader shobche bhalo shunte laage
Original post by Dunya
Na amrar ta aroh bala 100%

Tumi mittah bolcho = You've told a lie/Misamatreh but I think I like your version better 😂😂

unseasoned uncultured child
Original post by 95000
Sure. 😂

Tumi - You?

So the wonderful diverse vibrant communities here would rather fight for a foreign country than the UK. And they say diversity is a strength lol
Na shuddho basha is too formal. 'amader' eee

Sylheti is more banterous :biggrin:
Original post by syrup!
nahhhh amader shobche bhalo shunte laage

unseasoned uncultured child

That I agree with.
nahhh shubho bangla pulls more gyally
sylheti sounds poor heheheheh
Original post by Dunya
Na shuddho basha is too formal. 'amader' eee

Sylheti is more banterous :biggrin:

That I agree with.
Original post by -Quava-
At this moment in time, he is a Muslim.
Yes, he has doubts and a low imaan but my brother is still a Muslim and he still considers himself one so I will to.

claiming to be Muslim/calling yourself Muslim is not an impediment of takfir
Allah is forgiving. That is what we believe in Islam.
I believe God has forgiven me for my doubts when my imaan was low as with OP.
So, stop complicating the issue. :rolleyes:
Original post by verycoolperson
claiming to be Muslim/calling yourself Muslim is not an impediment of takfir
Original post by -Quava-

Ouhff Quava 😍😍😍
I try :u:
Original post by Sandhu11
Ouhff Quava 😍😍😍
faith without action is dead
Original post by -Quava-
Alhamdullilah, things have changed since then.
I am more of an action type person than a talker and I have gotten in to the habit of reading my prayers on time and reciting qur'aan whenever I can. :h:

I asked God for forgiveness as soon as I began praying and I truly believe He is merciful and forgiving and I hope my actions now can make up for my doubts and thoughts back when I was not practicing.
Original post by UrWelcome
faith without action is dead
(edited 4 years ago)
mA ^_^
Original post by -Quava-
Alhamdullilah, things have changed since then.
I am more of an action type person than a talker and I have gotten in to the habit of reading my prayers on time and reciting qur'aan whenever I can. :h:

I asked God for forgiveness as soon as I began praying and I truly believe He is merciful and forgiving and I hope my actions now can make up for my doubts and thoughts back when I was not practicing.
i live near manchester, meet up with me i know a few molvi that are genuinely good people and aren't too pushy. ill ask them to introduce u to islam. do not become a christian stay with islam i promise you it is a much better choice. go to pakistan but do not join their army stick to british armed forces instead.also you could try and find good molvi that can teach you and stuff in manchester
Original post by SlipperyWizard
Sorry in advance if this gets too long, currently 1am in the morning & my brain won’t shut off, so here we go I guess; I’m a 15 year old British Muslim born in Sheffield, my late mother was also a Muslim, born in Lahore, Pakistan, unfortunately she passed away when I was 13. My father was an atheist, but converted to Islam to be with my mother, unfortunately he too died when I was 8 years old, fighting in Afghanistan (operation Herrick) he was one of the many Royal Marines sent there for Aid, I now live with my mothers side of the family, as nobody knows anything about my dads side of the family and nobody’s ever met my dads parents or siblings if he even has any 🤷*♂️, What I really wanted to say today was that, I’ve been through hell for most of my life , moving from here to there, getting involved with drugs, alcohol & gangs, but not so long ago my cousin & her husband took me in (which I highly appreciate) and moved to Manchester, I’ve had a lot of time to think & ultimately, I started wondering if Islam is really what I believe in and what my parents would think if i decided otherwise, but I’ve decided that, really, it’s my life & i want to live it to its fullest and believe what I have faith in, I’ve read a lot about Christianity, I secretly went to church to see what it’s like, I cannot express in words what I felt the first time I prayed to god in church, i suddenly felt a strong bond, almost like a connection. From that moment onwards I knew I wanted to be a Christian, it all just makes sense to me, and I believe Jesus Christ guided me to him, and showed me the light. Now this all may sound very wonderful and glorious, but now the only problem I face is telling my auntie and my cousin, which are all very very religious Muslims, and always tell me stuff like ‘when you grow up we will take you to umra, then we will move back to our home country (Pakistan)’ I always get uncomfortable and anxious when they say that, as frankly I really do not want to move to Pakistan, like ever, I was born on British soil & I hope to die on british soil, but I just don’t have enough courage to say that to them, never mind tell them that I no longer want to follow Islam, I couldn’t bare to think what their reaction would be 😬 I honestly don’t know what to do ... don’t know if this would help but I’m thinking of joining the royal marine commandos as soon as I turn 18, I’m already physically fit & my mind has been through enough to have the ‘state of mind’, I tried talking to my cousin about this and she Freaked out, saying stuff like she will never let me end up like my farther, and that if I am going to join she will never let me join the British armed forces, she will only let me join the Pakistani armed forces, why on earth would I spend all my life in britain, then decide to fight for a completely different country ? That makes

no sense to me. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Thomas.
Honestly OP, you sound like a smart person. If your seriously having doubts call on God (yes God not specifically Allah or Jesus) with sincerity and he will make things easy for you. Don’t worry about people whether that’s your family or TSR or the rest of the world. Just take a step back and ask your Maker for help with sincerity. X
Original post by Exodus591
i live near manchester, meet up with me i know a few molvi that are genuinely good people and aren't too pushy. ill ask them to introduce u to islam. do not become a christian stay with islam i promise you it is a much better choice. go to pakistan but do not join their army stick to british armed forces instead.also you could try and find good molvi that can teach you and stuff in manchester

LOL, OP do not trust this guy. Actually no body should trust him. Dude, you come off as way too desperate, let OP live their own life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending