The Student Room Group

Can I actually take up a language in uni?

I’m studying psychology as a degree and I’ll be off to second year in a couple months. I was wondering (because some people said it’s possible) that you could take up a language while doing your degree. Is it possible or do I need a specific degree to study a specific language?
Yes, it is sometimes possible.
My friend did a business degree, couldn't understand any foreign languages when she started uni and learned russian in her first year.
Seven years later she is now fluent in russian, hindi and chinese mandarin.
Why not just do evening classes?
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
My friend did a business degree, couldn't understand any foreign languages when she started uni and learned russian in her first year.

Woahh, how did she study the language? I’m struggling to study korean. What I meant is, can you do it at university?
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
Why not just do evening classes?

I thought about it but I don’t even know anything about the language I want. Would i be able to manage both uni studies and evening classes?
It depends on the university. Many universities do give language lessons but they don't have to and may have a limited number of languages they can teach.
Original post by Anonymous
I thought about it but I don’t even know anything about the language I want. Would i be able to manage both uni studies and evening classes?

Well that's the purpose of going to classes, isn't it? :smile: Loads of people I know went to evening classes and managed just fine.
Woahh, how did she study the language? I’m struggling to study korean. What I meant is, can you do it at university?

Yes.
The uni ran free classes, many unis do this.
Reply 8
Yes.
The uni ran free classes, many unis do this.

Ah thanks! I’ll call my university up to see if they do it. I hope they do!
Depends on your timetable and how well you can manage it in my opinion. I am doing a course that allows me to have a great deal of control over my time so in my case, yes, it is possible. I'm learning Japanese by the way.
Original post by Zerco
Depends on your timetable and how well you can manage it in my opinion. I am doing a course that allows me to have a great deal of control over my time so in my case, yes, it is possible. I'm learning Japanese by the way.

Woah I envy you. So my time table last year was go in 3 time a week and only stayed at uni for 5hrs. So Its really not that bad. Who did you ask?
Woah I envy you. So my time table last year was go in 3 time a week and only stayed at uni for 5hrs. So Its really not that bad. Who did you ask?

We have free language sessions at our uni that are first-come-first-serve, if that's what you are asking. :smile: You get a certificate at the end of the year too.
Original post by Zerco
We have free language sessions at our uni that are first-come-first-serve, if that's what you are asking. :smile: You get a certificate at the end of the year too.

Omggg!! I hope my uni does that. It’ll be so sad if it doesn’t. How do they teach you the language btw?
My uni offered language lessons, and also the opportunity to chose learning a language as a module in the second year - even as a beginner.
So I just checked and 1) they only do mandarine and 2) 20 quid an hour

Did she come to China?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending