The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This paper is making me feel sick, I never use the key words the questions are looking for and have no essay practice.
Wasn't there an essay question about microscopes once, wtf if I got that in the exam I think I'd hulk out.
Reply 41
I dont get how they expect us to revise for section B...its wayyy to synoptic wed have to go over everything weve ever had to learn! im just guna do exam practice nd hope thats alright. same with the essays.

anyone got told topics that might come up?
Reply 42
I am going to hate this exam so so much. I can only hope we get a nice general thing for the essay. In my mock it was on muscle function and I did very badly.
Reply 43
I really hope we get a general question in which the spectrum is huge and could use a lot of examples. But I don't think we will be that lucky enough though.
I just did a Module 8 past paper....without books and shmizzle....88%!
Reply 45
How do you know what mark you got for the essay?
I didn't do the essay bit, sorry lol, just did the section A...
This has got to be easier after the horror of module 6, that being said it could be just as hard if AQA are being evil this year. We can pray for low grade boundaries I guess?

Some of the stuff on synoptics is drilled into us since day 1, like enzymes are not something you exactly need to revise.

My favourite two essays so far have been 'Bacteria and there affects on humans and other organisms (excluding diseases)' and 'Carbon Dioxide and its importnace in biology'

One leads into the cycles, genetic engineering, ruminant digestion etc. as well as work on Kingdoms and you could talk about them simply being part of the food chain. Photosynthesis as well as some are autotrophs.

The other, photosynthesis, respiration (aerobic and anaeroibc in plants), carbon cycle, transport of gases, global warming and deforrestation as a final note?
Reply 48
what can you write for an essay on temperature?

I've got - effect of it on enzymes and tmperature control within the body...apart from that I'm stuck!
natural selection (how animals able to survive in a wider range of temperatures survive to pass on characterstics), transpiration and water loss in plants?

Tricky one that
Reply 50
Homeostasis, hypothalmus heat centre etc. Vasodilation, temperature in ectotherms + endotherms. Plants and transpiration (that could be quite a good paragraph).
Reply 51
hello fellow suffering synoptic people! found this website: http://biologylessons.net/files/SynopticEssays/SynopticEssays.html
has some example of synoptic essays, how to plan them etc... i've found it quite useful.

going to completely fail the essay though, even when i put a lot of things in still seem to get crap marks...meh

how long are the essays meant to be?
eeeek.... I want to die! This paper sucks... and I can't find any like general advice about the essay... the mark scheme is RUBBISH!!!
loads of people mentioned about covering five topics - are u using the rule of five? coz i dont have a clue how to use it and dont know why we cant just write whatever we can think based on the title??
Reply 54
what someone said a while back about AQA recycling questions this year due to the new course, that wont happen. reason being that exam papers are apparantly written 3 years in advance so this one now would have been prepared a while back. this is what my head of year/head of biology tells me anyway. and obviously the papers that have been written ahead of their time for the year after next will obviously not be necessary.

a question on hormones would be fit! i just hope that comes up.

and another thing which annoys me about this synoptic module and the essay is that anyone who has resat an exam is at an immediate advantage...and that annoys me. mainly because i did all the resits i needed in january in order to have a free summer to concentrate on these exams but other buggers who have just done resits have a significant advantage in knowledge over the likes of me...
Reply 55
have hormones ever come up before?
Reply 56
Jonny_168
have hormones ever come up before?

nope I don't think so, but my teacher has predicted some titles based on :

Mutation
Temperature
Cell Division
Populations
Sensitivity
Communication
Ageing
Shape and Form
Metabolism
Balance/Equilibrium

Which isn't great because they're all pretty tricky! I hope they ask an essay on hormones too, that would be a god send.
how's everyone finding the actual content stuff for mod 8 ?
Reply 58
Hormones:
Digestive ones: Secretin, Gastrin, CCK-PZ
Ovulation: FSH, LH, Oestrogen, Progesterone
Respiration: CoA,NAD any others?
Photosynthesis: RuBP*something*, NADP (i don't know the name of this hormone anyone?)
Hormone recogntion: glycoproteins on the cell membrane
Water Regulation: ADH

Anything else? We don't actually cover what hormones are made from do we?
Reply 59
If we get a question on cell mutations, I will jump for joy =]] That would be my ultimate

Latest

Trending

Trending