The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
I think I have actually given up.
Given up on everything here.

Biology has been a joke for me these past two years - either down to teaching (this year) or by personal problems (last year).

I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow... At all...
• Lipids (the only unit 1 nutrient not yet done)
Metabolism
Bile
Lipase
Micelles
Chylomicrons
Phospholipid Bilayer
Triglycerides

biological molecules are related to their functions
heamoglobin
enzyme substrate complexes
keratin and cellulose fibres.... hair etc
dna with its phosphate backbone, and the bases being complementary
epithelial cells
protein channels
Specific receptor sites on lymphocytes

SA:vol
•

Hormones
Ovulation: FSH, LH, Oestrogen, Progesterone
Hormone recogntion: glycoproteins on the cell membrane
Water Regulation: ADH
Insulin/Glucagon.- regulating the blood concentration
ADH- controls the permeability of the collecting duct in the kidneys
Gastrin/Secretin/CCK-PZ- whole range of hormones that affects the disgestive system-
Oestrogen/Progesterone- From Module 2.
Adrenaline/Noradrenaline-one's sympathetic/other's parasympathetic- so bringing in neurones

Gaseous exchange

•

Genetic engineering

•

Stimulus/response
•

Active movement across the membrane

Lets go over SA/VOL
Reply 142
i dont think anyone is chicken
Reply 143
for biological molecules related to their function, I assume you could also talk about how cells and cell organelles are related to their functions

Therefore you have chloroplasts, mitochondria, Gametes etc.
Reply 144
what would you say for the essay title 'the functions of mineral ions in plants and animals'

i dont know why im stumped, im probably just letting the stress get to me :s
Reply 145
chrisg
for biological molecules related to their function, I assume you could also talk about how cells and cell organelles are related to their functions

Therefore you have chloroplasts, mitochondria, Gametes etc.

But organelles aren't really "molecules" in that sense are they? I reckon you could talk about all the hormones and how they fit to a specific receptor site etc. Protein channels in neurones! That would be a lot. Protein synthesis. Protein shape. Then the enzymes in respiration + photosynthesis. NADP + NADH are enzymes right?
Reply 146
If something came up on the essay to do with proteins I would love it. If somethings came up with 'how things move across cells' (you know what I mean), I'd be fine. Can talk about most things there I think (not sure with module 2, would have to read over it quickly). I can't remember anything for mod 3 and I've got all of mod 8 AND the geography to do tomorrow. I have no strenth & no will to do it haha.

Gosh I sound like a little moaner. I'm not, not really but I'm just losing faith. Please tell me everyone is worried?
Reply 147
sheena18
what would you say for the essay title 'the functions of mineral ions in plants and animals'

i dont know why im stumped, im probably just letting the stress get to me :s

Plants:
Potassium ions in the stomata
Nitrates for protein synthesis and growth
Phosphates for ATP, nucleic acid synthesis etc

Animals:
Sodium ions in the absorption of products of digestion
Sodium ions in the loop of Henle of the kidney
Sodium and potassium ions in the transmission of nerve impulses
Calcium ions in the synapse
Chloride ions in the red blood cell

Edit: Also, phosphates in DNA!
rachell_
If something came up on the essay to do with proteins I would love it. If somethings came up with 'how things move across cells' (you know what I mean), I'd be fine. Can talk about most things there I think (not sure with module 2, would have to read over it quickly). I can't remember anything for mod 3 and I've got all of mod 8 AND the geography to do tomorrow. I have no strenth & no will to do it haha.

Gosh I sound like a little moaner. I'm not, not really but I'm just losing faith. Please tell me everyone is worried?

no the feeling, i am panicking so much bout this exam, have no faith, very worried....also moaning lots, very very scared!!!
Reply 149
Joe555
NADP + NADH are enzymes right?

No...they are coenzymes! Unlike enzymes, they aren't proteins.
Reply 150
Ali_
No...they are coenzymes! Unlike enzymes, they aren't proteins.

If you had a question on enzymes though, could you use NAD + NADP because they are at least co-enzymes?
Reply 151
If there was any question to do with plants... I would quite literally die haha.

It just reminds me of module 3 and the mass flow ... thing... that I don't remember haha.
what would u write for surface area to volume???
Reply 153
asadwaheed
what would u write for surface area to volume???

Small intestine absorbtion, mirco villi etc., stomata increase surface area for diffusion for photosynthesis, roots in xerophytes, lungs + aveoli, ADH + re-absorbtion of water, digestion of proteins + lipids (bile etc.), Gas exchange of oxygen
ooh yeahhh
Reply 155
Ah, I am ****ed.
what would u write about genetic engineering?
like how would u spread it across different modules to get breadth marks?
Reply 157
Ali_
Plants:
Potassium ions in the stomata
Nitrates for protein synthesis and growth
Phosphates for ATP, nucleic acid synthesis etc

Animals:
Sodium ions in the absorption of products of digestion
Sodium ions in the loop of Henle of the kidney
Sodium and potassium ions in the transmission of nerve impulses
Calcium ions in the synapse
Chloride ions in the red blood cell

Edit: Also, phosphates in DNA!

ali thanks so so much :smile:
how do you remember all the content, bcause you were able to pick out specific things very well, and i know all of the stuff you said, but just wouldnt think to pick them out of everything that i crammed in?
Reply 158
asadwaheed
what would u write about genetic engineering?
like how would u spread it across different modules to get breadth marks?

You would either do:
a). Rip up your exam paper whilst saying "****** this sh**"
b). Cry
c). choose a different question

But i really don't think it will be genetic engineernig....
Reply 159
sheena18
ali thanks so so much :smile:
how do you remember all the content, bcause you were able to pick out specific things very well, and i know all of the stuff you said, but just wouldnt think to pick them out of everything that i crammed in?

No problem...
Different things work for different people, but what I would do is break the question up... there's the key word "ion", where instantly stuff like sodium, potassium, nitrates etc spring to mind, then its just a matter of linking them to both plants and animals...going through each individually to make sure that you cover as many topics as possible and get the 'breadth' marks :cool:

I find spider diagrams useful, but that might just be me...

Latest

Trending

Trending