The Student Room Group

Volunteering for the NHS

Hi, I'm not sure what forum to put it in, so I've put it into this one.

But my question is, I want to volunteer for the NHS, for my Gold Duke of Edinburgh Volunteering section and for my Personal statement for Uni, I'm thinking of applying in September time so I can ease into school first, I just wanted to know if anyone has volunteered or is still currently volunteering and what is it like?
Original post by SteveWaters

But my question is, I want to volunteer for the NHS, for my Gold Duke of Edinburgh Volunteering section and for my Personal statement for Uni, I'm thinking of applying in September time so I can ease into school first, I just wanted to know if anyone has volunteered or is still currently volunteering and what is it like?

Hi, I've just been accepted for a volunteering job at my local hospital for an emergency department helper. Just waiting on a start date as all my check have been passed, but should be this week.

I would advise you to start looking for volunteering openings. I applied for this position in mid June and I havent even started yet. also alot of hospitals only have a certain amount of openings per year & its quite competitive, so best to be prepared.

If you arent looking for hospital volunteering then I'm afraid I'm not much help on the subject.
And I am looking for hospital volunteering :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jassam17
Hi, I've just been accepted for a volunteering job at my local hospital for an emergency department helper. Just waiting on a start date as all my check have been passed, but should be this week.

I would advise you to start looking for volunteering openings. I applied for this position in mid June and I havent even started yet. also alot of hospitals only have a certain amount of openings per year & its quite competitive, so best to be prepared.

If you arent looking for hospital volunteering then I'm afraid I'm not much help on the subject.

Hey, I actually am looking for hospital volunteering, I actually emailed around a month ago and they replied by saying that the under 25's volunteering programme is undergoing some changes and will open back up again in September time :frown:
oh, that's a shame. But at least you know it will be starting up next month.

I'm in a different boat from you, I'm older than 25
(edited 4 years ago)

Ah, maybe it might be a it easier for me to get in as I am younger? Because most people will be in school I guess?🤷*♀️ I want to volunteer on the weekend since I am a full time school student.
Do you know what the under 25s do by any chance?

sorry, hit send before I finished...

anyway, I'm going to be applying to graduate entry medicine 2020 so I need some experience in a hospital environment. But it will also be nice to give a bit back to the local hospital too.

Are you looking at going down the medicine route?
sorry, hit send before I finished...

anyway, I'm going to be applying to graduate entry medicine 2020 so I need some experience in a hospital environment. But it will also be nice to give a bit back to the local hospital too.

Are you looking at going down the medicine route?

Yeah I want to get into medical school, so I'm trying to get as much volunteering and work experience in as I can!! I'm currently in 5th year and I'll be staying on till 6th year, so I'll be applying in 2021 :smile:
Ah, maybe it might be a it easier for me to get in as I am younger? Because most people will be in school I guess?🤷*♀️ I want to volunteer on the weekend since I am a full time school student.
Do you know what the under 25s do by any chance?

I don't think they are overly fussed about age to be honest, that's the vibe I got from them. it's more if you are suited to the position you've applied for.

Apparently there are people of all ages volunteering where I am going. as long as you are older than 16, healthy & have no criminal record there should be no issue.

I'm really not sure what under 25s do, I suppose it would vary from hospital to hospital. I dont imagine it would be that different to what over 25s do. but who knows, will be good to get back in touch with your local hospital in September once the program has been adjusted:smile:
Yeah I want to get into medical school, so I'm trying to get as much volunteering and work experience in as I can!! I'm currently in 5th year and I'll be staying on till 6th year, so I'll be applying in 2021 :smile:

your talking about 5th and 6th year, so I assume you are in scotland? (that's where I grew up)

Good luck with all your highers! you seem to be organised with the volunteering early so I'm sure you will do great!
I don't think they are overly fussed about age to be honest, that's the vibe I got from them. it's more if you are suited to the position you've applied for.

Apparently there are people of all ages volunteering where I am going. as long as you are older than 16, healthy & have no criminal record there should be no issue.

I'm really not sure what under 25s do, I suppose it would vary from hospital to hospital. I dont imagine it would be that different to what over 25s do. but who knows, will be good to get back in touch with your local hospital in September once the program has been adjusted:smile:

Thank you! That really helped! I've scheduled an email to send around halfway through September time incase I forget!
your talking about 5th and 6th year, so I assume you are in scotland? (that's where I grew up)

Good luck with all your highers! you seem to be organised with the volunteering early so I'm sure you will do great!

Yeah I'm in Scotland!! Are you in England?
Hopefully fingers crossed! I did really well in my National 5's so hopefully that can continue :smile:
Yeah I'm in Scotland!! Are you in England?
Hopefully fingers crossed! I did really well in my National 5's so hopefully that can continue :smile:

Yeah, I live not too far from London. so I'll be applying to Kings & Barts uni.

stay in Scotland for uni, one MASSIVE downside about not living in Scotland any more is the free education 😭 my debt is gonna be insane!
Yeah, I live not too far from London. so I'll be applying to Kings & Barts uni.

stay in Scotland for uni, one MASSIVE downside about not living in Scotland any more is the free education 😭 my debt is gonna be insane!

Yeah I'm planning to stay in Scotland, it'll be so much easier!!

:wavey: Just moved this to the volunteering forum for you :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
:wavey: Just moved this to the volunteering forum for you :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending