Will my teachers give me a good reference if i have got bad a level grades Watch

amber2106
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Long story short the last two years of alevels have been the worst of my life i was dealing with some personal issues which resulted in me only being able to do 2 a levels instead of 3 which was heartbreaking because i really wanted to go into a a decent uni. My teachers also did not like me much and honestly were quite discouraging and degrading towards me throughout the two years of me being there. My grades did suffer massively but im just starting my gap year and want to use this time to change myself and my grades and retake my alevels which i know are going to be bad.
**My question is will my teachers write me a decent reference if my alevel grades are bad**
How do i change their mind.
Any help would really be appreciated .
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by amber2106)
Long story short the last two years of alevels have been the worst of my life i was dealing with some personal issues which resulted in me only being able to do 2 a levels instead of 3 which was heartbreaking because i really wanted to go into a a decent uni. My teachers also did not like me much and honestly were quite discouraging and degrading towards me throughout the two years of me being there. My grades did suffer massively but im just starting my gap year and want to use this time to change myself and my grades and retake my alevels which i know are going to be bad.
**My question is will my teachers write me a decent reference if my alevel grades are bad**
Good grades do not equal a good reference (i.e someone could be gifted in a subject but not work hard or have a good attitude to studying). Likewise, bad grades does not equal a bad reference, because you could work hard and have a good attitude to learning but be having a hard time and/or have difficulties with retaining information etc, or even not be good at exams but good at course work etc.

So in short, no they are unlikely to give you a bad reference. Most teachers and schools want pupils to do well and get good uni places/jobs, as it looks good on them. I hope this may be slightly reassuring?
EierVonSatan
Badges: 19
Report 3 days ago
I don't think I've ever seen a UCAS reference that was truly bad. Just that some are more glowing than others

Most of the time university courses don't heavily use references into account when deciding offers, anyway.
The Learn Ranger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by amber2106)
Will try and answer your question via Facebook Live tonight at 7.

https://www.facebook.com/TheStudentRoom/
EierVonSatan
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by The Learn Ranger)
Will try and answer your question via Facebook Live tonight at 7.

https://www.facebook.com/TheStudentRoom/
Yeah, Facebook is a much better platform for this type of thing :ninja:
angelinahx
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I don't even think your teachers can give you a bad reference for UCAS? We were told that your teachers can't give you a bad reference, they can avoid mentioning certain things you suck at (like say work ethic/attendance/punctuality) but they cannot actively write you a negative reference
EierVonSatan
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
I don't even think your teachers can give you a bad reference for UCAS? We were told that your teachers can't give you a bad reference, they can avoid mentioning certain things you suck at (like say work ethic/attendance/punctuality) but they cannot actively write you a negative reference
Common misconception about references in general, not just UCAS ones. They can write bad references but they have to be truthful/justified.

In practice, you don't see explicitly bad references being written. Instead they can 'damn you with faint praise'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.32%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (279)
64.43%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.85%
Not yet but I might (58)
13.39%

Watched Threads