The Student Room Group

EPQs for resitting A Level

My daughter has just completed her A levels with AAB (B in chemistry) and A in core maths.She has missed her offer for QUB medicine and has now decided to take a gap year and resit chemistry.Does anyone know if doing an EPQ in this year will count or does it only count when doing first sitting of A levels?Don't want her to miss out next year and medicine is so competitive.She does not qualify for any widening participation.Her nan died at the start of her A levels so she did really well (in my opinion) but just trying to find out what is out there to make her more competitive. Any help would be most appreciated!
Reply 1
Start with looking at the list of unis that accept resits for medicine and cross-reference it with those that take an EPQ into account - that won't end up with very many, but that might help the decision.
Doing an EPQ might make a difference as to WHERE she does her chemistry Alevel this year?
Regardless of whether it helps her eligibility, it will help her interest, drive and interviews and potentially keep her biology current if she chooses a wise research area. But so would work experience.
Reply 2
Original post by Lol791
My daughter has just completed her A levels with AAB (B in chemistry) and A in core maths.She has missed her offer for QUB medicine and has now decided to take a gap year and resit chemistry.Does anyone know if doing an EPQ in this year will count or does it only count when doing first sitting of A levels?Don't want her to miss out next year and medicine is so competitive.She does not qualify for any widening participation.Her nan died at the start of her A levels so she did really well (in my opinion) but just trying to find out what is out there to make her more competitive. Any help would be most appreciated!

Nowhere uses EPQ in selecting for interview except possibly Manchester via their holistic route. It can lower an offer to AAB if there is an A in an EPQ but my suspicion is this would have had to have been achieved at the original sitting for it to count, but it may be worth contacting unis to ask

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending