The Student Room Group

Should I apply for Cambridge?

Hello all,

I firmed Bristol this year to study Social Policy and Sociology. However, I achieved higher grades than I expected. I got A*A*B(one mark off an A, very high chance it will be marked up).

I'm thinking of re-applying to Cambridge to study Theology. I got an A* in Religious Studies and am very interested in the subject. I have also written for national publications about Roman Catholicism, and I do a lot of wider reading surrounding the subject, so my Personal Statement should be fine.

However, I only got 7 GCSEs... with one A* in English Language.

Would I have a chance to get into Theology at Cambridge? Please be brutally honest!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by UytKcaj

Wait and see if the B gets marked up, because that will significantly improve your chances.

Is there any reason why you only got 7 GCSEs, difficult family circumstances, new to the country/language etc? There's no hard and fast rule about GCSEs, it's A levels that count more.

You'd have to give up your place at Bristol, so have you got any useful plans for a gap year?

You would be moving from a quite specific degree to a quite general one, have you thought about how you might handle that in terms of careers?
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Wait and see if the B gets marked up, because that will significantly improve your chances.

Is there any reason why you only got 7 GCSEs, difficult family circumstances, new to the country/language etc? There's no hard and fast rule about GCSEs, it's A levels that count more.

You'd have to give up your place at Bristol, so have you got any useful plans for a gap year?

You would be moving from a quite specific degree to a quite general one, have you thought about how you might handle that in terms of careers?

Of course, that B turning into an A is pretty much 'make or break' for my application.

And no excuse, tbh. Just didn't work hard at all- I applied myself much much more in the second half of Year 12 and onwards, thus explaining the jump in attainment.

The degree allows to open up for many careers incl. into further study, which is what I'm interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending