The Student Room Group

What type of textbooks are needed per law module?

Perhaps that was awkwardly phrased.

What I mean is that I've realised there can't just be one textbook you'd use for every module you study. Already I've come across books for 'Text and Cases' and separate ones called 'Statute books'. I'm guessing the latter is just filled with the text of current laws while the former goes on to explain that area of law with case examples? Are there more variants? Could someone advise the best place to buy them?

Also I'm guessing journals and articles can usually be found online/provided.
There are proper textbooks. These discuss the law and give some tidbits; it's written like a normal book.

There are text/cases. These discuss the cases -- they quote large chunks of judgments for you to read yourself, which have been slightly reduced at points. They will give you parts of legislation which are relevant. They do contain some discussion and author insights, but it's very weak usually.

Statute books. These are all the statutes without any discussion. You get no author insights. Normally these are the books you can take into an exam.

I would suggest you buy all three at some point. There are revision guides as well which are incredibly superficial and not very useful.
Journal articles are usually found online. Some of them will only be held physically in the library.

With regard to both textbooks and cases/texts, Westlaw now houses many of these with their new updates. It should be noted previously Westlaw only contained seminal textbooks like Chitty, Benjamin and Snell -- which are leading texts practitioners and others use. They tend to go into a lot of detail and are quoted by judges -- even their footnotes are deferred to in judgements. Now you get some ordinary textbooks which are designed for undegrad law students, so you might not need to buy a textbook. They even contain text/cases books.
Original post by Notoriety
Journal articles are usually found online. Some of them will only be held physically in the library.

With regard to both textbooks and cases/texts, Westlaw now houses many of these with their new updates. It should be noted previously Westlaw only contained seminal textbooks like Chitty, Benjamin and Snell -- which are leading texts practitioners and others use. They tend to go into a lot of detail and are quoted by judges -- even their footnotes are deferred to in judgements. Now you get some ordinary textbooks which are designed for undegrad law students, so you might not need to buy a textbook. They even contain text/cases books.

Thanks a bunch

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending