The Student Room Group

not sure if i should aim for medicine or dentistry?

I’m a fifth year student (in scotland) and i’ve just had my national 5 results where i got AAAAAA and i’m looking into careers in either medicine or dentistry. for the past year my main goal has been to get the grades and experience to apply for medicine so i am starting volunteering in a nursing home and the support for learning department at my school. i also have a part time job in a cafe which i don’t enjoy so i’ll try and apply for a job at a chemist. i’m quite interested in obstetrics and gynaecology and would love to become one in the future but i’ve recently realised that i think i’d be more suited for dentistry as i don’t think i’d be willing to give up as much time to my work as is required for medicine. my number one uni at the moment is dundee for both medicine and dentistry but if someone could tell me the differences/similarities and pros/cons between the two careers that would be really helpful :smile:
Original post by ronaclark
I’m a fifth year student (in scotland) and i’ve just had my national 5 results where i got AAAAAA and i’m looking into careers in either medicine or dentistry. for the past year my main goal has been to get the grades and experience to apply for medicine so i am starting volunteering in a nursing home and the support for learning department at my school. i also have a part time job in a cafe which i don’t enjoy so i’ll try and apply for a job at a chemist. i’m quite interested in obstetrics and gynaecology and would love to become one in the future but i’ve recently realised that i think i’d be more suited for dentistry as i don’t think i’d be willing to give up as much time to my work as is required for medicine. my number one uni at the moment is dundee for both medicine and dentistry but if someone could tell me the differences/similarities and pros/cons between the two careers that would be really helpful :smile:

Honestly, I think the best way forward is doing volunteer work with a dentist and a doctor. It'll give you more of a feel for both jobs!
Reply 2
i haven’t done any experience because my school hasn’t been helpful but i’m trying my best! i live in quite a rural area so there’s only 2 local(ish) hospitals but in the next year i’m hoping to do experience at both

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending