The Student Room Group

Should I take A Level Further Maths?

I got a 9 (280/300) in my Maths GCSE and an A in FSMQ maths but I'm worried that I might be taking on too much especially since this will mean I have fewer frees with French and Spanish speaking practice periods too. I know that Further Maths would be extra work but I'm just worried that it might drag down the rest of my grades if I find it too hard. I don't think I'll do a degree requiring Further Maths but keeping my options open would be good and I really enjoy maths. Do you think it's worth it or should i just stick to Maths, French and Spanish?
Reply 1
I think if you want to understand the foundations of maths more and feel like pushing yourself (especially from your A in fsmq), you should definitely take further maths. Also, if it turns out you don’t like the workload, you can always drop it In the beginning of y12.
I got a grade 9 in gcse maths and B in A level further maths, it is certainly a huge amount of work and in my opinion only worth it if you’re planning on doing a maths degree at a top university or trying to get into a stem degree at Oxbridge.
Reply 3
Original post by La Bête
I think if you want to understand the foundations of maths more and feel like pushing yourself (especially from your A in fsmq), you should definitely take further maths. Also, if it turns out you don’t like the workload, you can always drop it In the beginning of y12.

That's very true, maybe I'll try it out for a couple weeks and ask the teachers how they think I'm doing by the end of it. Thank you for the advice xx Ooh sorry one last question, how different would you say the curriculums of Further and normal maths are? Are there things that you can clearly apply from one another (like does Further just go deeper into things we've already learned) or are they focusing on quite different branches of maths? Hope that makes sense
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mustafa0605
I got a grade 9 in gcse maths and B in A level further maths, it is certainly a huge amount of work and in my opinion only worth it if you’re planning on doing a maths degree at a top university or trying to get into a stem degree at Oxbridge.

True, I'm just so indecisive that I have no idea what I'm gonna be thinking in 2 years so my strategy is just take as much as I can to compensate lol.
Though I might burn out so I definitely see your points. Thank you for the help I really appreciate it xx
I’d say take it, you’re clearly good at maths and in the first few weeks doing maths and further maths is very doable. It’s better to drop it later on than regret not doing it at all. Lots of people in my year dropped it in y12 or y13 but almost no-one picked it up at a later time. If you like maths then you’ll find further maths v satisfying.
Reply 6
Original post by YC399
That's very true, maybe I'll try it out for a couple weeks and ask the teachers how they think I'm doing by the end of it. Thank you for the advice xx Ooh sorry one last question, how different would you say the curriculums of Further and normal maths are? Are there things that you can clearly apply from one another (like does Further just go deeper into things we've already learned) or are they focusing on quite different branches of maths? Hope that makes sense

It’s a mix of both really. For things like calculus, you go a bit more in depth or in further stats, you learn some extra tools that you can use to “analyse” data. Some topics, however, are not in the regular maths syllabus such as matrices. Overall, there is enough overlap to make learning regular maths a bit easier but not so much that you feel as if it isn’t its own subject. If anything, if you take further maths, regular maths won’t feel like an a level.

Quick Reply

Latest