The Student Room Group

Oxbridge and imperial

Got a place!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Also 50% of people in my school get grades 9 to 4
for oxford, unless you have pretty serious extenuating circumstances probably not. imperial you'll probably be fine, and realistically Cambridge too as I don't think either really look at GCSE's, so just smash your a levels and you'll be fine to apply to those two
Reply 3
Original post by Jasonsolegit03
Also 50% of people in my school get grades 9 to 4

To clarify - does that mean that the other 50% of grades awarded are U, 1, 2, 3? Or is it just 50% of candidates getting at least one of those grades?

Imperial don't say anything about GCSEs. Applicants to Imperial and Oxbridge typically have high GCSEs, but that's because people with high GCSEs tend to do well at A-level and therefore consider applying.

Oxford and Cambridge do look at them, but in the context of the school where you got them - see here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6033950
Original post by Sinnoh
To clarify - does that mean that the other 50% of grades awarded are U, 1, 2, 3? Or is it just 50% of candidates getting at least one of those grades?

Imperial don't say anything about GCSEs. Applicants to Imperial and Oxbridge typically have high GCSEs, but that's because people with high GCSEs tend to do well at A-level and therefore consider applying.

Oxford and Cambridge do look at them, but in the context of the school where you got them - see here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6033950

I looked on Wikipedia and it says “Around 50% of pupils achieve 5 A-C grades at GCSE.”
Reply 5
I looked on Wikipedia and it says “Around 50% of pupils achieve 5 A-C grades at GCSE.”

So your grades are actually very good for your school. The unis will see that and take it into account.
Original post by Sinnoh
So your grades are actually very good for your school. The unis will see that and take it into account.

So I would have a good chance at oxford?
Reply 7
So I would have a good chance at oxford?

It depends on the course. They may use GCSEs as a factor when shortlisting applicants to be interviewed.
Also worth knowing, currently Oxford treat 8s and 9s as equal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending