Jasonsolegit03
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi so I’ve just completed my GCSE’s and I got 2 8s 3 7s 2 6s and 1 5. I was wondering if Oxbridge and imperial take GCSEs into considerations as my grades aren’t the best.
Jasonsolegit03
Rep:
?
Also 50% of people in my school get grades 9 to 4
I’m_triene
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
for oxford, unless you have pretty serious extenuating circumstances probably not. imperial you'll probably be fine, and realistically Cambridge too as I don't think either really look at GCSE's, so just smash your a levels and you'll be fine to apply to those two
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jasonsolegit03)
Also 50% of people in my school get grades 9 to 4
To clarify - does that mean that the other 50% of grades awarded are U, 1, 2, 3? Or is it just 50% of candidates getting at least one of those grades?

Imperial don't say anything about GCSEs. Applicants to Imperial and Oxbridge typically have high GCSEs, but that's because people with high GCSEs tend to do well at A-level and therefore consider applying.

Oxford and Cambridge do look at them, but in the context of the school where you got them - see here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6033950
Jasonsolegit03
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
To clarify - does that mean that the other 50% of grades awarded are U, 1, 2, 3? Or is it just 50% of candidates getting at least one of those grades?

Imperial don't say anything about GCSEs. Applicants to Imperial and Oxbridge typically have high GCSEs, but that's because people with high GCSEs tend to do well at A-level and therefore consider applying.

Oxford and Cambridge do look at them, but in the context of the school where you got them - see here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6033950
I looked on Wikipedia and it says “Around 50% of pupils achieve 5 A-C grades at GCSE.”
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I looked on Wikipedia and it says “Around 50% of pupils achieve 5 A-C grades at GCSE.”
So your grades are actually very good for your school. The unis will see that and take it into account.
Jasonsolegit03
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
So your grades are actually very good for your school. The unis will see that and take it into account.
So I would have a good chance at oxford?
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So I would have a good chance at oxford?
It depends on the course. They may use GCSEs as a factor when shortlisting applicants to be interviewed.
Also worth knowing, currently Oxford treat 8s and 9s as equal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (26)
6.58%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (231)
58.48%
No (138)
34.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed