The Student Room Group

Psychology or Sociology A-Level?

i’ve checked UCAS and it states that while psychology is desirable for a degree, it is not needed and sociology is also preferred, is this right?

because i am interested in both psychology and sociology equally, i’m not sure which one to do, so i’ll have to base it off of the work and content

to anyone who does these a-levels, do you recommend one?

i plan to do 4 and drop one (history), so i will have a lot of ‘essay-based’ subjects to do (eng combined and history), along with biology
Reply 1
Original post by Wonyo
i’ve checked UCAS and it states that while psychology is desirable for a degree, it is not needed and sociology is also preferred, is this right?

because i am interested in both psychology and sociology equally, i’m not sure which one to do, so i’ll have to base it off of the work and content

to anyone who does these a-levels, do you recommend one?

i plan to do 4 and drop one (history), so i will have a lot of ‘essay-based’ subjects to do (eng combined and history), along with biology

I did psychology AQA and really enjoyed it, although i didnt do sociology from what I heard from friends doing it is that sociology i think AQA is more essays than psychology and had 30 markers etc. whereas for psychology the longest question is 16 markers one thing you could do is look through the specs and past exam papers and see which one you think looks more interesting :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Zoe_H
I did psychology AQA and really enjoyed it, although i didnt do sociology from what I heard from friends doing it is that sociology i think AQA is more essays than psychology and had 30 markers etc. whereas for psychology the longest question is 16 markers one thing you could do is look through the specs and past exam papers and see which one you think looks more interesting :smile:

thank you this is really helpful!!
psychology

you need a good memory but also you can't be ****e at basic maffs
Reply 4
Original post by over1234
psychology

bu maffs is pointless innit, just numbers no real world application or whatever
Reply 5
Original post by over1234
psychology

i got a 7 in maths (really wasn’t expecting it tbh) and i don’t really like maths either lol

well we’ll see
I studied AQA Psychology for two years and finished it this year and in all honesty, I hated it. However my memory isn't fantastic and I found a lot of the course to be quite tedious and boring, however if you are interested in it then I definitely think you should go for it. I got a C overall and I struggled and hated it so if you enjoy it then you are bound to exceed that! :smile:
Original post by Wonyo
i got a 7 in maths (really wasn’t expecting it tbh) and i don’t really like maths either lol

well we’ll see

A/B is fine just as long your maffs isn't really bad you'll be ok. theres a whole research methods section and theres research methods in each paper so you need to be comfortable with basic numbers and graphs.
Reply 8
man this is so hard, psychology and sociology both seem appealing to me lol

Quick Reply

Latest