The Student Room Group

Midnight Stargazing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Hope you're okay mate. :smile:

It's definitely a very difficult and unprecedented period ahead for however long it lasts but we'll get through it. For me, I've had all my outstanding assessments cancelled including exams for my 1st year at uni and I think teaching for the summer term is still going ahead at least. I'm also quite nervous and the uncertainty of not knowing what may/could happen is scary but I find that it's best to not dwell on it too much and definitely avoid watching/reading the news too much. I guess the biggest problem is that I have nothing to do and that's both annoying and worrying. :frown:

Thanks- I'm good enough, put it that way

Well, as long as you're being taught, that's one thing. I think you're right, dwelling on it can't get us anywhere. I think we just have to trust the people in charge to do the right thing now.

Original post by entertainmyfaith
that's good :redface:
yeah i'm alright, not sure how to feel tbh... i just hope the exams aren't postponed :s-smilie:

Well, supposedly they're not going to be, at least. Good news
Reply 181
Sat Apr 4-

Aren't these interesting times? This is historical, and it is odd to be living so acutely through what one day will be remembered history. A story for the kids and all that.

Strangely by now, this whole thing is becoming second nature. I'm quite enjoying certain things, I must be honest, like the amount of time I get to sit by my piano, and sleep. I don't miss the outside world much just yet, but perhaps the thing is this is the first time I've had away from working for years and I must be honest, for the time being I'm kind of relishing it. I am worried about results though. I'm trying not to think about it too much but I am. I never made many contributions in class, my tests marks were never the best, I forgot homework more often than I should've, and these are all the things that they're going to be considering now they're doing the grades and I hope that my AS grades and mock grades show that I perform better when put under exam pressure but I'm not sure they will. And I don't want to do autumn exams. I want to go to university in September. Thanks. Also, I've deleted Facebook, tried to limit my Twitter to more informal things on my more informal account, and checking the news less. Part of me feels like it's important to keep up- like we all have an obligation to know and respect how many people have confirmed cases and how many have passed away with the virus, and that ignoring it is arrogant selfishness. But I can't keep checking it all the time. I've never had an issue with social media use before this but over this week I've kind of become addicted. I don't want to keep looking at the stats, and all the people being angry online, and all the stories of people breaking rules that just fuel an anxiety that more people will die unnecessarily and we're going to be stuck here forever, but I just can't seem to stop. I think deleting Facebook last night was a good start.

(The song "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" just came on my Spotify as I wrote that paragraph, ironically. What can I say, I like older music)

Lessons have been continuing on Microsoft Teams, and I think the best summary of that is that it is a mess (I have far stronger language I can't use on this site). My wifi is perpetually awful, so I get connection only occasionally, which is a terrible way to learn. It's become especially concerning now that the teachers want submitted work as proof we're doing it and I'm over here like "I don't understand the work because my connection cut out while you were explaining the work so the work hasn't been done" but I don't wanna actually keep emailing them saying that so hnnnnnn. It's not awful in chemistry and maths but in physics we've been doing gravitational fields with one teacher and it's such a hard topic anyway without the constant cutouts. The other teacher has given us a PowerPoint to work from though. So there's that. I'm also torn because I feel now like every answer counts and I'm just being like "right so I don't want to be wrong, because that could mean they dock grades, but I also don't want my answers to be too similar to the ones they give on the PowerPoint because then it looks like I just copied and that could mean they dock grades" and to be frank it's horrible, especially when I legit just don't know the answers.

Unsurprisingly, not much else has happened in my life since my last update. My last day in college was very odd. I'm not really sure how to summarise it so I won't but it was the most informal, rubbish thing ever. Got a nice photo on the Thursday with the 7 or so people who turned up to our last physics lesson though.

How are you guys keeping up? We've gotten through two weeks now, and even though we don't know how long this will last, every day is a day closer to freedom.

Spoiler

good idea to delete facebook!! you do definitely make a good point though about being informed but not becoming obsessed with every stat and article- i do think that balance is hard to find now :yep:
it definitely is annoying that suddenly we have to be looking at our past a level work in a different perspective, definitely!! we're told constantly that none of this matters because little every year till this one, it hasn't, it's the exam that matters the most. but this year is very different in terms of that.
sorry to hear you're having problems with your internet at home, have you told your teachers about this?? don't think they'll be basing the grades wholly off what has been done on microsoft teams :hugs: your college sounds much more on the ball than mine with lessons! that being said, for english lit we'd covered all the texts pretty much and psychology is easy to self teach, maths i definitely appreciate being taught though. hope you're doing okay amidst all this uncertainty, having to stay at home as well doesn't make this fun :sadnod:
i've been okay, just distracting myself with shifts at asda which has been good so far :grin::lol:
Original post by MidnightSymphony
Welp, here we go again. Again.

Hello there! I'm Matthew, though I'll never refer to myself as that again here, so I'm Midnight, 17 year old student in south Wales. Welcome to...er...another year of trials and tribulations, this time me getting myself through A2 year. What a trainwreck this will be.

As a prospective chemistry applicant who has yet to do any wider reading or start a personal statement at time of writing, I'm screwed. Moreover, as a prospective chemistry applicant who has lost a lot of interest in anything academic, what hope do I have

RIGHT, this bit. Ono.

GCSE GRADES

Spoiler

AS GRADES

Spoiler

PREDICTED GRADES FOR A2 and MY OWN TARGETS

Spoiler

UNIVERSITY APPLICATIONS

Spoiler

Along with the three A-Levels, our college has decided that the "brightest students" must do the full course Cambridge Pre-U qualification in Global Perspectives. Until today, this was short course, but the powers that be decided we need to do even more work. Whyyy

Anyway, that's just about it from me. Thanks for getting this far, and hope you follow along. I'd appreciate it.

Now stop procrastinating on here and get back to work.

You’re a genius 😟
Oooh that was a good idea to delete Facebook :yes: with my social media I have a time limit on my phone, so it blocks the app after I go over the time limit.
Hopefully as your AS grades have some weighting for your A level grade anyway, the teachers should take it more into account than little tests :hugs:

I think Microsoft teams has been a bit glitchy for everyone recently :sadnod: you could ask a teacher to record the audio of the lesson and upload it somewhere?

Hehe I love that, every day is a day closer to freedom :smile: the two weeks simultaneously feel like they’ve zoomed by and dragged on for centuries :laugh:
Reply 185
good idea to delete facebook!! you do definitely make a good point though about being informed but not becoming obsessed with every stat and article- i do think that balance is hard to find now :yep:
it definitely is annoying that suddenly we have to be looking at our past a level work in a different perspective, definitely!! we're told constantly that none of this matters because little every year till this one, it hasn't, it's the exam that matters the most. but this year is very different in terms of that.
sorry to hear you're having problems with your internet at home, have you told your teachers about this?? don't think they'll be basing the grades wholly off what has been done on microsoft teams :hugs: your college sounds much more on the ball than mine with lessons! that being said, for english lit we'd covered all the texts pretty much and psychology is easy to self teach, maths i definitely appreciate being taught though. hope you're doing okay amidst all this uncertainty, having to stay at home as well doesn't make this fun :sadnod:
i've been okay, just distracting myself with shifts at asda which has been good so far :grin::lol:

It is, and what's worse is the contrast of coverage on every site. BBC News is the worst offender, because they seem to publish an equal number of articles about places being deserted and places being absolutely crammed every day, so if you end up on there reading about the deserted places, you'll almost defintely end up reading about the places that are full of people and you don't know what to think.

I haven't, no, maybe I ought to though...my college aren't all that on the ball, we'd just come out of an inspection before the schools closed and I do wonder if things were developed so as to please the inspectors that just so happened to be helpful come now.

I tried to get a job. I've been ignored, and I have to look after my sister a lot considering both my parents still have to go to work.

Original post by Aliyah1981
You’re a genius 😟

Thank you so much! But I'm really not...

Original post by laurawatt
Oooh that was a good idea to delete Facebook :yes: with my social media I have a time limit on my phone, so it blocks the app after I go over the time limit.
Hopefully as your AS grades have some weighting for your A level grade anyway, the teachers should take it more into account than little tests :hugs:

I think Microsoft teams has been a bit glitchy for everyone recently :sadnod: you could ask a teacher to record the audio of the lesson and upload it somewhere?

Hehe I love that, every day is a day closer to freedom :smile: the two weeks simultaneously feel like they’ve zoomed by and dragged on for centuries :laugh:

Oh I tried that in the summer last year but I just switched it off and kept going, so much for self control

Some of my teachers do not take kindly to being recorded. One of the girls in my maths class started recording by accident the other day and our teacher stopped and went "Excuse me, I'd appreciate if you didn't record me, thank you" and just sat there until she worked out how to switch it off

Don't they just? It's such a strange feeling...
Sat Apr 4-

Aren't these interesting times? This is historical, and it is odd to be living so acutely through what one day will be remembered history. A story for the kids and all that.

Strangely by now, this whole thing is becoming second nature. I'm quite enjoying certain things, I must be honest, like the amount of time I get to sit by my piano, and sleep. I don't miss the outside world much just yet, but perhaps the thing is this is the first time I've had away from working for years and I must be honest, for the time being I'm kind of relishing it. I am worried about results though. I'm trying not to think about it too much but I am. I never made many contributions in class, my tests marks were never the best, I forgot homework more often than I should've, and these are all the things that they're going to be considering now they're doing the grades and I hope that my AS grades and mock grades show that I perform better when put under exam pressure but I'm not sure they will. And I don't want to do autumn exams. I want to go to university in September. Thanks. Also, I've deleted Facebook, tried to limit my Twitter to more informal things on my more informal account, and checking the news less. Part of me feels like it's important to keep up- like we all have an obligation to know and respect how many people have confirmed cases and how many have passed away with the virus, and that ignoring it is arrogant selfishness. But I can't keep checking it all the time. I've never had an issue with social media use before this but over this week I've kind of become addicted. I don't want to keep looking at the stats, and all the people being angry online, and all the stories of people breaking rules that just fuel an anxiety that more people will die unnecessarily and we're going to be stuck here forever, but I just can't seem to stop. I think deleting Facebook last night was a good start.

(The song "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" just came on my Spotify as I wrote that paragraph, ironically. What can I say, I like older music)

Lessons have been continuing on Microsoft Teams, and I think the best summary of that is that it is a mess (I have far stronger language I can't use on this site). My wifi is perpetually awful, so I get connection only occasionally, which is a terrible way to learn. It's become especially concerning now that the teachers want submitted work as proof we're doing it and I'm over here like "I don't understand the work because my connection cut out while you were explaining the work so the work hasn't been done" but I don't wanna actually keep emailing them saying that so hnnnnnn. It's not awful in chemistry and maths but in physics we've been doing gravitational fields with one teacher and it's such a hard topic anyway without the constant cutouts. The other teacher has given us a PowerPoint to work from though. So there's that. I'm also torn because I feel now like every answer counts and I'm just being like "right so I don't want to be wrong, because that could mean they dock grades, but I also don't want my answers to be too similar to the ones they give on the PowerPoint because then it looks like I just copied and that could mean they dock grades" and to be frank it's horrible, especially when I legit just don't know the answers.

Unsurprisingly, not much else has happened in my life since my last update. My last day in college was very odd. I'm not really sure how to summarise it so I won't but it was the most informal, rubbish thing ever. Got a nice photo on the Thursday with the 7 or so people who turned up to our last physics lesson though.

How are you guys keeping up? We've gotten through two weeks now, and even though we don't know how long this will last, every day is a day closer to freedom.

Spoiler

Social media detox sounds like a great exercise!

I'm confused, are you not in Year 13? Why are you being set mandatory work? Maybe it's just my school but the year 11s and 13s don't have much to be doing as the school has said they already have enough evidence for each of us - of course I'm doing a bit of work here or there when set by a teacher to try and get on their good side! But that's probably only an hour or two a week!
Reply 187
Original post by Matthew2422
Social media detox sounds like a great exercise!

I'm confused, are you not in Year 13? Why are you being set mandatory work? Maybe it's just my school but the year 11s and 13s don't have much to be doing as the school has said they already have enough evidence for each of us - of course I'm doing a bit of work here or there when set by a teacher to try and get on their good side! But that's probably only an hour or two a week!

I am in year 13, yes, but apparently my teachers are obligated to continue teaching us until we complete the course, and are not allowed to let us miss any lessons (the college system is still active and they're still marking registers too on who turns up to teams- attendance figures of course will matter in our grades), so we're in full lessons until at least May 22nd
Reply 188
Sat Apr 18-

April has lasted about 3 days. It feels like last week the news were interviewing the people in Mid Wales saying "I just want it to stop raining" standing in knee-deep water and now we're stuck in an eternal summer. Time is a concept and doesn't exist. And we haven't even made it to 4 weeks of lockdown yet.

Quick mental health bit- mine is very up and down. I'm still mostly enjoying this whole thing thus far but I'm kinda all over the place. I've been feeling very guilty about two things though- firstly, I saw someone I know who doesn't live with me later than I know I should've. Don't get me wrong, I haven't seen anyone since the country went into lockdown, I haven't broken the lockdown rules, but still later than I should've. Secondly, a few weeks ago my dad brought two surgical masks home from work, I don't know how he got them (he's a binman) and they sat there for a while and then one fell on the floor so I thought it was contaminated and so unsafe and threw it in the bin, and also threw the other away too bc he told me to. Every time they mention the PPE shortage I just remember that, and how those two masks could have saved two lives if they'd fallen into better hands.

Now, if you don't all think I'm a horrible person, like I do again now, moving on...

I keep meaning to start a YouTube channel, I say I will start later every day, and I do really want to, but somehow I never just get on with it. I can't for the next couple days anyway because yesterday my sister and I dyed our hair red and green and that looks slightly ridiculous (we had blue dye here for years and my mother picked up some red when she had to go to the pharmacy, but the blue obviously hasn't worked properly).

Studying is a confusing area atm. The Government have, obviously, now said that any work done after schools closed will not be counted toward a final grade, but to my understanding we're back in lessons Monday regardless. I've been keeping busy anyway though, because Swansea Uni's chemistry department have been running a bridging course. Because we won't have finished the A-Level course, we're now going back through the entire chem spec in 4 months, started on 30th March and ending July 24th (there's half my summer gone even if lockdown is eased at all, then), by doing three topics and a Zoom session for each every week. It's busy, as you might imagine, but it does give me something to do- so much to do, in fact, that I'm getting a little concerned about managing my time over the next five weeks doing it alongside college and other things I want to do. Like exercise. I've eaten enough chocolate this week to sink a ship. Last Sunday I was mouthing off to my mother about how people who live in houses with a garden, like us, shouldn't be going out to do their exercise to make sure people who live in flats and things still have the space and they don't make it illegal bc too many people and now I'm kind of backtracking on that because my area isn't very busy and I like running- but that isn't without guilt and I haven't been anywhere yet regardless.

That's all from me right now. How's life with you guys? Lockdown going ok?

Spoiler

Sorry to hear that you're feeling a bit over the place mentally, I would say I'm in a very similar position. Btw, I don't think you're a horrible person at all and don't be too hard on yourself. :smile:

Good to hear that Swansea Uni's chemistry department is running a bridging course, hopefully it's useful and helpful in preparing you for studying chemistry at undergraduate level.

As for myself, I'm finding lockdown quite difficult and I'm now 5 weeks into quarantine which is insane. Really missing my friends from uni and home even though I do keep in contact via social media and I miss being in York. Also learning in a virtual environment is really weird and I'll go mad if I have to use Zoom. I can't figure out how to get a virtual background to properly work so I might as well not have one smh.
sorry to hear your mh is up and down, these have been strange and difficult times :sadnod: always here if you want to talk!!
i'm glad to hear you're having some sort of routine, i definitely think it does help :yes:
doing alright thanks, got a job at asda so at least i have some reason to leave the house!!
Reply 191
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Sorry to hear that you're feeling a bit over the place mentally, I would say I'm in a very similar position. Btw, I don't think you're a horrible person at all and don't be too hard on yourself. :smile:

Good to hear that Swansea Uni's chemistry department is running a bridging course, hopefully it's useful and helpful in preparing you for studying chemistry at undergraduate level.

As for myself, I'm finding lockdown quite difficult and I'm now 5 weeks into quarantine which is insane. Really missing my friends from uni and home even though I do keep in contact via social media and I miss being in York. Also learning in a virtual environment is really weird and I'll go mad if I have to use Zoom. I can't figure out how to get a virtual background to properly work so I might as well not have one smh.

Thanks. It's horrible the effects that being stuck inside in semi-solitude can have, isn't it? In my case, my mother sits on her computer working all day, my dad still goes to work, and my sister barely leaves her room/a blanket on the sofa, so sometimes it feels like I'm just here quite alone without any of the fun that actually being home alone can be.
It is. As well as the A-Level spec itself we're doing a lot of extension material which is first year chemistry, which is brilliant, but like I said, a lot to do and even more to try and understand.
That makes a lot of sense. I'm using Zoom and Teams for different things and neither are terrible, if you have a decent wifi connection, which I don't. I prefer Teams because it seems more organised to me.

sorry to hear your mh is up and down, these have been strange and difficult times :sadnod: always here if you want to talk!!
i'm glad to hear you're having some sort of routine, i definitely think it does help :yes:
doing alright thanks, got a job at asda so at least i have some reason to leave the house!!

I don't really have a routine. One thing I'm really looking forward to this week is having enough to do that I can create a full, proper timetable of work for the next five weeks. I don't wanna be stuck inside all week though, having said that, must go running at some point (I've eaten yet more chocolate this morning, there has been s o m u c h)
I applied for a couple of jobs, but no responses...never to mind. How's it been working at Asda? Chaotic?
I don't really have a routine. One thing I'm really looking forward to this week is having enough to do that I can create a full, proper timetable of work for the next five weeks. I don't wanna be stuck inside all week though, having said that, must go running at some point (I've eaten yet more chocolate this morning, there has been s o m u c h)
I applied for a couple of jobs, but no responses...never to mind. How's it been working at Asda? Chaotic?

can't imagine sticking to a timetable now tbh :colondollar:
it's perfectly acceptable to eat lots of chocolate :yep: (you should see the discounted eggs at asda..)
sorry to hear that :console: has been quite good tbh!! gets busy at times but never too busy as they have to queue now etc. i've been mainly doing picking for online orders and there's sometimes a lot of picking to do- yesterday i spent 9 hours just doing picking which i don't mind as it's quite methodical :lol:
Thanks. It's horrible the effects that being stuck inside in semi-solitude can have, isn't it? In my case, my mother sits on her computer working all day, my dad still goes to work, and my sister barely leaves her room/a blanket on the sofa, so sometimes it feels like I'm just here quite alone without any of the fun that actually being home alone can be.
It is. As well as the A-Level spec itself we're doing a lot of extension material which is first year chemistry, which is brilliant, but like I said, a lot to do and even more to try and understand.
That makes a lot of sense. I'm using Zoom and Teams for different things and neither are terrible, if you have a decent wifi connection, which I don't. I prefer Teams because it seems more organised to me.

No worries. :smile: It's definitely not great for anyone's MH to be stuck predominantly indoors during this quarantine period and today I'm just not feeling very great. I've made a note of all the video calls and uni work (it's mostly revision) I got over the next couple of weeks and that's just giving me anxiety and stress. It's mostly down to the fact that I don't really have a routine when at home and it sucks. Can completely relate with what other family members are doing... my mum is mostly on her iPad watching some Asian series on YouTube, dad has a lie-in until the afternoon and spends the day on his phone, watching TV/YouTube on the TV and my younger brother barely leaves the room and is playing video games so I also feel quite alone. Have been in contact with friends from uni and home but it just doesn't feel the same. I did talk to one of my closest friends from home via social media during the early hours this morning as I struggled to sleep but we didn't talk much - just checking on each other on how we're doing. We're both alright.

Not surprised that the bridging course will be covering some material from first year chemistry - hopefully they explain clearly all these different concepts and stuff and not make it seem quite overwhelming!

I've used Google Hangouts once when I had a quick video call to raise something to the sociology faculty and Zoom a couple of times but I defo hate the latter, I find it hard to use. Never used Teams but my brother has for school.
Sorry to hear that you’re a bit up and down r.e mh :console: sending big hugs :jumphug:
Wow, the bridging course seems quite full on! But useful :yes:
Lockdown’s going okay, all the days blur into one really
Reply 195
Tue Apr 21-

Hi! So this isn't a proper update, because I have nothing to say- other than the fact I started a YouTube channel and the link to the first video, if anybody's interested, is here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsPKhJQvDio

Like I say a lot in the video, I don't know exactly what I'm going to do just yet, either some kinda study related thing or music, or perhaps something else entirely. Anyway, hope you're all still doing well and I'll do a proper update soon, or just stop them in favour of the channel, idk, depends what happens I guess.

Spoiler

:woo: I’ll have a watch now!
watching the video now!! your accent's really nice :smile: looking forward to what you're planning to do with the channel :awesome:
Reply 198
Sun 3 May-

Nothing new has happened with the channel. I want to put something on there tomorrow, but even as I write this I don’t know what that might be. We’ll just...uh...see.

As I’m typing, my street is participating in a game of street bingo. Even though it’s being done from our front gardens, I don’t feel comfortable taking part, less because I’m scared of the virus and more because I’m scared of breaking the law. The handing out tickets, donation collection (we’re doing a collection for the NHS) and prize collection all violates social distancing, even if for a few mere seconds each time. I did participate in the first game, but I don’t want to be part of any more. I don’t even know if I ought to share this on here. I know I’ll probably let myself be dragged out again for another round of this sometime soon and I literally don’t know if my attitude should be “this is almost entirely keeping distance, it’s ok” or “there is clear breaching here, this is definitely not ok”. I’ll definitely end up out there this Friday for whatever we do then...

Sorry for that paragraph, onto studies-

Chemistry for college right now involves enthalpy and entropy with one teacher, and electrochem with the other. It’s a pretty hard way to end the year, and I’m a lil behind with the work, but is anyone checking? As for the bridging course, I’m losing track, we’re doing so much all the time. I think this week coming we’re going to cover thermodynamics, aromaticity and something else?

Physics for college has been further discussions of medical physics (NMR and such) and more on gravitational fields, studying things such as binary systems. Again, pretty hard topics to end on, but I think I’m doing ok with them

Maths for college has involved parametric equations (strange but alright), more vectors (okay) and hypothesis testing (ew). We should finish the maths course this week, if not the other courses.

I’m more than okay with starting uni as online classes if that’s what’s necessary, but I’m not prepared exactly. I don’t love learning online. It’s a strange experience. Then again, it’s very relaxed, which is always a good thing imo.

That’s about all from me, how’s life for you guys? Lockdown still alright?

Spoiler

yeah, i hope it's not online classes still in september :redface:
i really liked hypothesis testing in AS stats, but i know it gets harder in A2:ninjagirl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending