The Student Room Group

Working towards a career in Architecture

My 13 year old son talks about wanting to become an architect!
Since I do not work in the field, I thought I'd try and gather some info from people who have been on this path to Uni. Were there any special courses or extra-curricular work that you all have done in secondary school that has contributed to you securing a place in Uni?
Also, what are the best universities for this course?
Reply 1
Try seeing if your colleges have integrated learning, some are allowing people to study what they want in college a few days a week instead of pointless school subjects and they just go in to do maths, English and science (I believe, not 100%)

Not my place however if he wanted to do civil engineering which is similar, he’d earn a lot more.

Either way good luck
Original post by infoseek
My 13 year old son talks about wanting to become an architect!
Since I do not work in the field, I thought I'd try and gather some info from people who have been on this path to Uni. Were there any special courses or extra-curricular work that you all have done in secondary school that has contributed to you securing a place in Uni?
Also, what are the best universities for this course?

https://www.architecture.com/-/media/files/Education/Think-Architecture-PDF.pdf Is a good general introduction to the career and path to qualification.

At 13 I would say the key thing is for your son to follow his interests. If he finds a subject interesting and enjoyable then that’s a good choice/use of his time.

Architecture is at its core a design and creative career - so giving time and effort to improve and practice his drawing and design skills is going to be key (and if he finds that isn’t enjoyable then architecture might not be a good choice - a different career in construction or a different type of career might be a better fit for him).

Riba do run exhibitions and events, mainly in London but also around the uk, that would be a good thing to get involved with to meet people and find out more.
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies. That link is really helpful, PQ.
Original post by infoseek
Thanks for your replies. That link is really helpful, PQ.

No problem. It’s great to see parents taking time to help their kids:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by biggyK
Try seeing if your colleges have integrated learning, some are allowing people to study what they want in college a few days a week instead of pointless school subjects and they just go in to do maths, English and science (I believe, not 100%)

Not my place however if he wanted to do civil engineering which is similar, he’d earn a lot more.

Either way good luck

I will ask around about this.
Thanks for the suggestion; I will throw the civil engineering topic up to him, and see if he is interested.
Reply 6
I am not from UK and I moved to here to study architecture at uni. So I'm not too aware of english secondary school. Anyway, many of my coursemates did art or graphic design/computer related stuff before uni, which is very helpfull. I was so jealous that they knew already at the beginning of uni how to use sketchup or photoshop etc. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending