The Student Room Group

Do I need 4 A-Levels for Imperial?

Well I’ve done 4 AS levels and got As in all (sciences and Maths). I hope I’ll be able to apply to imperial for a (materials) engineering degree, but I really want to drop biology. Will I be at any disadvantage by doing 3 A levels?

I know requirements only mention 3 A-levels, but I’ve heard that nearly all the students there have 4 subjects to A2. Is that true?

Thanks for any help in advance!
No it’s true. There’s absolutely no disadvantage to do 3 A levels. Doing 3 may be able to get you to them A*s which is better than 4 other grades
Reply 2
3 is fine, you won't be disadvantaged. I took four and my offer only mentioned three - I could have gotten a U in one of them and been fine.
It wouldn't surprise me if many students there had taken four subjects, but it's probably maths, further maths + two more. Some schools only offer further maths as a 4th subject, since maths and further maths are less work than two distinct subjects.
Reply 3
No, I got an offer based on 3 A-Levels and 1 AS
Lots of schools only allow/offer 3 A-levels, and unis don't want to reject applicants for things outside of their control. You won't be at a disadvantage dropping biology, and you're better off getting A*A*A* than you would be getting AAAA.
Original post by barnabusrudge
Well I’ve done 4 AS levels and got As in all (sciences and Maths). I hope I’ll be able to apply to imperial for a (materials) engineering degree, but I really want to drop biology. Will I be at any disadvantage by doing 3 A levels?

I know requirements only mention 3 A-levels, but I’ve heard that nearly all the students there have 4 subjects to A2. Is that true?

Thanks for any help in advance!

No need. I did three A levels and got into Imperial. I start in October. My brother did three A levels and is now at Cambridge.
Thanks everyone for your replies, you really have calmed me down a great lot. Sorry if it was anything too obvious, I just got a little panicky.

Quick Reply

Latest