The Student Room Group

University Society event ideas - cyber security

Poll

What types of things in a society would you be interested in? Please pick multiple things

Hi i was just wondering if any of you were to attend a cyber security society at uni what would you like to do or hear at it? or even anything you'd like a society to do in general? I need event ideas or talks to put on. Anyone studying computing or security/forensics do you have any topics you'd like covering?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
My university does/did a 'security clinic' thing open to all areas of the IT department- (so Forensics, security, networking, general CS etc) where we explicitly looked into ethical hacking.

The purpose of the group was to train everyone together, to a level at which they can then go out and do free security consultations for local businesses- who can then pay the students for any fixes that are made. It was organised for two hours each week, and consisted mainly of tutorials from other students; but also a few guest IT Security speakers.

We've had a few cool projects, like one of the IT staff bringing their mini robot each week- with the challenge being for someone to wirelessly hack and control it.

There were a fair few people attending it last I checked. I hope that gives you some ideas you can work with.
Original post by R1C3
My university does/did a 'security clinic' thing open to all areas of the IT department- (so Forensics, security, networking, general CS etc) where we explicitly looked into ethical hacking.

The purpose of the group was to train everyone together, to a level at which they can then go out and do free security consultations for local businesses- who can then pay the students for any fixes that are made. It was organised for two hours each week, and consisted mainly of tutorials from other students; but also a few guest IT Security speakers.

We've had a few cool projects, like one of the IT staff bringing their mini robot each week- with the challenge being for someone to wirelessly hack and control it.

There were a fair few people attending it last I checked. I hope that gives you some ideas you can work with.

That sounds interesting, going to make a note of it and suggest it to my society committee see if we could maybe set up something like that.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending