The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

vaanish
Thanks guys, just wondering, when do the '09 bikes come out, because i may as well wait for them if im going to buy a bike.

Autumn time normally, but depends on the make. If you wait until the 09 bikes you could probably get a good deal on an 08 bike as well as most shops try to clear them out.
Reply 261
OllyH
Mechanical disc brakes are better than V brakes...but do take a lot of effort to get set up and maintained.
You really should be looking for hyraulic discs on a bike that price now a days.
The only real advantage of V brakes is the weight saving.

I'd also have a look at the Carrera Fury and Carrera kracken bikes at halfords. This years kracken has last years Fury frame and its a nicely double butted aluminium frame.
The Fury has the best fork by a long way

I would stay away from buying off the internet (unless you've bought lots of bikes in the past and are confident of sizing) and suggest you visit as many local bike shops as you can and test ride a couple, so that you can find a frame that suits you.

Also whats your budget and what sort of riding do you hope to do (ie road, off road, commuting etc)?

It seems that disks of some sort or the other are the only option at this price range.

The Carrera Kraken looks good to me; I don’t really want to pay over £400 really. (and I don’t plan on doing really hardcore offroading so I think it will be fine for me, the thing that I’m really concerned about is it falling apart after a year like cheaper bikes do) and I’m also looking at this bike
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_271269_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_106180_crumb_33980-33957-82393_parentcategoryrn_106180# (just a quick question, why do these bikes all seem not to have trouser guards for the front gear thing, my friend rode one like that and he said it damaged his trousers pretty badly)

- It's the same one that I linked to earlier but with a different name, or so I think.

I will definitely pay a visit to my local bike shop before I buy anything (probably won’t buy anything for a few months anyway) to see what they have there

I generally ride on roads and I would commute to school as well. (It’s only 1.6 mile there)

Thanks for the help, you have been really helpful :smile:
vaanish

The Carrera Kraken looks good to me; I don’t really want to pay over £400 really. (and I don’t plan on doing really hardcore offroading so I think it will be fine for me, the thing that I’m really concerned about is it falling apart after a year like cheaper bikes do) and I’m also looking at this bike
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_271269_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_106180_crumb_33980-33957-82393_parentcategoryrn_106180# (just a quick question, why do these bikes all seem not to have trouser guards for the front gear thing, my friend rode one like that and he said it damaged his trousers pretty badly)

The trouser guard is actually called a bash guard and its main purpose is to prevent any damage to the chainring. You can get clips to put around your trousers to stop them getting ripped.
Give the Carreras a couple of months and the Fury will be below £400 and the Kraken will be below £300.

In terms of Carrera vs the GT:

The fork is the same model on each (both with rebound damping which stops the pogo stick effect of some lower models...so a good thing :smile: ) But the one on the carrera has 20mm more travel, so it may feel more upright when riding. (obviously go and test ride both)
Both have the same hydro disc brakes.
The kraken has much better 27 speed gearing.
The GT arguably has better finishing kit (ie saddle, handlebars) but thats down to personal preference/ what you like the feel of.
I'm not sure about the quality of the wheels.

If you're only commuting on road with it have you considered a hybrid/commuter? Like a carrera subway or something?
Reply 263
Has anyone done much/any dirtjumping on here?
I'm looking to get a cheap dirtjump bike but i really have no idea where to start looking =/
I haven't but if you want to ask questions about it etc look here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10033
OllyH
Autumn time normally, but depends on the make. If you wait until the 09 bikes you could probably get a good deal on an 08 bike as well as most shops try to clear them out.

Something to bear in mind is that 08 bikes are probably the best bikes to buy in terms of value for money - especially now. There are unlikely to be big reductions when 09 come out since prices are rising by ~20% due to higher labour and material costs.

For example, RRP on all Shimano parts have gone up by 20% already, which means next years bikes are gonna be more expensive, or slightly downgraded.

I'd buy 08 stuff NOW, before it all goes!
Olyy
Has anyone done much/any dirtjumping on here?
I'm looking to get a cheap dirtjump bike but i really have no idea where to start looking =/

Yeep, have done for ages, how much have you got to spend? Are you buying a complete bike or buidling one up? And 24" or 26" wheels?

Oh and Vaanish, I'd definatley look into hybrid bikes if you are going to mainly be on the road, have a look on the ridgeback and trek website about commuters/hybrids.
Reply 267
Erm, 26" wheels, around 300notes (already got a decent XC bike, but don't want to risk breaking it when at the jumps) Probably just a complete bike, as i'm not going to jumping all the time, but my friends sometimes go jumping, and it seems alot of fun
Reply 268
I just cycled 22 miles today - very happy :biggrin: Go Cycling!
Olyy
Erm, 26" wheels, around 300notes (already got a decent XC bike, but don't want to risk breaking it when at the jumps) Probably just a complete bike, as i'm not going to jumping all the time, but my friends sometimes go jumping, and it seems alot of fun

Ah right, thats not too much, the cheapest decent bike you could buy is a DMR complete of some kind with rigid forks and single speed, but thats still going to be around £500.

Have a look on southerndownhill, at 2nd hand bikes, would probabaly be able to get more for your money.

OR look into getting a BMX...?
Reply 270
Yeah, i was going to look used anyway, but had no idea what to be looking at :P

Have actually been considering a BMX, they recently built a skate park in my village, and i used to drive past the bmxers there most days to get to school,
Hmm, shall have to think about this
I'd go for a bmx then, easier to learn tricks on, although it might take you a little bit of time to get used to if you ride mtb, although after you are used to it, they are definatley better for trails and parks.
Fitbikeco. do some really nice trail bikes for a decent price, have a look on alans bmx.
Reply 272
Well I dont really want to be resticted to road only like i would be if I got a road bike, because apparenty there are some good off road spots near me and i dont want to be restricted to never be able to use them. Ill have more of a think and do some more cycling before I make more decisions.

vaanish
Well I dont really want to be resticted to road only like i would be if I got a road bike, because apparenty there are some good off road spots near me and i dont want to be restricted to never be able to use them. Ill have more of a think and do some more cycling before I make more decisions.

Ohh, definatly go for a MTB then. You can always buy some semislick tyres (I reccomend Panaracer Mach SS) for commuting, which will make road riding faster and then switch on some bigger tyres if you ever want to go off road.
Does anyone have recumbent bike? They seem really interesting, the allure of more comfort and being more aerodynamic.
steelmole
Does anyone have recumbent bike? They seem really interesting, the allure of more comfort and being more aerodynamic.

I knew a german guy who had one. I got to ride it (pretty poorley) round the carpar lol It was absolutley rapid downhill, but really hard work uphill. And they're pretty dangerous in traffic because its hard for drivers to see you, hence the flag most have on them.

I wouldn't buy one. Well actually I would if I had money to spare just for the novelty. :woo:
I'm started to time the amount of time if takes me from work to home.
I took about 35 minutes, I'm sure I could get that down to about 25.
I need to find the distance as well.
Reply 277
ocelotrevs

I need to find the distance as well.

www.mapmyrun.com
http://www.mapmyride.com/

Same thing really though!
You could get a speedometer as well to get accurate times and distances.

Latest