The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SoulfulBoy
I'm jealous!!:angry: I want that bike, that place! Grrrr... I cycle in london and I get shouted by retard drivers.:frown: But it's nice to cycle under the moonlight.

Haha! Its lovely, and very cycle-friendly. I go overkill on the bike department, most people come here riding on hardtail or rigid. So, if you're ever up, rent a bike out and hit the area! :biggrin:

Alas, cycling under the moonlight is a luxury you have I do not. :p: You could ride the fell with lights, but given the insane amount of random holes, drops, etc, its just not advisable. :rolleyes:

I do get my fair share of retard drivers, though. Not even going to go into that... :rolleyes: :angry:
Original post by MHorman
That bike is simply MINDBLOWING.

Haha! Cheers man! :smile: She's lovely, I'm so thrilled with her! :biggrin: Which, in my opinion, justifies the frankly insane amount I payed for her.
I'm happy with what I've bought, and if there was ever (in my opinion) a good enough reason to buy something, its to enjoy it, eh? :colondollar:
Original post by DH-Biker
Where is that post!?

I'll break him... :mad2:

:tongue:
Played tennis this morning so a reduced session on the turbo - 25 minutes.

Offset some of the damage caused by a likely restaurant meal this evening :cool:
Here you go, guys:

That's the 4th Picture down on page 59. Except without the insane amounts of fog... :rolleyes: :p:

Also:

That's "the playground" where my mates and I have loads of natural jumps. (Usually exempt from that view are the horses, but they shift down the fell if you scare them enough). A few friends and I have a big building project on mind to add lots more jumps, maybe a North-Shore segment down the small gully to the left and (if you see the bushes at the bottom of the worn-path there) we're going to add in some slopes there, get a bit of drifting slope-style going. :wink:
Might start a day-to-day update on it, but it'll take a while to organize land-use. Any other suggestions for what might look good there, I'm all ears. :colone:

I need to get some better picture angles; there's several large jumps, about twelve 'poppers', some simple pre-load jumps, four drop-ins, one step-up and a rather nasty BIG jump that lands on lots of rocks, so we're getting that cleared up too. Be a large 10-15 foot drop to slope. :colone:
(edited 13 years ago)
Sweet pictures :cool:

Must have been a **** load of fog/mist the other day?!

I guess DH makes perfect sense for you, seeing as you seem to have that kind of scenery and those kinds of hills/trails pretty much in your own backyard?

I live in suburbia, a flat suburbia and need to ride about 20 minutes away before I start hitting nice countryside to cycle in and hills and areas where I could potentially do some mountain biking and off-road shizzle.

Tomorrow morning I think will be turbo time. Seriously need to burn baby burn some calories in true HIIT fashion - had Chinese takeaway last night (optional) and an Indian restaurant meal (compulsory/with work) earlier this evening! Considerable damage to my body tbh, I feel and look bloated. I look pregnant ffs :colondollar:
Original post by white_haired_wizard
Sweet pictures :cool:

Must have been a **** load of fog/mist the other day?!

I guess DH makes perfect sense for you, seeing as you seem to have that kind of scenery and those kinds of hills/trails pretty much in your own backyard?

I live in suburbia, a flat suburbia and need to ride about 20 minutes away before I start hitting nice countryside to cycle in and hills and areas where I could potentially do some mountain biking and off-road shizzle.

Tomorrow morning I think will be turbo time. Seriously need to burn baby burn some calories in true HIIT fashion - had Chinese takeaway last night (optional) and an Indian restaurant meal (compulsory/with work) earlier this evening! Considerable damage to my body tbh, I feel and look bloated. I look pregnant ffs :colondollar:

Cheers again, bro! :smile:

Yeah, there was an awful lot of fog. Visibility was about 10-20 meters? Just thick as pig-**** all over the spot. But, was really quite an odd, yet nice (in a weird kind of way) experience to ride in it. Though, I did have a rather nasty episode when I was on the DH back home, and hit a two-hundred meter cloud of freezing-fog. Actually froze the residue water on my fork-housings from a puddle I'd ridden through earlier. Had to take my goggles off to see and damn near tore-out about half way down. :redface:

But yeah, it is nice to have it within a hundred meters of my home. You can see the fell-side houses of Askham at the bottom there, and about 130 meters odd down the road there is my house, so it is literally a hope, skip and a jump up and I'm there.
The only downside is that the land is owned by a Lord (very Feudal). Him and his "siblings" (i.e overlord controllers of the area) are very, very keen to preserve the land, so it is all very controlled. Seeing as what we build could technically fall under "leisure-constructs", it in itself falls under "building-development" so we need to ask very kindly to Tom (who owns the fell) if we can build.

In fairness, he's a genuinely nice guy compared to his brothers and his sister. And he's sort of sat himself on the biking scene for a while, so we get permission (as long as its not A) imposing on the scenery to a great-extent and B) "safe" (:colondollar:) ) a lot of the time. I do need to go over some of the plans we've had for the playground though; and as the trails you can see leading down there are all VERY, VERY popular with walkers, we'll see how that turns out.

Ahh, being 20 minutes away calls for a drive, then? :p: If that was me, I'd pack up a pick-up with mates and I's bikes and let rip for the day. :colone: Which we do when we want to go PROPER DH'ing. :biggrin: Or, when we go and build stuff. Which is equally fun and I'd readily suggest. Haha!

'Twas only two meals. :colondollar: Shouldn't A) take you to long, or B) be necessary. :p: I've got a sinking feeling I've eaten my own body-weigh (about ten times over) in fat this Winter... So if its any consolation, I'm getting considerably less air-time, considerably more dig and a **** load less power out of uphilling (which, in fairness is nigh on impossible with the bike shown above. :rolleyes:) it being a bit more heavy. :wink:
This thread has filled me up with jealousy!! I thought I had it pretty good living in Devon w/Exmoor and Dartmoor so close, but boy that's amazing. Plus your bike is just sex on wheels.

Edit: On a plus note I bought a new (well second hand but only used twice) bike this week. It's actually the right size for me which is kinda useful... (was using my dads before and he's a good half a foot taller than me, but tbf i do have stupidly long legs but still...). Will post some pics when I get it home and clean it up and everything :suith:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1188
Original post by Serentonin
This thread has filled me up with jealousy!! I thought I had it pretty good living in Devon w/Exmoor and Dartmoor so close, but boy that's amazing. Plus your bike is just sex on wheels.

Edit: On a plus note I bought a new (well second hand but only used twice) bike this week. It's actually the right size for me which is kinda useful... (was using my dads before and he's a good half a foot taller than me, but tbf i do have stupidly long legs but still...). Will post some pics when I get it home and clean it up and everything :suith:

Hurry up, clean it and post pics!! :biggrin:

Welcome to our latest member, Tea lady :hi: :biggrin:
Original post by Serentonin

Haha! Thank you muchly. :colondollar:

Dartmoor's fantastic! Miles upon miles of singletrack! :biggrin: I'd shred those for days on end, man! :biggrin: Probably kill some poor XC'er in the process, (would NOT be the first time I've almost killed a XC'er... *shivers*), but it'd be awesome anyway! :colone:

If its only been used twice, bargain! :biggrin: Make sure to give it a thorough check over, though. Its very rare, but sometimes bikes come with faults themselves, and depending on where you got this bike from, its worth a check just incase. Like I said, its a very, very rare thing; but you don't want to be halfway down a hill and fine the frame has a crack in it.
I almost killed the guy I bought my DJ bike off for doing that. My case was the only one that's happened within the people I know who ride. So again, once in a blue-moon thing. But better to be safe then sorry by checking over a bike which takes 5 mins. :colondollar:
Original post by dhr90
Hurry up, clean it and post pics!! :biggrin:

Welcome to our latest member, Tea lady :hi: :biggrin:

We have a new member? Has been a while... Its been a while... There seems to be a decreasing number of bikers on TSR... :frown:
I'm still here but have had to cut down on the cycling recently. Still get out on sundays but not going as far as i used to...

Just a small blast the 6/7k to ASDA and then back again...

Funny moment today was i went to cycle off a pavement(was a cyclepath) onto the road and went to pop the front up to land nicely but am too used to riding my motorbike lately so ripped the front up and ended up wheelying off the pavement in spectacular fashion. Wasn't as fun when my front slammed down about 30m down the road and i almost crashed but was good fun whilst it lasted.

Thought, bicycles are a lot less stable landing than motorbikes, i suppose my motorbike tyres is about 5 inches wide and chunky(offroad bike) and my bicycle one in an inch or so... and slick(ish)...
Original post by MHorman
I'm still here but have had to cut down on the cycling recently. Still get out on sundays but not going as far as i used to...

Just a small blast the 6/7k to ASDA and then back again...

Funny moment today was i went to cycle off a pavement(was a cyclepath) onto the road and went to pop the front up to land nicely but am too used to riding my motorbike lately so ripped the front up and ended up wheelying off the pavement in spectacular fashion. Wasn't as fun when my front slammed down about 30m down the road and i almost crashed but was good fun whilst it lasted.

Thought, bicycles are a lot less stable landing than motorbikes, i suppose my motorbike tyres is about 5 inches wide and chunky(offroad bike) and my bicycle one in an inch or so... and slick(ish)...

Go on Horman, you can jump THAT on your bike. :wink: Sure, its got thin wheels, but if you land it straight enough I'm sure it'd look spectacular. :wink:
If its any consolation, I've actually crashed off a pavement before... :rolleyes: Which has to be one of my more embarrassing biking moments...
Defeated by a 4" pavement. :'(

Go on Horman, you can jump THAT on your bike. :wink: Sure, its got thin wheels, but if you land it straight enough I'm sure it'd look spectacular. :wink:
If its any consolation, I've actually crashed off a pavement before... :rolleyes: Which has to be one of my more embarrassing biking moments...
Defeated by a 4" pavement. :'(

I could make that, I used to jump my bike, destroyed it. That's why i stole my dad's bike.

My old bike was used/abused. It was a similiar cannondale hardtail but it would be subjected to quite decent jumps.(compared to normal people, not you)

There was a 4ft drop into our sandschool with a 3 foot gap from the bank to a fence and we used to have a kicker on the edge of the bank. Would be able to hit it on the bike at about 20mph and clear the fence easily. The landing was hard with tiny crap front suspension and no rear suspension but was good fun...

I've crashed my motorbike into a pavement before(my road bike) and that's even more embaressing... It was a stupid traffic island that i didn't see when leaving the carpark at work at 10pm...

And i've crashed my offroad bike riding in a straight line before.:cool:

It was a race and it was on ice though, i came out of this dip thing and as i accelerated the back just spun round and i crashed. Looked very stupid as it was a perfectly flat/smooth section... But then another guy crashed on the same bit as i was picking up my bike so i didn't feel that stupid.
Original post by MHorman
I could make that, I used to jump my bike, destroyed it. That's why i stole my dad's bike.

My old bike was used/abused. It was a similiar cannondale hardtail but it would be subjected to quite decent jumps.(compared to normal people, not you)

There was a 4ft drop into our sandschool with a 3 foot gap from the bank to a fence and we used to have a kicker on the edge of the bank. Would be able to hit it on the bike at about 20mph and clear the fence easily. The landing was hard with tiny crap front suspension and no rear suspension but was good fun...

I've crashed my motorbike into a pavement before(my road bike) and that's even more embaressing... It was a stupid traffic island that i didn't see when leaving the carpark at work at 10pm...

And i've crashed my offroad bike riding in a straight line before.:cool:

It was a race and it was on ice though, i came out of this dip thing and as i accelerated the back just spun round and i crashed. Looked very stupid as it was a perfectly flat/smooth section... But then another guy crashed on the same bit as i was picking up my bike so i didn't feel that stupid.

Haha! Jumps always seem really short when you're in the air, don't they? :p: Looking at them you just think; "well this is clearly a ****ing idiotic idea!" :colondollar:

My style of jumping isn't that large. :wink: I like doing them, but we all start off on small. :colone: There are still small jumps I wouldn't do, though.
For example, a road-gap near where I live drops you 8 feet over 16 feet, and I wont even go near it. Whereas people who've been biking for days hit it right off. :dontknow: Then of course there's events like the Red Bull Rampage - which is frankly insane (you should have a look at that. :wink:) - And then there's the 50 foot drop to slope at Morzine... Equally wouldn't even approach it. :cool:

If it was at 10pm, at least there would've been LESS people there then there would've been in the morning, eh? :wink: Still would've been embarrassing, but not on the scale of dozens of cars filled with gawping passengers. :p:

I've crashed on a flat before too. Was after a jump, came down onto the slope and when it leveled out the bike just leant over... :s-smilie: Came off at that. =/ Which was surprisingly sore. :frown:

By the way, question (for anyone really) - Worst accident you've done on a bike? Just out of interest? :colondollar:
I've just been for my first bike ride in 10 years, and my legs now feel like lead weights.. does that mean I can join?!
Embarrassingly crashed after going over a single leaf on the road bike. Nature. She's scary man.

Happy riding guys and gals. x
Reply 1197
We have a new member? Has been a while... Its been a while... There seems to be a decreasing number of bikers on TSR... :frown:

We probably get one about once a week on average, but sometimes they never seem to come and say hello, just want to join the society :s-smilie: I think the new member requests only appear for me so as a deputy you would never see the notifications.

When the warmer/sunnier weather arrives we may get more people here.

Does anyone work in a bike shop? Or know of someone working in one? If so what do you/they charge to repair a puncture? I only have metal tyre levers here which I dislike and it is so damned difficult to get the tyre off that if it isn't going to cost me much I'd rather get a shop to do it for me than have the hassle/cost of breaking plastic levers myself :colondollar:
Original post by dhr90
We probably get one about once a week on average, but sometimes they never seem to come and say hello, just want to join the society :s-smilie: I think the new member requests only appear for me so as a deputy you would never see the notifications.

When the warmer/sunnier weather arrives we may get more people here.

Does anyone work in a bike shop? Or know of someone working in one? If so what do you/they charge to repair a puncture? I only have metal tyre levers here which I dislike and it is so damned difficult to get the tyre off that if it isn't going to cost me much I'd rather get a shop to do it for me than have the hassle/cost of breaking plastic levers myself :colondollar:

They sometimes do it for nothing if you want to see how it's done (e.g. a demonstration).

The job only takes around 5 minutes - £3 would probably be correct though it is something you should be able to easily do (I find tablespoons are excellent tyre levers).
Original post by Gemma :)!
I've just been for my first bike ride in 10 years, and my legs now feel like lead weights.. does that mean I can join?!

Ask DHR90. :smile: As far as I'm concerned, a person who's ridden once is a cyclist. :cool:

Latest