The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Low Profile
The last hill was a B****, about 70% walked, basically whole thing has to be in 1st gear in 2nd left hand gear(if you understand what I mean). I walked the last 1/4 as I felt pretty dead already.

Last hill is ditchling beacon. It's not too bad. It's like 4 miles from my uni campus and i used to cycle up it all the time...

My mate from the gym was out cycling at the same time as all you london-Brighton lot and he said that most people were walking it....

But than again, he'd only cycled 20 miles to this point whereas you lot had cycled like 50...
Original post by Low Profile
The route?
It was for the British Heart Foundation, there was thousands doing it. I filmed 10 minutes with my helmet cam before it stopped functioning.

The bike was Trek 7.3 Fx. Oh and yes I did forget to stretch so I had to stop twice :rolleyes:

well done. It does anger me when I see cyclists/idiots not wearing helmets, though.
Reply 1782
Original post by white_haired_wizard
well done. It does anger me when I see cyclists/idiots not wearing helmets, though.

Agree. I'm still new to cycling but I don't understand why people take the risk.
Reply 1783
Original post by dhr90

Do you like pain or something?! :eek:

I pushed up (and then rode back down) a 22%er if I remember correctly on holiday once. There was no way I was going to ride a 20-25kg up that hill!!!

Went out for an offroad cycle today. Good fun but I never realised how unfit I was!! Although overly fat tyres in thick gloopy mud didn't help, nor does a truely heavy bike :frown:

We ended up pushing from about halfway, each having 20-25kg + heavy bikes... Not something I'd happily do every day...

I always tell myself I'm unfit even though I'm probably not, but it's only road riding for me, I have been thinking about getting a hardtail for a year or so, but I have my heart set on an ex-colleagues massively pimped rigid Charge Duster, at last look it was full XTR (yumeya), wheels and all... Carbon forks & all titanium bolts... One day!!

My road bike is currently about 8.5kgs... But mud will slow everyone down!!
Me and my firends got a GoPro camera to film our cycling holiday in france next month, we have been testing it out and if anyones interested here's our youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamCNL Havn't been able to do much interesting with it of late due to exams :frown:
Reply 1785
Anyone going to Critical Mass tonight? :biggrin:
Reply 1786
Original post by moose
Anyone going to Critical Mass tonight? :biggrin:

No :frown: I'm in Cornwall...
Reply 1787
Original post by owliver
No :frown: I'm in Cornwall...

Boooo...

I've been saying I would go since last year so I really should make the effort to :colondollar:
Reply 1788
Original post by moose
Boooo...

I've been saying I would go since last year so I really should make the effort to :colondollar:

I'll o when I'm back in London. Next term... (: for the first TSR CycSoc outing perhaps?
Reply 1789
Original post by owliver
I'll o when I'm back in London. Next term... (: for the first TSR CycSoc outing perhaps?

Sure, as you can see I didn't go..

Dinner was ready and my body aches from football, plus it's raining quite a bit so it's not that bad I missed it :biggrin:
Reply 1790
Original post by moose
Sure, as you can see I didn't go..

Dinner was ready and my body aches from football, plus it's raining quite a bit so it's not that bad I missed it :biggrin:

Hah, I was going to cycle to lands end this morning, but the family decided to take us to other places... So no riding for me. I was thinking of doing Cambridge/Bournemouth later in the summer... 150mi in a day should be possible, no?

Has anyone else here done supremely long distances in a day? My longest has been 120k ('scuse the switch from miles to clicks, I was in Germany at the time...) that was fully loaded, with lots of rain, straight down the Rhine
Reply 1791
Hello everyone!

I've acquired an old single speed bike that I'm going to be using for my uni commute in London. I've already used it a bit and it's quite nice, although I'm thinking about converting (perhaps not the best word) it to a geared bike.

I also want to paint it. Has anyone here ever done this themselves? Or how much should I look to be spending for it to be done properly?
Reply 1792
Original post by PJ991
Hello everyone!

I've acquired an old single speed bike that I'm going to be using for my uni commute in London. I've already used it a bit and it's quite nice, although I'm thinking about converting (perhaps not the best word) it to a geared bike.

I also want to paint it. Has anyone here ever done this themselves? Or how much should I look to be spending for it to be done properly?

I want to say armourtex for painting, they charge £60 and have a 3 day turnaround. Also a quick Internet search brought up an lfgss page, my phone won't let me copypasta... But google 'lfgss paolo paint' and you should find it.

Edit: £60 is about right for a stove enamel jobby, There's a place in Cambridge that took 6 weeks to do my frame, it cost £60, so it must be a regular price? And don't forget you'll need totally dismantle it... (:

As for converting to geared, it'll cos quite a bit, and probably isn't worth it. I actually converted to fixed after being in London for a while, but that's because I snapped an axle pulling away from lights and had a nice set of fixed wheels at home... Was it originally ss? Are there cable hangers & a mech hanger on it now and would you have to add one? Would it be easier to buy a secondhand 3spd hub and make that work? Ach, so many questions! Post a pic of it!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1793
Thanks for the paint info., I'll look into it now. The current paint job is a bit tacky. (graduated change from red forks, to orange and yellow at the back.)

I'll take a photo tomorrow when it's light and I'm not in bed. It was apparently geared at some point before the old man I bought it off converted it to ss but I don't think the hangers are on it. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're not.
Reply 1794
Original post by PJ991
Thanks for the paint info., I'll look into it now. The current paint job is a bit tacky. (graduated change from red forks, to orange and yellow at the back.)

I'll take a photo tomorrow when it's light and I'm not in bed. It was apparently geared at some point before the old man I bought it off converted it to ss but I don't think the hangers are on it. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're not.

Ouch. I would really recommend going somewhere to get the job done, I've seen so many bikes come into the shop, and around Cambride (and London for that matter) that have just been casually sprayed and it's horrible. Even if you do take your time on the job, it's really hard to get a nice finish!

If the hangers aren't there it's not a massive problem, depending of the age of the parts you're putting on, you won't necessarily need a hanger that's attached, i've gf an old raleigh whose frame is hangerless and the hanger is held on by the pressure of the skewer/ wheel nuts, it's a bitch if anything slips... But t does the job!

Good luck! Hope we can help some more if/when you need it (:
Reply 1795
Original post by owliver
Hah, I was going to cycle to lands end this morning, but the family decided to take us to other places... So no riding for me. I was thinking of doing Cambridge/Bournemouth later in the summer... 150mi in a day should be possible, no?

Has anyone else here done supremely long distances in a day? My longest has been 120k ('scuse the switch from miles to clicks, I was in Germany at the time...) that was fully loaded, with lots of rain, straight down the Rhine

150mi for a whole day? It's possible if you're up to the fitness level. I'm not there yet, I used to be doing 60 miles a day before I stopped. That was with a heavy mountain bike with 2.1" tyres. I've got 1.5" ones now and my bike isn't as heavy anymore though :biggrin:

Don't know about being fully loaded though, I did carry a backpack with quite alot of bike tools and tubes and water if that counts.
Reply 1796
Does anyone know anything about advanced frame geometry? How it affects your ride etc... I want to build myself a near perfect frame somewhere between my road bike and fixie... But I'm not sure how I should merge the two bikes... I should really go and get fitted... Does anyone know of somewhere that'll do it free of charge?
Thanks Guys & Girls!
Nice to see this thread is a bit more alive now; afternoon guys! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1798
Original post by JLXP
Nice to see this thread is a bit more alive now; afternoon guys! :smile:

Good afternoon :biggrin:
Original post by owliver
Good afternoon :biggrin:

How're you? :biggrin:

Latest