The Student Room Group

Apply for Masters in Data Science or look for jobs related to it?

I graduated with a Mathematics degree last year. Since then I haven’t been successful in a full-time job which is a shame but oh well.

My position right now is that I work part-time but I’ve applied to be a Teacher Assistant just to gain experience in a learning environment and there’s not as much workload outside of school hours.

I’m still unsure on the graduate job role I want to REALLY go for. My mum has advised me to still apply for a Masters for this academic year so whilst working in this TA role I could ‘boost my CV.’ I feel that a Masters in Data Science would help my job applications for IT-related roles however I am under the belief that it might be better to just continue applying for jobs whilst being a TA and not take out a Postgrad Loan.

I don’t have any experience in the IT and Finance sector roles and have also contemplated doing PGCE Maths next academic year to gain a QTS.

It’s all a bit of a mess in my head... the biggest question is whether a Masters in Data/Computer Science would really benefit me in the long-run coming from a Mathematical background OR should I focus on making as much money as I can whilst looking for jobs or schemes in Finance and IT.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
First question - do you want to work in teaching, IT, computers or as a data scientist? I guess you are interested in all - any preferences?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
First question - do you want to work in teaching, IT, computers or as a data scientist? I guess you are interested in all - any preferences?

There’s no huge favourable sector. If I had to specify something, I’d put teaching a bit lower than the others
Reply 3
Well, why not just apply for loads of jobs and see how you get on and what you learn from the process? Perhaps work in some programming in your free time which will help in lots of fields.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Well, why not just apply for loads of jobs and see how you get on and what you learn from the process? Perhaps work in some programming in your free time which will help in lots of fields.

So is Masters in Computer/Data Science not the way to go?
Reply 5
Original post by jtets
So is Masters in Computer/Data Science not the way to go?

It may be, especially if part time. I’m a bit cautious about taking career related masters degrees unless you are pretty confident that the career is what you want to do and that you are taking a course which will get you there.

The benefit in applying for jobs is you get a better idea of what employers really want, and how your existing skills fit in with their requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending