The Student Room Group

People who are intelligent are ugly.

By intelligent i mean doing well in school/ a-levels and gcses. (Although some people maybe not agree that this shows intelligence)

Looking around school, people in the further maths groups, or physics, or just generally the people who do well in their public exams, usually are ugly and even fat.

Maybe its to do with the fact that..someone better looking would have more of a social life, thus spend more time studying?

Im not saying i agree but

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its true to some extent but you have some fit looking intelligent ppl out there.
Reply 2
sloaney87
By intelligent i mean doing well in school/ a-levels and gcses. (Although some people maybe not agree that this shows intelligence)
Looking around school, people in the further maths groups, or physics, or just generally the people who do well in their public exams, usually are ugly and even fat.
Maybe its to do with the fact that..someone better looking would have more of a social life, thus spend more time studying?
Im not saying i agree but
Discuss.

Pulchritude is in the Eyes of the Beholder.
I totally disagree. Looks has nothing to do with how intelligent you are whatsoever. That's just stereotyping.
erm no, the fittest girl at my old school was also one of the most intelligent, and if you were intelligent you would realise that beauty is totally subjective so how are you defining it?
Not true - at my public school, some of the ones who do best are good-looking. Some people have said I am, but I beg to disagree.
lol, what an odd observation to make...

I actually find that positive attributes are unfairly dished out; beautiful people tend to be better academically, in sport, socially and in other extra-curricular activities. I guess this is probably because they are treated more positively their whole school careers so are probably more confident and get more positive attention than their less-attractive peers.
PeoplesPrincess

I actually find that positive attributes are unfairly dished out; beautiful people tend to be better academically, in sport, socially and in other extra-curricular activities. I guess this is probably because they are treated more positively their whole school careers so are probably more confident and get more positive attention than their less-attractive peers.

That's true - physical attractiveness helps in all situations as you make a good impression. People will be more likely to help you and so on.
Reply 8
i'd have to disagree. Many smart people in my school with 7,8,9 + A* GCSE grades (me included) are not ugly, just normal I would have said - the usual tall dark and hansom
wow got some modest people on this thread
But there are some attractive students in Oxford University...:biggrin:
Reply 11
delta goodrem has an IQ of 134
Reply 12
come to my maths lectures

there are some really good looking girls there!
Reply 13
NDGAARONDI
But there are some attractive students in Oxford University...:biggrin:

mmm.. indeed there are.. :tongue:
Reply 14
Yeah, I would agree, and I had a really good argument to suggest why as well, but I've forgotten what it was. Had genes in it.
PeoplesPrincess

I actually find that positive attributes are unfairly dished out; beautiful people tend to be better academically, .

ever been to imperial college london or Cambridge?
Reply 16
HaggenDaZ

i think using ICL as an example might bring in another element to the discussion though.. in that it's purely science..

so, are artists or scientists better looking? i shall hedge my bets as a 'psuedo-scientist'.. :tongue:

& i can see the argument with genes..
maybe something like less physically attractive people work harder to compensate in other ways, including academically & thus come into contact with others doing the same & reproduce?
maybe the fit people have boyf/gilfrs keep distracting them.
maybe ugly peopple percieved to be intelligent cos of fat/ugly stereotype, but actually me and my boyf are studying law and are quite ok looking and got As/Bs in science alevels. so i guess its just steroetype
HaggenDaZ

Have you?
Reply 19
no true, i'm beautiful and smart :wink: :rolleyes:

seriousley though, you can't say something like that cause it doesn't apply for everyone. someone i think look great you might find ugly. so therefore there are people that are ugly and smart, others that are smart and beautiful and some stupid and ugly and not to forget stupid and beautiful. it depends on whos looking.

Latest

Trending

Trending