The Student Room Group

Fed up of uni

Advice pls! :smile:

I've just started my final year at uni. I'm a 3rd-year student but this is my 4th year of study due to changing course after first year.

I've only had a few lectures but already I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to get through this year. I definitely don't want to drop out as I've worked hard to get to where I am but it just makes me sad seeing people that were in the same school year as me (incl. my boyfriend) graduating and getting full-time jobs which I should've been doing this year too.

Also, the past year of uni (2018/19) was the hardest for me yet due to anxiety etc. and my attendance was quite bad although I still somehow ended up getting a first. I think that has made me worried for this year too. I don't really mind doing the work, it's just the actual going out and attending lectures & seminars that I can't be bothered with/find difficult.

I've just lost all motivation for uni and can't wait for the year to be over already. How do I get back my motivation so I can still graduate with a first and enjoy my final year?
Reply 1
i wouldn't envy your boyfriend and friends now graduated and working full-time jobs. full-time jobs is tres stressful as you are no longer your own boss, you have people relying on you, and there's no option of not attending work just 'cause you're tired or don't feel like it. enjoy school while you can!

the next year is going to fly by and i would suggest attending lectures because this may be your last opportunity if you don't do postgrad. if you honestly want to 'motivate' yourself, do not make not attending class optional. right now it's your backup plan for when you don't feel like doing the opposite.

what's giving you anxiety and are you doing anything to get through it?
Reply 2
Original post by Joleee
i wouldn't envy your boyfriend and friends now graduated and working full-time jobs. full-time jobs is tres stressful as you are no longer your own boss, you have people relying on you, and there's no option of not attending work just 'cause you're tired or don't feel like it. enjoy school while you can!

the next year is going to fly by and i would suggest attending lectures because this may be your last opportunity if you don't do postgrad. if you honestly want to 'motivate' yourself, do not make not attending class optional. right now it's your backup plan for when you don't feel like doing the opposite.

what's giving you anxiety and are you doing anything to get through it?

Thanks for your reply :smile:

I know I shouldn't envy them, I just feel a bit left out. And I definitely won't be doing a masters that's for sure lol. But you're right, I need to stop thinking of attending uni as optional.

As for my anxiety, I've always been a shy person and in the past year or so there have been a lot more interactive lectures/seminars at uni which I tend to avoid because I hate speaking in large groups. I spend more time worrying the whole lecture that I'm going to get picked on than I do actually taking in the lecture content, hence why I prefer going over stuff on my own.

I also struggle sometimes because I don't have many friends on my course - it's been hard to make permanent friends because I have a different class for every module. And annoyingly, I didn't make much of an effort to make many new friends at the start of this course as I already had quite a few friends from my old course, but they've all now graduated. I think I would look forward to uni much more if I did have people to sit with etc!

I've spoken to my personal tutor about it so she understands why I don't attend things all the time but I haven't really done anything else.
Put in the effort and do your best to get a top degree and graduate with flying colours.

I'm on a gap year after A-Levels right now, I honestly don't feel so disheartened by everyone going to University (primarily because 90% of them hate it lol). Fundamentally, they're getting a full-time job before you but you're going to be working your whole life anyway.. If anything you should enjoy your last year, put in work and also have as much fun as you can. This is your last ever year in the education system so go out with a bang. There's nothing to be envious about because you're all ultimately working towards the same goal. Have the best year ever and make it memorable. I'm sure there's people resitting A-Levels and behind a year, or having started Uni late on a gap year or even doing a postgraduate degree and they're in the same position as you but at the end of the day you're going to get the same qualification (a degree) and go into employment, no problem with finishing later than others at all.

You've worked so hard to get to third year. Do not give up now.

Work hard, have fun and stay motivated. Xox.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by cheerIeader
Put in the effort and do your best to get a top degree and graduate with flying colours.

I'm on a gap year after A-Levels right now, I honestly don't feel so disheartened by everyone going to University (primarily because 90% of them hate it lol). Fundamentally, they're getting a full-time job before you but you're going to be working your whole life anyway.. If anything you should enjoy your last year, put in work and also have as much fun as you can. This is your last ever year in the education system so go out with a bang. There's nothing to be envious about because you're all ultimately working towards the same goal. Have the best year ever and make it memorable. I'm sure there's people resitting A-Levels and behind a year, or having started Uni late on a gap year or even doing a postgraduate degree and they're in the same position as you but at the end of the day you're going to get the same qualification (a degree) and go into employment, no problem with finishing later than others at all.

You've worked so hard to get to third year. Do not give up now.

Work hard, have fun and stay motivated. Xox.

Thank you so much, I think that's just what I needed to hear! 😊
Challenge yourself. Social anxiety follows you into the workplace so deal with it now.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much, I think that's just what I needed to hear! 😊

No problem at all. xx

Everyone's going to end up going into employment after graduation, think of the extra year as a blessing to find yourself, search for graduate jobs and enjoy the people around you because nobody is actually going anywhere nor is any job nor any friends. I wish you all the success. <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending