The Student Room Group

Is it worth studying law at a non russell group university?

I only have BBB A Levels but I am considering studying law at university. Are employees choosy about the university you go to even if you achieve a good grade? I wouldn't be able to get into any russell group with my grades but I really want to study law.

Thank you for any advise :smile:
Original post by h5555
I only have BBB A Levels but I am considering studying law at university. Are employees choosy about the university you go to even if you achieve a good grade? I wouldn't be able to get into any russell group with my grades but I really want to study law.

Do you already have BBB at A level?

They're not bad grades, not the best obviously but there are still plenty of firms that will accept people with BBB if other aspects of their application are good. Things like your degree classification and law related work experience gained at uni will be more important than the actual uni you go to. Just pick a decent one like Lancaster, Leicester, Liverpool, Kent, Reading, Sussex, Surrey, Southampton, Cardiff, SOAS .... they are all likely to make you offers with BBB and some of them are even RG, not that that is vitally important.

Edited to say you could also consider Royal Holloway and UEA, they are another two who say they are looking for higher grades but may well accept BBB in reality
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
Do you already have BBB at A level?

They're not bad grades, not the best obviously but there are still plenty of firms that will accept people with BBB if other aspects of their application are good. Things like your degree classification and law related work experience gained at uni will be more important than the actual uni you go to. Just pick a decent one like Lancaster, Leicester, Liverpool, Kent, Reading, Sussex, Surrey, Southampton, Cardiff, SOAS .... they are all likely to make you offers with BBB and some of them are even RG, not that that is vitally important.

Edited to say you could also consider Royal Holloway and UEA, they are another two who say they are looking for higher grades but may well accept BBB in reality

Yes I did my A Levels 2 years ago. I went to university but after one year I decided to leave as I didn't like the course/subject. Thank you for the advise. Do you think Nottingham Trent and De Monfort are ok options as well as they are BBB entry grades? Then apply for two universities you suggested which require higher grades?
Reply 4
Original post by h5555
Yes I did my A Levels 2 years ago. I went to university but after one year I decided to leave as I didn't like the course/subject. Thank you for the advise. Do you think Nottingham Trent and De Monfort are ok options as well as they are BBB entry grades? Then apply for two universities you suggested which require higher grades?

I think they are too low for you! Seriously, why go for De Montfort when you could get into Leicester uni with BBB? I know it's confusing because a lot of unis aren't transparent about what grades they will really accept but all the ones I listed would likely make you an offer! Even if the odd one surprised me and didn't ....as long as you have one safe option you know you will be ok.

This is what unis actually accepted people with this year in Clearing ....there's no guarantee it will be exactly the same next year but it is a good time to be an applicant at the moment and the unis are fighting to get decent students. With achieved grades of BBB, you can do better!

Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB reportedly accepted BBC
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC/BCC UEA, RHUL, Keele, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Sheffield Hallam BBC
QMUL indicative grade requirement of AAA
SOAS LLB BBB/BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
Oxford Brookes LLB 96 UCAS points
Newcastle LLB ABB
Cardiff .....LLB ABB reportedly BBC
Swansea......LLB negotiable
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving BBB reportedly BBC
Original post by h5555

I assumed OP was talking about being employed in law.
Original post by h5555

Hey!
Have you considered the University of Kent for law at all? Their current entry requirements are AAA-ABB and they were in Clearing this year so there is a chance you could get an offer with your current grades! :smile: Kent is well-renowned for Law despite not being a Russell Group university and is currently in the top 20 in the country.
I don't know much about Law careers specifically, but I've certainly found that employers pay a lot of attention to your grade and then consider your university second, if at all, to compare you to other applicants.
If you're interested, there's an Open Day at Kent coming up on Saturday 19th October, which could be a good chance to talk to some current students about how they have found getting employment opportunities after studying at a non-RG university. If you can't make it, then you can use the Unibuddy online programme at Kent where you can find a current student studying Law and speak to them about how they've found the course and what employment opportunities they're looking into :smile: Here is the link.

I hope that this helps! If you have any questions about the University of Kent then please feel free to ask :biggrin: Good luck with your university search!
Hello h5555,
I hope you're doing fine so far.
In regards to your main question, I can suggest using the following guidelines;

Universities you're applying to:
A level subjects:
GCSE grades:

Which course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Which career?
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-match
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree

Career profiles
https://www.planitplus.net/JobProfiles?letter=A
https://www.myworldofwork.co.uk/my-career-options/job-profiles
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers

Alternatively, you can call/email the unis you're considering.
Hope this helps and do feel free to let us know how you get on.

Kind Regards,
Jon
It's just not as clear cut as people seem to think but OP seems to have disappeared anyway :frown:
In all fairness I don’t think many people cite CS anymore, the poster seemed to be a on-off case

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending