The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

steffi.alexa
Can someone give me some advice?

I want to tone up, and everyone's saying that weights are a good idea, but I haven't got a clue how to go about it! I can use those weight machine things easily (I think anyone who can look at the diagrams can), but are those the best things to use or not? I have 2 gyms that I can use...

i have no idea about weights! :s-smilie:, but yeh we can get for 6th form together! Whats your weight and target weight? Me= currently 10 stone and want to be 9 stone by 6th form! x
Smile-Like-You-Mean-It
i have no idea about weights! :s-smilie:, but yeh we can get for 6th form together! Whats your weight and target weight? Me= currently 10 stone and want to be 9 stone by 6th form! x

Ideally, I'd actually like to gain weight. I'm 135lbs at the moment, and 5'10", so my BMI is a bit low. But I want to be able to fit size 8s properly again (I am not buying new clothes lol). Also, I want to look great for 6th form - I'm kinda treating it like a new start, I'm going to actually be me and I'm not going to stay friends with people because I'm too scared of what'll happen if I don't etc, so looking better for that would also help boost my confidence.

EDIT: Being very bored, I decided to work out my BMI using an online calculator. The result came up saying: "You have a BMI of 19.37. Try this pink patch." under an advert for that pink weight loss patch... I feel kinda upset now...
steffi.alexa
Ideally, I'd actually like to gain weight. I'm 135lbs at the moment, and 5'10", so my BMI is a bit low. But I want to be able to fit size 8s properly again (I am not buying new clothes lol). Also, I want to look great for 6th form - I'm kinda treating it like a new start, I'm going to actually be me and I'm not going to stay friends with people because I'm too scared of what'll happen if I don't etc, so looking better for that would also help boost my confidence.

o right cool. yeh im treating it like a new start too!
to lose weight would it be okay to run every day? well this would be my plan each day:
run- 40 mins
cycle- 20 mins
ballet -30 mins
this would burn 500 at least then i would cut 500 from my diet. Hopefully this would equate to 2lb per week! x
Smile-Like-You-Mean-It
how long did it take to lose 2.5 stone? x

Since end of Feb/beginning of March... so about 4 months. Although I've lost about 18lb of that since the beginning of May...
Urgh, the power's going off tomorrow meaning I can't cook or heat anything up! Does anyone have any ideas for meals without the use of a cooker or microwave? (apart from sandwiches lol)
steffi.alexa
Urgh, the power's going off tomorrow meaning I can't cook or heat anything up! Does anyone have any ideas for meals without the use of a cooker or microwave? (apart from sandwiches lol)

cook up some rice/pasta tonight while you have power then just eat it cold tomorrow. Its quite nice, despite what it sounds! x
steffi.alexa

Cold meat salad
Full of protein, part of your 5 a day and you can have it with cold pasta and cuscus. Bargain. Cold pasta tuna and mayo (with ketchup) is another favourite of mine.
Lady Venom
Cold meat salad
Full of protein, part of your 5 a day and you can have it with cold pasta and cuscus. Bargain. Cold pasta tuna and mayo (with ketchup) is another favourite of mine.

Okay, thanks. Jeez, sometimes I think I'm so stupid - totally forgot there was such a thing as pasta! Luckily, I won't have to cook any either as we're having some for dinner.

Also, what's your opinion on those weight machine things (lol) in the gym? My gym has loads of them and I was wondering if they're that good.
steffi.alexa
Okay, thanks. Jeez, sometimes I think I'm so stupid - totally forgot there was such a thing as pasta! Luckily, I won't have to cook any either as we're having some for dinner.

Also, what's your opinion on those weight machine things (lol) in the gym? My gym has loads of them and I was wondering if they're that good.

Free weights are better as you are able to use your OWN body's plane of movement rather than those stipulated by the machines. I personally am not a fan. I've seen quicker fat loss and muscle gains using free weights. Don't be afraid or embarrassed. Read up before you go here:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

You'll get such a buzz you will wonder why you didn't start earlier. Make sure you have a day off in between and you eat nice and clean. Remember, your body will need energy to function to be able to shift the fat.

I've linked you to the directory however the beginners page is quite good as is the workout creation page and also this workout page.
shouldi i join a gym? do you think i would lose more weight joining a gym than not?
opinions? x
Smile-Like-You-Mean-It
shouldi i join a gym? do you think i would lose more weight joining a gym than not?
opinions? x

Ideally yes, because you can therefore use weights which = the quickest and most effective form of fat loss. See my post above with all the links in it.

You can lose weight by doing just cardio but you'll have to do a hell of a lot and I personally don't think you get such a good body.

Having done both - pure cardio and also a good mix, I have to say I'm skinnier now however I still have curves. I looked positively anorexic doing just cardio (bit like Paul Radcliffe's body).
Thanks!
Lady Venom
Free weights are better as you are able to use your OWN body's plane of movement rather than those stipulated by the machines. I personally am not a fan. I've seen quicker fat loss and muscle gains using free weights. Don't be afraid or embarrassed.

Yeah, that might be a problem... The free weights in my gym are always surrounded by guys...But they're all very skinny lol.
Also, I am seriously worried about doing them wrong and looking like a noob/hurting myself (especially my knees, seeing as they're so close to being better).

EDIT: Looking at some of the exercises on those web pages, I'm really temoted to just buy my own weights and do it at home but, 1) It'd be a waste of my gym membership 2) There'll be no one there to tell me if I'm doing it wrong (some of the instructors there seem to know what they're doing...others don't of course lol) 3) I'll never gain the confidence I would just braving it and doing it at the gym... Also, it'd be expensive...
Reply 212
I've got dumbbells, so firstly, is it enough to do just exercises with them listed on that site, or would a barbell etc be better?

And are there any good quality/cheap benches for sale? I'm sure most of the cheap ones will fall apart after a while...
steffi.alexa
Thanks!

Yeah, that might be a problem... The free weights in my gym are always surrounded by guys...But they're all very skinny lol.
Also, I am seriously worried about doing them wrong and looking like a noob/hurting myself (especially my knees, seeing as they're so close to being better).

EDIT: Looking at some of the exercises on those web pages, I'm really want to just buy my own weights and do it at home but, 1) It'd be a waste of my gym membership 2) There'll be no one there to tell me if I'm doing it wrong (some of the instructors there seem to know what they're doing...others don't of course lol) 3) I'll never gain the confidence I would just braving it and doing it at the gym... Also, it'd be expensive...

Get the gym membership. I just stick my ipod in to block out the world and if the guys stare, I stare back. Just take things slowly and just be confident and no one wil say anything. Seriously, you should see the looks I get when I rack up to do squats - it's hilarious.

If anything it will help your knees - if you just take things slowly. Most of the boys are so worried about looking good infront of their peers that they just pick up heavy DBs and have rubbish form.
Okay so here is todays diet and exercise:
breakfast: bran flakes, milk
snack:green tea + anything low cal to keep metabolism going? i think we've run our of fruit! :s-smilie:
lunch: jacket potato and some salad
dinner: spicy red lentil soup + bread roll
desert: fruit

nothing after 7.30pm!

exercise:
30 minute run - just done!
20 minutes on bike
20 minutes dancing

if i do this every day will i lose 2lbs a week?
x
Hi everyone :biggrin:

I'm just getting back into doing exercise after being ill and banned from doing anything for the past 7/8 months :eek: I want to get fit again so that I can trial for sports teams at uni and I'd like to tone up again (the body fat % at the moment cannot be good :wink:)

I don't want to build a great deal of muscle mass though, so can anyone suggest what I should be doing? I've done a bit of running and I go on the cross trainer every day, but I'd like to get back into swimming too...is that OK do you reckon? Thanks :smile:
Smile-Like-You-Mean-It
Okay so here is todays diet and exercise:
breakfast: bran flakes, milk
snack:green tea + anything low cal to keep metabolism going? i think we've run our of fruit! :s-smilie:
lunch: jacket potato and some salad
dinner: spicy red lentil soup + bread roll
desert: fruit

nothing after 7.30pm!

exercise:
30 minute run - just done!
20 minutes on bike
20 minutes dancing

if i do this every day will i lose 2lbs a week?
x

Where's the protein?! Lean meat? Lean fish?
You need another meal in there. Have something an hour or so after dinner as well.
Reply 217
LV you said your hips were 33", is that around your arse or not? I just measured mine and it's 38" (and I'm an ecto). It keeps growing, once it gets 40+ I'll have to ask you girls how to trim down my bum cause I won't be able to fit into my favourite dres.... I mean jeans.
FluxC
LV you said your hips were 33", is that around your arse or not? I just measured mine and it's 38" (and I'm an ecto). It keeps growing, once it gets 40+ I'll have to ask you girls how to trim down my bum cause I won't be able to fit into my favourite dres.... I mean jeans.

33" round my hips, not round my arse, because that's my pelvis technically.
Lady Venom
Get the gym membership. I just stick my ipod in to block out the world and if the guys stare, I stare back. Just take things slowly and just be confident and no one wil say anything. Seriously, you should see the looks I get when I rack up to do squats - it's hilarious.

If anything it will help your knees - if you just take things slowly. Most of the boys are so worried about looking good infront of their peers that they just pick up heavy DBs and have rubbish form.

I already have the gym membership, my lovely Mum pays for it (I've offered to, but she says it's fine as long as I use it). I'll probably go when it's likely to be virtually empty (which is the same time that some of the guys I know go - they'll just take the mick out of me being weak, which I can handle lol).

I don't know how good the gym is for free weights - the instructor pointed them out to me and told me to do some exercises with them for my program, but I haven't really used them because 1) the instructors scare me and they're always by the weights and 2) I got distracted by the dance mats :ninja:

I also don't know how good they are at the other gym I can go to, but chances are the entire gym will be slightly better (it's bigger than the one I use).

Thanks for the advice!

I have electricity again! :biggrin: I was going out of my mind without the computer (so many letters to type), radio (runs on batteries I found out) or lights (it's so dark here ATM) :frown:

EDIT: I go on holiday tomorrow, meaning I can't do any exercise (it's with the school, so I'm not allowed out of the hotel without a teacher). I am going swimming on Saturday, but I doubt I'll get any exercise done - there are lots of slides and stuff like that, so it's more for fun than exercise... It's a shame because I was really begining to look forward to my exercise sessions.

It also means that I have to eat what's served (not to the extent of a school ski trip I went on...But that was okay, because doing 6 hours of exercise a day meant I did not care what was in front of me)... I'm really hoping it's not chips etc. Anyone know how healthy German food tends to be? I also have to buy my own lunch - the temptation to cave and just eat chocolate biscuits is going to be so high!

I suppose at least we're walking everywhere (once we get to the hotel lol)...
As you can probably tell, I only go on holidays with school lol
Wow, long post sorry.

Latest