The Student Room Group

seneca premium. Guaranteed grades 7-9

Hi,
Im in year 11 and i have seneca premium because of the guaranteed 7-9 grades.

However i have used it but i am uncertain that the content is relevant, and im not really remembering anything

Does anybody have experiemce with seneca in the past years? If so, how useful was it, and what were the best type of courses, and should i use my time on.

Thanks in advance :smile:
I didn’t have Seneca premium but I found the free version to be useful for just memorising things. Not so much learning and understanding though, just memorising facts.
Reply 2
I use Seneca mostly to go over something briefly after the lesson - I found it didn't help in the long run x
i didn't have the guaranteed 7-9 version, but i had the like middle package for seneca premium! it was my main source of revision for biology, chem, physics, and computer science, and i did all the course types available - hyperlearning, exam questions, etc. it was so great cause for me all the info stuck when repeating the courses :smile: i got 9s in them, and would really recommend seneca to anybody.
Reply 4
Original post by casabonita
i didn't have the guaranteed 7-9 version, but i had the like middle package for seneca premium! it was my main source of revision for biology, chem, physics, and computer science, and i did all the course types available - hyperlearning, exam questions, etc. it was so great cause for me all the info stuck when repeating the courses :smile: i got 9s in them, and would really recommend seneca to anybody.

congrats on the grades! would u recommend it for essay based subjects?? did u use the courses for any other subjects? what what u use for revision alongside seneca? sorry if im asking too many questions lol, but thanks for ur feedback:smile::wink:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by anticorn04
congrats on the grades! would u recommend it for essay based subjects?? did u use the courses for any other subjects? what what u use for revision alongside seneca? sorry if im asking too many questions lol, but thanks for ur feedback:smile::wink:

i tried the course for english lit too, but it wasn't that helpful - instead i just used quizlet to remember quotes, and we'd plan essays and analyse characters in class. i used seneca for one of my history topics (it didn't have my other 3) and it was so great for that! i used it a bit for rs too, but it was just okay. it wasn't great for german either - it was just a lot of vocab which was quite boring!

for the sciences, i'd do the seneca course quite a lot of times until i felt strong in all my knowledge, then i'd use the cgp workbook (the white book full of exam questions) and practice papers nearer to the time! the cgp workbooks are great, like everyone says, practice questions are the key to exams! get to know what the mark scheme wants, and it'll really help with ur exam technique.
Reply 6
Original post by casabonita
i tried the course for english lit too, but it wasn't that helpful - instead i just used quizlet to remember quotes, and we'd plan essays and analyse characters in class. i used seneca for one of my history topics (it didn't have my other 3) and it was so great for that! i used it a bit for rs too, but it was just okay. it wasn't great for german either - it was just a lot of vocab which was quite boring!

for the sciences, i'd do the seneca course quite a lot of times until i felt strong in all my knowledge, then i'd use the cgp workbook (the white book full of exam questions) and practice papers nearer to the time! the cgp workbooks are great, like everyone says, practice questions are the key to exams! get to know what the mark scheme wants, and it'll really help with ur exam technique.

thanks so much for your response :smile: ive got the cgp workbook so il make sure to make the most of it! good luck with ur a levels (or whatever ur doing now) :wink:
Original post by anticorn04
thanks so much for your response :smile: ive got the cgp workbook so il make sure to make the most of it! good luck with ur a levels (or whatever ur doing now) :wink:

thank you so much! good luck with your gcses, hope they work out well for you!
Reply 8
How much did you pay for it? You don't need to sign up for overpriced websites that "guarantee grades 7-9". What a ridiculous claim. You're guaranteed 7s, 8s and 9s through hard work. There are already a multitude of other (free) resources available online for every subject. Please, for anybody else reading this, don't buy into websites like this that charge extortionate amounts for what they are. Everything can be learnt free of charge with a textbook and exam papers if needs be.
Original post by Racsoix
How much did you pay for it? You don't need to sign up for overpriced websites that "guarantee grades 7-9". What a ridiculous claim. You're guaranteed 7s, 8s and 9s through hard work. There are already a multitude of other (free) resources available online for every subject. Please, for anybody else reading this, don't buy into websites like this that charge extortionate amounts for what they are. Everything can be learnt free of charge with a textbook and exam papers if needs be.

That’s true. I think the only thing you’re really paying for is the convenience of it being all in one place.
Original post by JakeTSR
That’s true. I think the only thing you’re really paying for is the convenience of it being all in one place.

That's what a textbook is for.
Just do all the courses, if you don't get at least a 7, you will get your money back.

but i feel like seneca isn't great for self teaching
Seneca is probably not effective use of your time - it goes over stuff too briefly and personally, i don't think it's a great source of revision. Buying the CGP revision guide specifically for each exam board and learning the content in that will easily get you 9s.
The idea with Seneca is that you use it regularly, and it will direct you to content you haven't previously done well on in the future. This is called spaced practice, and it's a concept with a lot of evidence behind it. However, with Seneca, this will only work if you use the site regularly. If you use it for a few weeks and then stop, then obviously it won't work as well.

I think the promise of guaranteed grades is ridiculous though- especially in more essay based subjects. AFIAK, seneca just focuses on retrieval of content, rather than the exam skills you will need to get top grades. That's not to say you shouldn't use it, just that you need to be doing past paper questions too and getting used to the markschemes.

For most subjects, it's only the second year of 1-9 grades as well, so there could be some surprises in marking.

Quick Reply